PDA

View Full Version : CX292 birdstrikes? What happened?

geh065
4th Nov 2000, 17:44
Heard that CX292, an A340 from Rome to HKG the other day hit some birds on takeoff and had trouble in two engines.

Does anyone know exactly what trouble? We took a few pax on our FRA flight and they told one of our cabin crew that after the incident the airbus crew looked 'shaken up'!!

spannersatcx
4th Nov 2000, 21:41
Hit a flock of approx 20 birds after take off. Some down the engs 2 and 4 I believe. Landed ok, no real damage, boroscope inspections c/o, reversers had to be locked out on 2 and 4, so would imagine it flew back without pax onbd.

Checkmate
5th Nov 2000, 09:05
I notice Chen gave the Rome ground staff a big pat on the back in his Friday telex, but the flight deck did not get a mention. Well for what it's worth, Checkers thinks you did an excellent job. Well done chaps!

Thrust
5th Nov 2000, 11:00
Thought the same thing myself Checkers. You can see the management attitude starts at the top. Take note NR and co that this attitude will not be tolerated for much longer.

Yes, well done pilots.

satcom
6th Nov 2000, 07:50
They must think it is pilot error.

electricjetjock
7th Nov 2000, 10:04
The flightdeck did very very well in this incident! A great pity our "leaders" decided not to thank them in the weekly letter. Cx was very close to.....

Yes 20 or so birds on takeoff at V1, as far as the the ground staff and "gingerbeers" at FCO were aware. Initially ENG 2 severe vibrations shortly after airborne, crew thinking of jettisoning fuel and shutting it down. ENG 3 now has severe vibrations, Captain rightly elects for immediate return and overweight landing on 16R. They apparently shutdown 2 & 3 on the runway. Investigation reveals ENG's 2 & 3 & 4 with birdstrike damage, also it was a max weight takeoff!!! So think about it.

They apparently had to change fan blades on two engines.

So come on DT etc thank the boys and girls.

------------------
Keep smiling!!!!

[This message has been edited by electricjetjock (edited 07 November 2000).]

[This message has been edited by electricjetjock (edited 07 November 2000).]

spannersatcx
7th Nov 2000, 14:51
electricjetjock, didn't say or mean to imply it was easy, that's all I knew at the time.

electricjetjock
7th Nov 2000, 16:49
Sorry spannersatcx, we are all a little uptight at the moment I misread your comments.

------------------
Keep smiling!!!!

MaxThrust
11th Nov 2000, 08:27
If this is the response we get from managment when a good job is done, imagine the way they will throw pilots to the wolves when one of us does screw up. SIA's support for their guys will look positvely charitable