PDA

View Full Version : QF to REMOVE Crew Rest for FA's

Chicken or Fish?
27th Jan 2005, 03:59
Current story from QCC Syd is that Geoff is planning to remove Cabin Crew Rest on all aircraft.

His aim is 2 fold. One to reclaim these seats for improving load factors and two, to ensure Cabin Crew are "Visable" to the pax for more of the flight instead of hiding away down the back or in crew rest.

This view of not enough service during the "whole flight" has come via feedback from some pax during recent product surveys undertaken by QF.

Hmm.. more conditions slowing slipping away. Anybody heard the story TITANIC?

:mad: :mad: :mad:

SydGirl
27th Jan 2005, 04:53
If Geoff removed the crew rest on board the aircraft, then there'd be no service at all since all the FA's will be collapsing in the aisles after being on their feet for 14 hour stints. This is aside from the mutiny it would create with crew and the FAAA.

Good luck if he wants to remove the OCRF on the 747-400 and sell that to pax!!!!!

Will he be selling off the tech crew rest as well? HA!!

SG
:}

GalleyHag
27th Jan 2005, 05:50
Isn't there a legal (EBA) requirement for crew rest? Maybe the LHR base doesn't have a crew rest provision though!

jettlager
27th Jan 2005, 08:48
Someone tell the dickhe@d that he needs help.

It staggers me to think that anyone would be of the opinion that denying the cabin crew's physiological and psychological need for rest is going to improve cabin service, given the jetlag and horrendous hours that we work.

I can picture it now.
4 AM local time and eight crew all standing around in the back galley staring at each other for hours on end with all in the cabin fast asleep, nobody stirring, not even a mouse.

Come breakfast time those eight crew who will now have been awake for more than 24 hours and so tired that they want to puke, will be smiling from ear to ear and giving great service.....................not!!!!!

Surely NOT EVEN QF management could be THAT stupid.............................?

Jettlager

P.S. I am worried.

OTOH maybe geoff should look into the possibility of having genetically engineered FA's that dont need food, rest sleep or pay.

Vending machines anyone?????

TightSlot
27th Jan 2005, 11:46
Before all this slides into predicatable territory, I wondered if you QF folks could help us non-QF crew better to understand the current crew rest arrangements and facilities at QF. For example...

What crew rest facilities are available on different aircraft types?
What sector lengths are they used on?
Is Crew Rest a legislative requirement, or part of a union agreement?

Thanks in anticipation.

qfcsm
28th Jan 2005, 00:31
In the long haul cabin crew arena:

767 aircraft have 4 economy seats blocked off and curtained.
747-300 aircraft have 6 economy seats blocked off and curtained.
747-400 aircraft have 2 economy seats and 2 reclinable crew jump seats plus the overhead crew rest (8 bunks).

The provisions above are mandatory regardless of the sector length.

On long range sectors (> 12 hours) horizontal rest must be provided. This is automatic on the 747-400 and is loaded below the floor in a special freight can on 747-300. Although QF has been blocking 6 rows of 4 economy seats in lieu of the can on Mumbai flights to save freight space.

Long haul cabin crew are entitled to 20 mins off in the first 6 hours and a further 20 mins in every next 4 hours.

All the conditions above are industrial entitlements prescribed in EBA documents. We have yet to secure regulatory conditions like our pilot colleagues.

Hope this helps.

RollzRoyce
28th Jan 2005, 03:56
Hey Guys!

No need to panic, Just spoke to a Qantas Commercial Engineer who is involved in the seats section and rest assured that the removal of crew rest will not happen. It's a rumor! Qantas may even install IFE in A380 seats for crew rest. I think its better than staring in the dark if you can't fall asleep. At least you will have a movie to watch.

Rollz :ok:

TightSlot
28th Jan 2005, 04:14
Thanks qfcsm for taking the time to answer - I O U 1

Blue Mullode
29th Jan 2005, 19:53
to ensure Cabin Crew are "Visable" to the pax for more of the flight instead of hiding away down the back You can see the logic in this. Would be good to get more than one drink per flight. Won't exactly be service with a smile though. genetically engineered FA's that dont need food, rest sleep or pay. Factor in a libido-tweak while they're at it. And still have energy to PARTAY instead of slam-clicking and boiling their knickers and noodles in the hotel-room kettle.

Let the good times roll.........................

By the way, it is a fact that some airlines out there operating into Australia do so on these long-haul sectors without even always having a row of economy seats blocked off, let alone a crew rest. You may consider yourselves to be offically still lucky.

Maybe it's just a matter of getting used to it. The asian FAs currently being hired have a different pain threshold when it comes to fatigue and have no qualms when it comes to securing a job. You have to become competitive or watch more of ya jobs disappear.

Butterfield8
30th Jan 2005, 02:15
There will come a day in the not too distant future when the detrimental effects of longhaul flying will become public knowledge.It won`t be pretty.Fatigue will count high amongst these effects.Sectors in excess of 14 hours reduce human response times to that of someone with a blood alcohol content of .08 .Kill yourself driving home after a sector like this and your employer should be held responsible.Has your employer(airline)warned you of the dangers....not bloody likely!!
Employers have a duty of care to provide a safe and healthy work environment.At the very least you should be warned of what flying is doing to you.Do some googling..the information is there and for any reasonable person it is a cause for concern.I love what I do but I would like to be informed of the health downside so I can take measures to negate some of these effects.
As for Blue Mullode(registered JAN 2005)no one gets used to fatigue or jet lag ..you just learn to live with it.Blew My Load,the name says it all.Just another mangement troll who comes out of the woodwork expounds something uninformed and moronic then disappears adding nothing intelligent to the discussion at hand

r3please
30th Jan 2005, 04:02
Blue Mullode - Want another drink? Ask for it, I'll give you some nuts too..

As for the Asian crew being hired (Thai's) I'm sure CASA would love me to report to them every time I see them nodding off in their crew seats during take off and landing. They are so exhausted all the time due to their rostering by QF ops. Not the Thai crews fault, they are just too tired to be operating.

apaddyinuk
30th Jan 2005, 22:13
I think someone is spinning a rumour for Galley FM!!! QF is a major ultra-longhaul operator and knows that it cannot remove crew rest for regulatory reasons!!!

Bodum
31st Jan 2005, 00:29
Interesting...

Whilst there are clauses in the EBA protecting the Crew rest Facility, just have a look at what the company is doing to Short Haul Crew at the moment.. :confused:

We have a 4 day Singapore and on the last day we operate SIN-DRW-ADL-SYD all in one hit..its rostered at 13 hours 20 mins but always goes over 14 hours as they cant turn the stupid A330-300 around quick enough. Crew rest is provided.. 4 seats in the cabin right in front of the Left 3 toilet and next to the two centre toilets.. Its absolutely charming hearing that vacuum flush and doors banging and people popping their heads in to see "Whats behind the curtain" :suspect:

Its totally useless anyway because the type of service we do and these sector times usually means some crew dont even get a break, especially the on board manager..

A sign of things to come :yuk:

GalleyHag
31st Jan 2005, 06:57
apaddyinuk - you are being far to kind with the "major ultra-long haul operator" business. Maybe 15 years ago!!

Blue Mullode
31st Jan 2005, 08:49
As for butterfield 8 who registered all the way back a couple of months ago (wow...... oldtimer!!) what makes you think I know nothing about fatigue or jetlag? You remember the old adage about the perception of a fool and opening one's mouth, etc, etc, don't you? How many years have you been in this game? Two??? Wow.

So anyone who disagrees with your strident opinions is a management troll. I see.......... :rolleyes:

It's not surprising you don't like the idea if you're the one having to adopt someone else's standard instead of them improving to yours. Naturally you won't like it but you may have to learn to work harder. Other airlines have different standards that qantas has to match. Why is this simple concept so difficult for you to understand? you should be warned of what flying is doing to you.
Well what can I say. If you go on your first flight and end up absolutely shagged at the end and you still can't figure out it will be like that every time and you can't imagine it might not be the best for you then I'm sorry but you may be in line for a Darwin Award eventually. How did you make it this far????

This level of self-awareness is what dictates your remuneration.

Blue Mullode
31st Jan 2005, 09:42
Well what if I am? (contemplating or too lazy) To each his own. I don't see anything wrong with either of those.

Maybe you should try it. With your exit-only inclinations there might even be something in it for you what with the rank and file being infested with 'biters and 'packers.... just to get you through the day, mind you.

Meanwhile back to the intelligent discussion.

The detrimental effects of longhaul flying ARE ALREADY public knowledge just as the detrimental effects of smoking are. No big secrets there. Will you be taking McDonalds to court soon for not telling you their food halped make you fat?

TightSlot
31st Jan 2005, 09:47
Behave!

Blue Mullode & The Enema Bandit - Keep the thread on topic and avoid personal attacks or have the option to post on this thread removed.

q--tee
31st Jan 2005, 13:15
Bodum

no offence intended darls, but we at longhaul have done that particular sector for years .... on the 767 .... same issues. Maybe if shorthaul didnt want it they shouldnt have voted for it? Sorry, but as you guys are cheaper you will get those long ones :p was you at shorthaul that voted up the ability for the company to make you do it! Again no offence - but if you want to whinge, then do it to your union!

The SIN-DRW-ADL-SYD sectors were always very popular (senior) with longhaul crew .... it was always a very short trip with very high hours ... one of those 'three- day- beauts' a fortnight and your roster was done :)

As far as removing crew rest from ALL aircraft? Well, I would love to see QF spending the $$$$$ removing the o/head crew rest on the 744. It is too expensive for QF to go through the cost of CASA reporting/ modification approval just to remove the ashtrays from outside the loos on our planes!!!!! ... let alone removing a whole area containing 8 bunks and assoicated equipment.

A wind- up , this thread is ;)

GalleyHag
31st Jan 2005, 22:40
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The SIN-DRW-ADL-SYD sectors were always very popular (senior) with longhaul crew .... it was always a very short trip with very high hours ... one of those 'three- day- beauts' a fortnight and your roster was done
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No offence q-tee but thats why short haul crew are doing those trips.

captainrats
1st Feb 2005, 09:17
Let`s assume BM is a ground person....starts work around 08.30 and finishes around 17.30-18.00.He may have a morning tea break around 10.30-11.00 and has worked maybe 3hours.Lunch will be around 13.00 for perhaps an hour.The company he works for may have a canteen or he may get to go to a nearby cafe.He works another4.5 hours and goes home.During the day he may make some personal phone calls and if he smokes goes outside to indulge himself.He may even surf the net on the company time.
Ok let`s modify his work environment.First he is not allowed to leave his office,workstation whatever.He is no longer allowed to smoke.He can longer go to the canteen and no longer surf the net.He is no longer allowed to have a pee until his work is done.Also his workday is increased from 8-9 hours to 14-15 hours.We will then decrease his available oxygen by 6-8% and also increase carbon monoxide levels in his workspace by around 15%.Next we will increase the noise output of his air conditioner to that of a jet engine and we will also put a 3 degree slant on his workplace floor.His eating will be conducted standing up next to a garbage disposal and share a space 2 metres wide and a metre and a half long with 6 other people.If his employer needs him he must respond even if he is still eating.He must also be able to see in the dark and remember at least 8 requests from clients and their respective telephone numbers
If he is lucky he may be allowed 20 mins off in his first 6 hours of work.If he is even luckier we may give him another 20 mins in the next 4 hours.If he is working overnight he may have his rest in a seat Too bad if he is are over 175cms.
Which environment/conditions would you rather have?
Simple choice really.

jettlager
1st Feb 2005, 10:35
Captainrats,

thanks for that post.
I'm reminded that I had better "try" and get some sleep as I have call in a few hours for a 14 hour TOD.
You described the coming working day AND NIGHT perfectly.
Thanks..............I think!!

--------------------

bluemolode,
your name really does say it all.

Jettlager

qfcsm
1st Feb 2005, 20:53
CaptainRats,

Bloody awesome --- love your work.
Can't wait for my next sector... :zzz:
Now I know why I am sick and tired of being sick and tired!

Animalclub
2nd Feb 2005, 02:27
qfcsm

Why don't you withdraw your labour... change jobs. If you're sick and tired of doing it (your words) you cannot be doing your job to the best of your ability... or doing your company any good.

If your nom de guerre is your job - you do have a good job and well paid. If the responsibility is too much request a demotion.

Yes, I've been there - only it was on DC3s (on my own) on multi sectors where I had to help load the cargo/baggage/catering, do the load sheets and serve the meals, etc. AND it was a bloody long day... not quite as long SINLON and SYDLAX... and the crew had no airconditioning, meal breaks, crew rest, etc.

I loved it.

qfcsm
2nd Feb 2005, 04:39
Hey you Animal,

My post was done tongue in cheek but having said that I will be out of here as quick as you can 'redundancy'!
That's all I'm waiting for - the package.

And bully for you working on the old dacca.
Our collective hearts bleed for the ol' bloke... :ooh:

Animalclub
2nd Feb 2005, 13:19
qfcsm

It appears that it would pay your employer to offer you redundancy right now... just for the temper that you have shown.

Please, try to enjoy your job - and keep calm.

Yes, at times I am an animal.

Cheers

TSSOV
6th Feb 2005, 02:13
Re: The 82 (SID DRW ADL SYD)

I have spoken to quite a few ex LHers who have assured me that LH CC have never operated the last sector of the 82. I have heard the same thing from my tech crew friends. My flat mate used to do the 82 as a S/O many times a roster for three years. They (tech and CC) either used to o/night in ADL or pax home on the last leg. Did I read your post wrong... or were you saying that LH CC operated all the way through?

I have a HKG next week. Coming back via MEL all in one hit... 13:30hr duty... flying through the night, ill sign off at about 11am (if we are ontime). I'm legal to work at 0515 the next day. Does this happen at LH??

jettlager
6th Feb 2005, 02:30
TTSOV,

qtee's advanced age may be the reason for her often "confused" state. But we do need to look after the elderly.

We did the sector as far as Adelaide and then slipped.
The other sector you mentioned is routine for us and we are legal with 1 local night if it is a 3/4 day trip.

No offense intended but domestic are doing this flying because your union agreed to undercut us in pay and conditions.

All complaints ought to be directed to the domestic FAAA.

Jettlager

P.S. A Longhaul collegue of mine has a doona and pillow permanently in his car.
He sleeps for an hour or two before attempting the M5 drive to Camden.
I called it, "vomiting tired". You never do get used to it.

TSSOV
6th Feb 2005, 06:16
I wasnt complaining jettlager. Just wanted to clarify.

:D

My mission is to not fall asleep on the train home after a horror. I did it this morning! *pat on the back for me*
I didn't know if i wanted to vomit or pass out when I got home. (This was all self inflicted tho;) )