PDA

View Full Version : Jetstar Asia Ups The Ante

Wirraway
27th Jan 2005, 03:15
Thu "Australian Financial Review"

Jetstar Asia Ups The Ante
January 27th, 2005
Tansy Harcourt

The no-frills airline remains undeterred by a fierce price war, writes Tansy Harcourt.

Qantas's Singapore-based airline, Jetstar Asia, has vowed to fight the double impact of cut-throat competition and a natural disaster at one of its first destinations with more services rather than a retreat.

The arrival of no-frills airline Jetstar Asia in December has triggered a brutal price war in the region, as Singapore Airlines responded swiftly to prevent the Qantas-owned carrier from taking its passengers.

But despite prices dropping by as much as 78 per cent since Jetstar Asia moved into Singapore Airlines' home market, Qantas chief financial officer Peter Gregg said there was no need to lengthen the company's forecast for when its low-cost offshoot would make a profit.

"Not yet," Mr Gregg said. "What we are looking at is rapid expansion."

Jetstar Asia had announced that it would fly to destinations across six countries over the course of the next few months, and has now stated it will fly 12 routes.

The decision to expand in the face of increased competition has been a major contributor to the fall from grace over the past five months of Australian low-cost carrier Virgin Blue.

Virgin Blue blamed its first profit downgrade last year on expanding more quickly than it could sell new seats. It was a strategy devised as a pre-emptive strike on Qantas's new Australian budget carrier Jetstar, which started flying last May.

The airline was forced to issue another profit warning last week, after finding heavy discounting on airfares had not stimulated travel as much as first thought.

Mr Gregg, however, said the competition Jetstar Asia faced was far tougher than what had occurred in Australia because there was no competition regulator presiding over prices from Singapore.

"The competition we are seeing is not like that you would experience in Australia because the authorities would not let it happen," Mr Gregg said. Not that he was whingeing, he said, or backing away from a battle.

"We are big boys. We knew the rules going in up there. It's just that people talk about wanting more competition in Australia and, if so, we would like it to be on the same terms," he said.

The call for more competition in Australia has been coming from Singapore Airlines, which is trying to remove the barriers blocking it from accessing routes between Australia and the US.

Singapore Airlines has argued that if Qantas can start an airline competing on its important business routes such as Singapore/Hong Kong, then it, too, should be allowed to compete with Qantas on its most attractive routes.

Singapore Airlines' low-cost carrier, Tiger Airways, said last week it expected to break even in its first year of operation.

Last year, Qantas chief executive Geoff Dixon said Jetstar Asia, would "be profitable within 12 months."

The airline started with services to Shanghai, Hong Kong and Taipei, and announced that Pattaya, Jakarta, Surabaya and Manila would come on line in January.

The airline's projections for Pattaya have been affected by the Boxing Day tsunami, which has deterred travel to Thailand.

==========================================

Sunfish
27th Jan 2005, 03:48
Thanks for posting this Woomera. I wonder how much cash J* Asia has? I wonder if Qantas is going to have to use its own cash to prop it up?

Capt Fathom
27th Jan 2005, 09:16
Don't forget that Qantas is only a 49% stakeholder!

sport
27th Jan 2005, 10:04
It's great when you have a media mongul on the board you can make your own news. And make it sound all good, but the news out of Singapore is that Jetstar have serious manpower problems that aren't getting any better. It may need an injection of Qantas staff to save the day.

HSWL
27th Jan 2005, 10:25
Any jobs up there for Aussie GA pilots who could be persuaded to buy an A320 or B737 rating just to get a foot in the jet door?

Keg
27th Jan 2005, 11:30
When I first started on PPRUNE in '99, I was used to seeing that sort of phrase used for asking about going to the Top End for flying. I never thought at that stage I'd see it when it came to 'major' airlines! :mad:

Alas, now I can't see how it will ever stop. Perhaps when Harbison's 'labour shortage' appears in five years time people may be able to stop paying for their initial training- at least until the next 'bust' after that comes around. :ouch: :suspect: :{

Sunfish
27th Jan 2005, 20:02
Capt. Fathom, although QF has only 49% of J* Asia, that doesn't necessarily mean it would only need to contribute 49% of the cash if more is needed. The details would be in the shareholders agreement - which you and I are never going to see.

Good luck QF. You just might be the first non - asian business to make a profit out of Asia!

Australia2
28th Jan 2005, 03:21
G'Day Keg,

You certainly got it right there - seem's to have become the norm now in many people's eyes. When I kicked off even a self-funded metro endorsement was considered a bit rough. Great people like Jerry to thank for this legacy.
The precedent would simply not be tolerated in any other career path - maybe it will change with " the shortage" - would be nice for the guys on the way up but I'm not holding my breath.

Cheers Oz2

B A Lert
7th Feb 2005, 03:22
Anyone have any update about how Jetstar Asis is really travelling? I hear mixed reports, but the general concensus is that they have idle crew and aircraft sitting around for want of somehwre to fly.

Is this a very expensive investment for the bovver boys at Mascot?

QFinsider
7th Feb 2005, 10:28
There ain't no virgin to kick around in singapore....

The spin doctors won't admit it hurts, son of kerry assures that...I'm sure the company will be burning cash..
Would love to see the cashflow...the real one! With all the borrowed infrastructure and people I am sure it all looks good, particularly when mainline carries the real cost for Geoffries folly...

The accountants will be busy polishing this thing but even with multiple coats it is still a T*rd
:E