PDA

View Full Version : Rex & Virgin

The Stooge
26th Jan 2005, 21:17
How does this work, if memory serves me correctly it was only a matter of a month or two ago that Virgin was strongly hinting that Rex is in need of a rather large bail out package. I think Rex is doing rather well. We dont hear anything about Rex's proffits on a downturn, granted we are not a public company, however Rex is Australias largest indipendant regional and if things were going pear shaped it would screw a lot of regional centres, who would have a lot to say about that. No matter who you are, for an aviation company to turn a $35m loss into a $1.5m proffit something has to be going right. None of us are too keen on Qantas but lets see them nock them down a peg or two. :ok:

questil
26th Jan 2005, 22:59
Cheers Stooge
Perhaps its human nature that people like to hear about negative things, Its never good to hear about companys going under as the knockon effect is detrimental to many families relying on those hard to get jobs. With the growing trend of cost cutting and lcc the goal posts are continually changing and what seen once as a pot of gold is now being eroded. However aviation is not the only industry this is happening to. The increasing impact of globalisation has seen many industries suffer
with local jobs going offshore to to the lowest bidder (ie call centres based in India, and increased manufacturing in china.
Back to the topic now
Go Rex!!!!!!!!!

Metro36
2nd Feb 2005, 08:57
From Go Rex!
I'm sorry but one of the most cruisiest jobs in aviation in Oz is a job with Rex based in Adelaide. Every pilot here loves it and those on the SAAB will never leave it (sucks for those M23 drivers). The money may never equate (at this stage) to the big lifestyle but I do love spending time with my daughter & son.
Rex is stong and Rex will grow towards big regional turbo-prop stuff. It will be a pleasure to fly with anyone in this group.

Eastwest Loco
2nd Feb 2005, 10:31
Rex in it's current form is as strong as it was in the Kendell days.

It is a robust and reliable little airline with excellent personell, great yield management and a will to survive.

The only time I can remember them foundering was when the AN beancounters descended on Wagga virtually at the moment Don was on the table being operated on for his cancers.

At this time they changed all the yield management practices to the (obviously in hindsight) flawed AN theorums. The SYD CBR run went fron $100K profit per month to $100K loss per month within weeks.

Now is the time for them to reintroduce a minimum of 3 flights a day from DPO as well as BWT, because come 01 July, Agents will be selling them first and QF Link second with 1% commission and adding fee for service.

This is sad for my mates at AF Link. They are good people and great mates, but the coal face needs a pay cheque, and the punters will take the cheapest fare.

Best

EWL