PDA

View Full Version : Boeing vs Airbus

Gunship
26th Jan 2005, 19:51
Met an old friend at the pool in the week. (Capt on A340-200) Had a lekker discussion on the Airbus vs Boeing arguments.

Anyone wants to make comments on "who's the best" out of an "African conditions" perspective?

I have flown in the A320 / 340 - 200 / 300 and 600 and as a pax I am hughly impressed !

Silence is Golden (like in the great B727) :p

Margarita
27th Jan 2005, 03:40
My favorite airplane as passenger is A 330. What a beauty to travel with! Boeing 757/767 can never get even close.
M

V1 Rotate
29th Jan 2005, 16:35
Can't go economy in an A340 as I am 6 feet and my legs wont fit.
Have to go in a 757, 767, 747 or 777 just so I don't get cramped.

Also I don't particularily like it in the back so I prefer the Boeings as they are much faster so it's over quicker.
V1 :cool:

B1300
29th Jan 2005, 16:50
i heard this story from a retired United Airlines captain, "United did a test flight on the A340-200, after the test flight they informed Airbus that if they put 2 more engines on the 200, United might be interested in puttting an order in!!

So i believe the A340 200-300 is a little bit underpowered!!

Angel`s Playmate
30th Jan 2005, 09:26
Gunship ,

have you been to CMB within the last two weeks ? Met a nice bunch of SA Heli guys, doing some relief work there, and wonder if you might had been one of those !?

BTW: My vote goes definitely to Boeing !

Cheers

Angel:ok:

Gunship
30th Jan 2005, 09:36
Morning Angel ...

Sjees it is early and I am still shocked by the useless as*&^%$ s we selected for the first ODI ...

Uhmm sorry but you caught me on CMB ???

Explain pse (I have a babbalas) ;) :yuk:

Cheers,

No Gunsss

B Sousa
30th Jan 2005, 12:30
Boeing.......and not because its from the states......

Gunship
30th Jan 2005, 12:33
:p Why Bert ? beacuse it is clean to the enviroment with less engines ? :E

vfenext
30th Jan 2005, 12:35
V1 - The seat pitch is up to the individual operator not the manufacturer so talk to your airline.
B1300 - The 340 is underpowered thats why it's more economical than it's rivals. It conserves fuel like it's running on air. It might take a little longer to get to altitude but once it's there it goes forever. Anywway now the 340-600 has much better engine perf. The 330-200 is a very powerful machine and also great fuel efficiency, burns about 5000kg/hr and will maintain high VS all the way to FL370 at gross wt of 230000kg. Beats a 777 any day!

Gunship
30th Jan 2005, 12:39
Aha - we have another bus fan :ok:

Aviate378
8th Feb 2005, 09:21
vfenext

"... 330-200 beats a 777 any day ...! "

So, maybe you could explain us all why airlines, among the Emirates, are now changing their Airbus orders to 777's??? Oh, let me anwer for you; It's because 777 is a superior aircraft, it does everything the 330-200 does but has an unsurpassed cargo carrying capability!

Rhodie
8th Feb 2005, 11:20
Boeing, thank yew very much....

You will not see me in the A380....... ever......

unless, of course, Sir Richard sees this and gives me a first class pass.... then, just maybe... then again, nah...

Cheers

R

Solid Rust Twotter
8th Feb 2005, 11:49
Seen plenty of Boeing and Douglas airliners operating into bush strips. Still waiting for the Airbus.......

Get the impression Boeing is just that bit more rugged than the Fantastic Plastic from Toulouse.

B Sousa
8th Feb 2005, 13:00
eet es de new Platique Fantastique...............
There is a place for the 380, but it has to be between big hubs, London, Paris, New York, Tokyo etc. A half empty 380 leaving from JNB would bankrupt most airlines.......
Today the aircraft in place are doing an adequate job, that goes for both manufacturers.

vfenext
8th Feb 2005, 13:27
Having flown both all I can say is the bus wins hands down. Think you will find the orders for Boeing are not as great as you think, and the orders they do have tend to be political rather than based on any real belief in the aircraft. So far the elusive 7E7 is all talk and no action, they don't have enough orders to even consider building it. By orders I mean firm commitments not just options which are ten a penny.

contraxdog
9th Feb 2005, 01:15
vfenext, I asked someone that flew both as well and said the Boeing evry time. I dont thnk you will see AB surviving the african conditions, or the operators abuse as long as Boeing has. I bet one of those snake oil salesmen with the berets could try and convince me as well. (My hand is cupped behind my back boys, Im ready)
It aint going if it aint boeing.

vfenext
9th Feb 2005, 04:22
So you mean to tell me if an airline offers you a job on an airbus you will come up with that silly phrase and turn them down.......eh yeah right! BOEING BOEING GONE!!!!

gofor
9th Feb 2005, 08:35
Whether or not airbus can handle african conditions is not the point - there just simply are not 30 -40 year old busses. The fluffy/diesel8's/727's/707's/dc-9's genre can not go many places these days due noise issues and are simply too cheap for Africans not to buy. Why no busses doing the run about in Africa is simple cost to buy economics - methinks?

contraxdog
10th Feb 2005, 15:51
vfenext,

Unless they install THE BIG RED BUTTON in them, the phrase will be thanks but no thanks. If it aint Boeing, I aint going.......

Any body heard of A/busses operating in and out of dirts strips, mud strips and sand strips. Would really like to hear about it. ( not trying to compare .......)

Not all of you at once pleaseeee!

Waiting.........

Vfenext,

Airlines dont offer jobs to pilots. Pilots have to beg for jobs from airlines. And once they get the nod, they have to pay their way into a seat. That is the way things get done theeeese days

So I am safe! because they dont offer, I dont ask,and I dont have the money to pay to get into the seat, even if they did manage to install the BIG RED BUTTON....

vfenext
10th Feb 2005, 17:18
Been flying a long time and never had to beg for a job yet. Can't see why anyone would want to operate an Airbus in to a dirt strip, altough did a lot of that in GA aircraft. No idea what you are talking about when you say big red button, unless the aircraft you fly is made by Fisher Price. Wait a minute.....it all makes sense now....that chip on your shoulder needs removing! Leave it at home at your next interview you just might surprise yourself and get a job.

contraxdog
10th Feb 2005, 23:30
The biig red button, could have prevented it from becoming a biiig french built weed wacker.....
Long time, was that when flying was dangerous and sex was safe? I suppose if I remember correctly,thats the way it used to be, but you know its been a while.

The chip is there to stay, it keeps me honest, and humble. Prevents me from puckering up on demand, and off my knees.

I honestly wanted to know because I have some photos of fluffies doing just that, and it would have been nice to compare the mud patterns on the fuselage......

vfenext, all said in jest, they are most probably both great aircraft. Most probably.

vfenext
11th Feb 2005, 06:16
Enough said. Now off to play with lots of buttons!!

Warlock2000
15th Feb 2005, 01:11
As a pilot who gives a sh!t what you fly (have done both) as long as the routes are ok and result at the bottom right of your paysheet stays unaffected!

I have flown in Africa, and in my humble opinion, if operators could afford A310 Freighters, or if they were readily available, ALL other museum pieces cluttering African skies would disappear.

For the record, the A330-200 is the best all rounder I've laid my hands on.
;)

plamynou
15th Feb 2005, 12:21
there is no competition.Boeing will still be the best performer. I does'nt look like a watersnake swimming when you sit in the back row. Airbus A340 frightning.

vfenext
15th Feb 2005, 23:58
PLAMYNOU Better get used to taking the train my friend, the future does not bode well for you and any travel plans you might have! Obviously you have been listening to too much propaganda from your boeing buddies, still more jobs fro the rest of us!!

V1 Rotate
16th Feb 2005, 13:15
I saw a film once of the Airbus Boffins trying to do an unpaved landing at an airshow in their mother land.....
I think it resulted in one fatality......and a swath of dead pine trees! Not to mention all the mangled tupperware bits!

V1
:ooh: :ooh: :ooh:

Beechdrivr
16th Feb 2005, 15:39
This is turning into the usual pissing match between the different camps.

To all those guys and gals out there, if anyone offered you a job on an Airbus or a Boeing for that matter, would any of you turn it down because you don't like Airbus or you don't like Boeing?

I seriously doubt it!!!... i prefer Boeing but if i got a job offer on an Airbus i would take it in a flash... hey but that's just me:bored:

vfenext
16th Feb 2005, 16:57
Boeing have just launched their answer to the A380 it's ....wait for it....the 777ER WOW bet the guys in Toulouse are selling their houses and looking for jobs at Cessna!

Solid Rust Twotter
16th Feb 2005, 17:17
McDonnel Douglas..........:E

In the hot seat
22nd Feb 2005, 04:39
Any body heard of A/busses operating in and out of dirts strips, mud strips and sand strips. Would really like to hear about it

This one time, at Lusaka ...:E

I\'m a huge Airbus fan (except of course those first attempts at the A340!). Far more refined for a passenger. However, there is not a more beautiful sight on the planet than a B747 (in all it\'s variations). And it gives a better kick on take off too.

Talking about A340\'s ... These stories one hears of Spoories having to keep seats open just to make it between SA and the US, are they true? If so, they seriously need to come up with another plan. I\'m sure those B747-400 boys would LOVE the oppurtunity of flying to a destination that does not start with an "L".

London, Lagos, Luanda and again ... all together now, you know the words ... London, Lagos, Luanda. Oh the boredom:bored:

22nd Feb 2005, 08:04
He he he, its really amusing reading the various opinions and the reasons behind them.
Prefer Boeing myself, but there is no real reason behind it. They're fast and look sleek. How's that for scientific proof that the one is better than the other?

Beta Light
22nd Feb 2005, 08:11
U R not comparing apples with apples here Gent's.
If you want to talk dirt strips Africa, lets bring in the good old Herck. Flew both Herck's and 727's at Transafric. Herck did some trips 727 could not do.
Herck had no speed, so 727 did extra rotation a day on some runs.

As far as empty seats go, even at CX some flights leave with empty seats at Max. T.O.W. .....but the belly full of high yield live seafood for Asian market!

During SARS CX parked all the expencive aircraft, Boeing's were eating grass on the airfield while Airbus was flying, sipping fuel through a straw.

Talk freighter...Boeing your machine.....etc.etc.etc

Will fly anything for good lifestyle.

Vfe I agree with your points, but then it is because they are based on experiance, not like some others like "aint boeing aint going" or Big red buttom...

Give me lifestyle:ok:

tic
27th Feb 2005, 02:59
Unless you in 777, Airbus by far, is far more comfortable. Talking 330/340, as a passenger. As 767 jockey, try going into Khatmandu in one of those. TAS is very high, with flap blow-back common. The 330 cant slow down enough due to 1700' descent rate. 340 can, but due to 20800' mountain, (MSA), in front, with airfield elevation at just over 4000', it is not a good performer. 767/777/Airbus 300 works very well, even on 1 eng. MInd you, you have to stay within 4 DME of the KTM VOR, not to mention the descent from 16 DME at 11500' to 4000' with Monsoon rains, extreme turbulence, etc,and great difficulty deciphering what is the cb's and what is the ground returns. Red Red Red. Unfortunately, once you commit, you go, no left or right, but the entire proceedure, even through the cb, that you thought was a ground return. Cat C airport. This is definately where Boeing surpasses the rest. So when the $hit hits the fan it's Boeing anyday. I know.

contraxdog
27th Feb 2005, 06:27
I just dislike them for the pure reason that I dont like
1.P**g*t,
2.R*n**t,
3.C*tr**n,
4.D*ss**lt, etc, despite my Hugenote heritage. I prefer anything thats pitched against it.
They were all built with French Logic! Thats scares me!
Lets call it francophoibia.
I am working on my yankophobia.
Thats why I like flying a Japanese designed wings, as I love to drive Japanese designed wheels.

TIC(Tongue In Cheek?)

Jelly Doughnut
29th Mar 2005, 13:41
http://photobucket.com/albums/y55/dutch1/?action=view&current=Airbus2.bmp

MarkD
29th Mar 2005, 18:22
on operating DCs and Bs into rough strips, remember Airbus wouldn't make 380 fuselage plastic because they couldn't make promises on what would happen when overenthusiastic operators of airbridges, airstairs, baggage loaders etc. smacking into them. Thus the use of Li-Al alloys instead.

It will be interesting to see how Boeing proposes to reassure operators how to examine and resolve ground impact damage.

Gunship
30th Mar 2005, 03:17
Contraxdog:

Thats why I like flying a Japanese designed wings, as I love to drive Japanese designed wheels.

You oke's up North are getting soft mate :E

Spoke to the guys in the Kalahari - Upington area and nobody drives a Ford anymore (my days it was just Ford F100 / F150 and of course the unstopable F250 !)

All Toyota ... PS: Gunss also changed back to his fav ... yes a Cruizer :ok:

Back to the topic : I have spoken a lot lately to bus drivers and they all had a very common answer out of a pilot's viewpoint and that is the ease of conversions and understanding between the various Airbus models.

Not much difference between a 319 / 320 / 340 - 200 / 400 / 600 etc .. yeah Bert I noticed one has more engines mate ;)

All of them say " UNDERPOWERED" :ugh:

All of them says " BEST MARKETING PEOPLE EVER MET " (those that will sell you a Ford when you wanted a Prado Contraxdog ;)

They (SAA) also had a fuel problem (as per the incident where a Canadian Bus glided the longest distance ever recoreded (with pax) to an island off Europe). This has happened to an SAA a/c as well and the negative side is the Frogs brush it off and they are sure to this day nothing has been done to the a/c system - just a change in procedures to :mad: the computer's brain around.

I do not know if it is because they fly them but other than that the drivers really like them that I talked to.

Have a nice day now :ok:

Gunss

cargodoor
30th Mar 2005, 10:28
I think Grommet might be a boeing driver, in which case I would rather be on an airbus out of JHB flying north of the Limpopo!
B Sousa might just agree on this one!! :E :E