PDA

View Full Version : 31 Marines killed in chopper crash

RDRickster
26th Jan 2005, 15:27
http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/meast/01/26/iraq.main/index.html

http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/interactive/maps/world/iraq.chopper.crash/dateline.iraq.arrutbah.gif

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- Thirty-one Marines were killed in a helicopter crash near Iraq's border with Jordan, bringing the number of U.S. troops killed Wednesday to 36 -- the deadliest day for U.S. forces since the start of the war in Iraq.

Four U.S. Marines were killed during combat in Iraq's Al-Anbar province, and a U.S. soldier died when insurgents attacked a combat patrol north of Baghdad, according to the U.S. military.

The cause of the chopper crash was not immediately known and is being investigated, according to the military.

Wednesday's death toll surpassed the 31 U.S. forces killed on March 23, 2003 -- four days after the start of the war in Iraq. Twenty-nine of them died in combat that day.

Wednesday's incidents brought the U.S. death toll in the war to 1,417.

The transport helicopter crashed near Ar Rutbah in western Iraq about 1:20 a.m. local time (5:20 p.m. Tuesday ET). (Map)

It was carrying personnel from the 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing and the 1st Marine Division.

Military officials said a search and rescue team was at the site and an investigation of the crash was under way.

The four Marines who died Wednesday were killed during combat operations in Iraq's Al-Anbar province, according to a military news release. The Marines were assigned to the 1st Marine Expeditionary Force. Ar Rutbah is also in Al-Anbar province.

Elsewhere, a U.S. soldier was killed Wednesday when insurgents attacked a combat patrol with grenades near Ad Duluiyah, military officials said.

The soldier, from the 1st Infantry Division, died and two others were wounded in the attack about 11:20 a.m. (3:20 a.m. ET). The injured were taken to a military hospital for treatment; one was in serious condition.

Lu Zuckerman
27th Jan 2005, 18:10
England went into a major mourning period for the loss of four soldiers on the Black Watch regiment. Don’t these men count? More words for the loss of one motorcycle champion than for the loss of 31 brave US Marines.

:sad: :sad:

SASless
27th Jan 2005, 19:22
Lu,

Most of us grieve in silence....there are many that have sons and daughters in the military ....and have to live with that fear they may lose them in the service of their country. Each one lost is precious to some and should be to all.

:(

Lu Zuckerman
27th Jan 2005, 19:30
To: SASless

I understand what you are saying. My two sons were in Desert Storm. The younger one wants to go back to Iraq for the money and I am going crazy trying to talk him out of it.

:mad:ge Bush

cl12pv2s
27th Jan 2005, 21:32
OK, this is going to come over as sounding heartless - it's not -, probably this isn't the place, but I want to say it...

Every soldier who signs up (unless of course conscripted) must read the small print..."War Kills."

I am sincerely sorry for the families of anyone who is lost at war, but certainly no more than I am sorry for civilian victims who have not signed up, or the people caught up in 'natural disasters' or acts of terrorism.

It irritates me that some try to impose on me that I should feel something extra for a soldier, because he is wearing the nation's colours. The state funerals, press coverage, pomp and show are not for the families or the men lost. They are for the government, the media and the army recruiting offices.

What I'm saying is that a soldier is a soldier, ready to kill his enemy as his enemy is ready to kill him. The enemy soldier has a family, a reason, a cause too. "Don't they count then?" An eye for an eye never has worked.

The Americans will tell me that these people are going to secure MY freedom (or their freedom). If that's what they feel, then fine, but that isn't everyone's opinion; indeed, not mine.

I have no quarrel with anyone on this list...this is not meant to be antagonistic (although I know it is a very sensitive point to put on the list), simply another very personal view on the subject of this thread.

cl12pv2s

RDRickster
27th Jan 2005, 21:53
Hmmmmmm... I think this thread has gone way off topic. The information posted relates to helicopters. It is true that soldiers have a short life expectancy in combat... that's what they train for. What you may not realize is the LEVEL of sacrafice that soldiers endure (before, during, and after), which I will not attempt to explain futher on this forum. You don't have to have a military background to appreciate their sacrafice... just be grateful that someone else pays for debts of freedom, giving you the right and ability to criticize.

CyclicRick
27th Jan 2005, 22:05
It always irritates me the way politicians and other people involves use the phrase " they gave their lives...etc." They didn't give their lives at all, it was taken from them. Nobody goes to war to die.

PedalStop
27th Jan 2005, 22:42
Time to recover back to helicopters, folks, before we spiral away into Just Helicopters territory. The loss is terrible, no matter how it is couched.

PedalStop, Moderator

autosync
27th Jan 2005, 23:29
Lu, I wouldn't normally comment on somtheing like this as I dont see the point of doing it over an internet forum, but if it makes you feel any better.
God rest their souls.

Press reports over here saying it may have been bad weather,
The RAF recently bought a couple of chinooks that were not IFR equipped and a big hoo ha was raised and they spend 30 million pounds upgrading.

I know you love a good conspiracy Lu, care to fill us in if these helicopters had the right equipment for the job?

Lu Zuckerman
28th Jan 2005, 03:18
To: autosync

I know you love a good conspiracy Lu, care to fill us in if these helicopters had the right equipment for the job?

My reason for posting was to comment on the fact that when a post is made about the loss of life in a helicopter crash on this forum there is an outpouring of condolences to the families of the deceased. A combat veteran announcing the crash and the attendant loss of life made the original post. The original post ended up on page two without any comment. That is why I made my post. As far as what caused the crash I’ll leave it up to the experts on this forum.

:sad: :E :E :sad:

SASless
28th Jan 2005, 03:37
Pedal Stop...

We have never gotten to the JH mode of discussion...never...not even when we had the thread after 911. Please do not ever suggest we are going in that direction....a polite nudge usually works quite well here.....we were no where remotely needing such a 'bold" reminder to mind our manners. We would like to think even our mods are gentleman too. :ugh:

Helipolarbear
29th Jan 2005, 13:20
Anybody got a 'Tally' on the total nu mber of heli's down since the War kicked off? :rolleyes: