PDA

View Full Version : Windows 98 upgrade query

whiz
26th Jan 2005, 07:54
Im trying to network two computers to run on broadband. One of them is running plain old Windows 98, and I need 98SE. I have checked the microsoft site and cant find a download to upgrade. Does anyone know if there's a download available or will I have to purchase new software ? Assuming I have to buy new software should I just go straight to XP ?

Thanks in advance
Whiz

E-Liam
26th Jan 2005, 09:00
Hi Whiz,

You have to purchase 98SE, as it's not a free upgrade, but you can get the upgrade disc complete with licence for a few ££ on eBay.

You could go for XP, but it depends on the spec of your machine, look here for more info..

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upgrading/sysreqs.mspx

Ignore the 128mB of ram bit. Realistically 256 is bare minimum, and you'd be far better off with 512.. it depends on what you are going to be running on it.

As an aside, 98FE should work fine. I had my old 98 machine running fine on BB, and the networking side shouldn't be that much of an issue, I used to connect mine to another machine for file transfers, so the next logical step would be full network access. Someone else will surely know exactly which buttons to press.. as t'were.

Cheers

Liam

whiz
26th Jan 2005, 09:16
E-Liam

Cheers for that, looks like I'll have to add some RAM then, the machine I want to network to only has 64mB. I'll try increasing the RAM and using 98 and se how it goes from there.

Pantryman
26th Jan 2005, 09:44
After installing 98SE from a original disc or upgrading through a 98 -> 98SE upgrade disc, your computer should be busy for at least 20 minutes if you have broadband and are using the automated Windows Update.

If not, something is wrong.

Also, when you're finished updating, validate it through their 'original software validation service'. It makes the overal updating next time you visit W. Update a lot smoother.

All in all, I'm running a now fully up to date original copy of 98SE on a PIII 450 with 256 MB and it runs very smooth.

Be sure to get the lastest ODBC drivers too.
The latest version is 3.525.

Good luck,

M.