PDA

View Full Version : Trivial Questions!

JerryMaguire
26th Jan 2005, 03:07
1) ILS, I've read a lot abt it. Are the errors significant? I've read that it gathers errors like False guide slopes, Phantom Signals and Backcourse approaches.

Have anyone heard abt the MLS? Microwave landing system. I've read abt that and it seems that the advantage of this is that one can make a curved approach as compared to the typical ILS where one can only make a designated 3 degree glideslope.

Is there like a website that actually lists airports with ILS. My assumption would be that the major hubs shld all be ILS equipped?

2) I've read that it is impractical to keep the aircraft pressurized at sea level pressure. (14.7 psi). Any idea what pressure we'r talking abt?

3) Anyone has any idea of how much a transport/freight (DHL, Fed Ex) pilot is paid vis a vis an airline pilot? Also, anybody knows how much Cathay Pacific, Singapore Airlines and Emirates Airline CAPTs and First Officers are getting? Understand that these airlines pay their people of their own nationality less as compared to the expatriates. That true?

The Greaser
26th Jan 2005, 09:07
2) Talking about differential pressure, ie. difference between internal cabin pressure and ambient (external air pressure). Most civil airliners can not tolerate greater than about 9psi differential which means that at 41000' the cabin pressure can not be pressurised below about 8000' without exceeding the maximum. There are valves which will not allow this differential to be exceeded.

3) www.ppjn.com

JerryMaguire
26th Jan 2005, 13:54
Hey thanks greaser for the question on differential pressure. So is it correct that most airliner altitude operations ceiling would coincide with the cabin differential pressure limitations. I will suppose it is comfortable so long as the cabin pressure is more than that experienced at 10,000 ft.

Some more trivial questions...

1) When prices are quote in aviation news and reports ie 250 million for a typical Boeing 777, does that include the cost of respective jet engines? Further, how much does a typical Rolls Royce Trent 500/900 engine or GE/Engine Alliance 7200 engine cost?

2) Further for typical heavy jet (Boeing 747/Airbus 345) landings, what are the typical flight level versus ground speed profile? (assuming this is the speed usually referred to for landing in contrast to IAS/TAS/EAS) As for take off, what are the typical V1, Vr, Vs and V2 speeds for say the Boeing 747/Airbus 345? Also, what are the Take off Distance Required (TODR) and Landing Distance Required for a typical maximum loaded jet plane using maximum thrust takeoff. It'll also be ideal if someone can lemme know of the typical thrust settings and flaps deployments vis a vis the pitch of the aircraft (deploying of elevators?) during landing and take off.

3) What are flaperons and elerons? Heard these terms are used for combination flaps/aelirons and elevator/aelirons combinations. Specific to the Boeing 747/777 and the airbus 345/380s, does that apply as well? Understand flaps and aelirons are actually aerodynamically the same. Just that the latter occurs in pairing of one up/one down whereas the former occurs in sync.

That will be all for now. More questions will come by as I read up more....Thanks guys for helping me out.

The Greaser
26th Jan 2005, 14:35
Try posting these questions in 'Tech Log' or dare I say 'Questions'.