PDA

View Full Version : what is the ideal age for a job?

Stevob
25th Jan 2005, 17:40
I recently visited a forum in a certain aviation training company's website where I read a post from a boy of seventeen who presented his intentions. His plan was to complete their Integrated Training Programme after completing his 2 A-levels.His post was replied to by an employee who said that they would welcome his application once he reached the age of seventeen years and six months.

It is my understanding that the course course takes just over a year to complete, so in theory he could be FATPL at the age of nineteen. In my view this scenario would not be beneficial in the long-term. Was it not irresponsible of the employee to encourage him to start an integrated course at such an early age?

How many nineteen year old airline pilots do you know?

Are proffessional flight training organisations ripping people off who they know will find it difficult to find employment?

The fact that this boy now has his heart and his parents money set on this course, now means that he will be unlikely to pursue higher education or employment, if his application is unsuccessfull. Im sure that if this boy somehow enrolls on this course, he will be destined to an extended career as an instructor untill his mid twenties. A wait of this length must surely be demorralising. Am I wrong? What is the average age of recruitment in the industry?
If I have some bum information then please correct it! I am not a pilot or a PUT but i do intend to pursue this career myself. I wish the chap all the best in his future.

lscajp
26th Jan 2005, 02:58
Hello Stevob,

I myself read the same post, I believe it is correct that you can't hold a fATPL until your 21st B'day......

Fellow Aviator
26th Jan 2005, 07:28
I think that you have to be 18 to get a CPL and there is no age limit to take ATPL theories. The day you become 18, you can get a CPL with any rating you have been trained for. 21 year age limit is to get a real ATPL. I know a young lady that just turned 20 couple weeks ago and shes just completing her integrated studies.

offspring
26th Jan 2005, 10:16
You can hold an fATPL at 18.

With regard to getting a Job, I recently attended an interview witha well known regional airline which flies jets, and they had that morning interviewed a 19 year old fATPL.

Good luck to them. They obviously have something going for them even if we experienced old knackers dont understand it.

er82
26th Jan 2005, 13:23
Finished all my training (so had fATPL) at age 19. First airline job at age 20.

tomcs
26th Jan 2005, 15:15
Hi guys...

I was the same as er82.

I completed my fATPL training aged 20. I'm still 20 and i'm starting with Flybe on monday!

Tom

CanAV8R
26th Jan 2005, 15:20
Hello people,

The correct answer to this question is probably the age at which each induvidual gets into the industry. We must be sensitive to the older people who are self funded and may not start training and get into the industry until well into there 30's if not 40's.

That being said the younger the better in my books but it has its drawbacks. Some and I stress not all 19-early 20 types are not mature enough to get through courses and handle the pressures of modern commercial aviation. This is where an extra 5 years (possibly) of university, travelling or just life learned skills can help greatly. Folks of the 30 plus group do provide airlines with possible stability as they are the types that are less likely to move on from a decent job as they are looking for stability over potential career progression.

In my case I entered aviation college at 23 and did two years. Beat the younger mates in my class but was neck in neck with the older ones. Got my first gig on turbos at 25 and was a skipper on a large turbo at 29. Currently RHS on a Boeing and have 30 years according to FCL to play in the jet world. Not bad.....

Don't rush if you are very young, you have years to play with in my mind.

GoldenMonkey
26th Jan 2005, 15:40
The definitive ideal age for a first airline job is 30 years and 6 months old. That is with just the base minimum fATPL at around 200-210 hours.

At least...... please let that be the case!!! ;)