PDA

View Full Version : Do I really need SP2?

Biggles Flies Undone
25th Jan 2005, 13:26
My PC runs XP but I don’t use Outlook and I use Mozilla Firefox as a browser.

Have Norton, Zone Alarm and run AdAware and Spybot once a week and CrapCleaner after every online session.

Don’t have any IM installed and stay well away from high-risk sites.

I read about all the probs with PCs refusing to boot after SP2 installation, BIOS conflicts, video driver conflicts, processor conflicts, software conflicts etc etc and it sounds a real nightmare. SO – do I really need to bother with it?

Evo
25th Jan 2005, 13:50
At work, we're not allowed to use SP2. My internet world hasn't ended yet.

However, it's generally a good idea to upgrade - SP2 is a significant step forward, and it should be reasonably easy to find out if you're likely to suffer from problems. Most upgrades to SP2 are fine, but you don't hear about those.

If you decide not to upgrade then I think it's fair to say that you do need to take particular care over security. Staying with mainstream websites and being careful with your email is one thing, but the recent internet worms punch directly through Windows security flaws, some of which are fixed in SP2. This is where the firewall comes in. Personally I prefer a hardware firewall to software; ZA should be ok, but there have been worms written that propogate via software hardware problems.

Jerricho
25th Jan 2005, 14:03
Just as a personal thing, I found SP2 too "idiot proof". I prefer to have total control over my security settings, and don't need to be reminded constantly that various settings are outside what Microsoft deems "necessary". Plus I found it was causing problems with Morpheus.

goates
25th Jan 2005, 15:10
I haven't had any trouble with SP2 on 3 different XP computers. As Evo mentions, you rarely hear about the successful stories, only the ones with trouble. To me it is worth it and very necessary.

It does cause problems, but that is usually because software developers took advantage of the sloppy security of previous Windows versions. Now that they are trying to scure the system, some things will break.

The security warnings can be turned off for those that know what they are doing, but to me are a good thing to have for those that don't. Until the general population becomes more comfortable with computers, there is some need to simplify things.

Best way to decide is to see look at the progrmas you use and see if there are any issues to be worried about. Most software developers put something on their websites about compatibility with SP2.

goates

VnV2178B
25th Jan 2005, 16:22
BFU,

I put SP2 an a friend's machine (as a favour) and it did cause some grief but in general improved security. Had to take it off however as one of the problems I have found insurmountable - at least for the moment.

After SP2 was installed we noticed that some data files had been disappeared and no amount of searching found them; they were well and truly gone, so back up anything you don't want to loose (I am SURE everone does that anyway, don't they...).

Also there was a strange propensity for some packages to suddenly stop, the video output died and the machine hung-up. Not even Ctr-ALt-DEl would get it back.

Some research and advice (thanks eLiam and Evo) lead me to a known conflict between the Nvidia GeForce MX4000 drivers and SP2. Hopefully there will be another update to these which will let me put SP2 back on but I have not yet found it.

Your call!

VnV

E-Liam
25th Jan 2005, 17:25
Hi all,

In general I'd say that it's essential that you secure your machines as much as possible, and XP2 is a very good way to acheive this (within a limited scope). However, if it hinders some of your important operations, as in the case of a scanner not working, then you have to decide what you want.

As far as my experience goes, SP2 users do seem to have a few less leaks in the sieve known as MS, but I'm still fixing hijacks in them, as can be seen in the latest set of HJT logs here.

At the end of the day you decide, but if possible install SP2. I'll help you fix any security problems as best I can if you all come unstuck. Got to keep my hand in somehow.. :D :ok:

Oh, to Jerricho,

You'll find that rather than SP2 causing problems with Morpheus, it's Morpheus trying to get around the security features and failing. Further reading (http://www.spywareinfo.com/articles/p2p/) for those of you using P2P file sharing.

Kazaa is famous for installing all kinds of spy/malware on people's machines, but that link tells you teh associated problems with other P2P programs, and gives suggestions for clean alternatives. You can even see exactly what they install by clicking the box.

Cheers

Liam

Mac the Knife
25th Jan 2005, 17:26
"...you rarely hear about the successful stories, only the ones with trouble. "

Much as I dislike M$ business practices and distrust them generally, gotta say that the 3 SP2 upgrades I did were hiccough free. No problems detected, and I run all sorts of esoteric software.

Your call

seacue
25th Jan 2005, 18:44
I'm associated with a large organization which has a PC support group. They still forbid installation of SP2 since they still have "issues" with it.

Just one more data point.

KHL
27th Jan 2005, 05:27
I suggest you leave that out.. its gonna cost your more problem doing trouble shooting

URL Deleted

Dee747
27th Jan 2005, 09:30
My experience on a number of different PCs is that it is absolutely fine when installed immediately after the basic XP CD is used, and before any application software is installed. I've found several problems, including not being able to use IE6 and Outlook Express, if it's installed on an existing build, after the application software is all in place.

At the end of the day my ADSL wireless router takes care of my firewall, though I also have the XP firewall switched on and also use Zone Alarm, just to be safe. It's worth installing SP2, but be ready to instigate some contingency operation just in case.

Biggles Flies Undone
28th Jan 2005, 11:12
Thanks for all the replies :ok:

After due consideration I think that, bearing in mind my level of competence, lack of patience with techno-hassle and moderate browsing habits, I'll pass on SP2 for the time being.

Anyway - next time I upgrade my PC someone will have done all the work for me :D

Binoculars
28th Jan 2005, 13:13
I'm with you, Biggles. Let sleeping dogs lie, I think.

drauk
29th Jan 2005, 14:54
I wouldn't pay too much attention to suggestions that "my blue chip firm will not install SP2". With some firms this might be a legitimate thing (i.e. known problems with their standard install on their desktop machines) but not by any means always. I know of some of the biggest banks that wouldn't upgrade to Windows XP from Windows 2000 for years. Others stick with ancient browsers - one of America's most prestigious banks was still using Netscape Navigator version 4 a couple of years ago, because they hadn't got round to certifying IE (and yes, I do generally subscribe to the view point that says using a minority browser like Firefox is a good idea these days).

For what little it is worth I've installed SP2 on at least ten machines, of a variety of types and age, without problems.

My advice would be back everything up and try it.