PDA

View Full Version : Management the world over.

Thrust
22nd Jan 2001, 11:06
Copied from another site. Did we send some Swire frogs to SAA???

SAA PILOTS DEMAND BIG CHANGES IN FLIGHT OPERATIONS MANAGEMENT.

(Cape Town - 12Jan01, 16:59 GMT).

South African Airways Pilots Association has lodged a formal complaint against the airline claiming there is a crisis in its flight operations management, and warning of possible industrial action if reforms are not agreed before its 23 January general meeting. SAAPA chairman John Harty says the union, a member of the South Africa's Airlines Pilots union, issued the complaint yesterday after a wide range of mismanagement issues came to a head, especially concerning pilots' retraining.

"We've had a lack of useful leadership at all levels," says Harty, who adds that the protest is "nothing to do with safety, or looking for more money - just effective leadership and the honouring of agreements".

"It’s our intention to clear up outstanding issues so pilots don't need to worry and can instead concentrate on flying safely. But if there is no constructive dialogue before the general meeting, we will examine ways to implement limited industrial action. We can't go on like this."

He adds that the union has "been led to believe the company would like to meet next week, although we are yet to receive formal notification".

SAA staff declines to comment on the issue, beyond issuing a statement saying that "due to the nature of our business there are always ongoing issues that lead to discussion and management from time to time". It adds, however, that management will "over the next few weeks hold discussions with SAAPA
regarding the issues raised," while emphasising that it has not, "and never will risk the safety of our passengers, crew or aircraft".

SAA is in the midst of extensive fleet restructuring and many pilots are undergoing retraining for new aircraft types as it introduces the 21 Boeing 737-800s ordered last year. The carrier has so far introduced
nine new Boeing 737-800s, while at least four more 737-200s will be added to an existing fleet of 16 of the type. In addition, it took two Boeing 747-300s on lease from Swissair in October and November last year. Aircrew are being transferred from other types, mostly Airbus A320s which SAA has begun phasing out of service. Harty says an important example of the "planning crisis" at SAA lies in the introduction of the Swissair 747-300s.

The aircraft are being used solely on SAA's long-haul Johannesburg-Frankfurt route, on which aircraft operate for at least 11.5 hours. International regulations require that long-haul aircrews have access to beds after a maximum of eight hours stick time) but Harty says "we didn't know until the aircraft arrived that there are no crew facilities on them".

He adds: "They're barely legal, because they fitted extra seats but really we know they're just skirting the law."

Harty concludes: "In isolation some of the problems are petty, but there has been a cumulative affect that has lead to extremely low levels of moral."

[Source: Air Transport Intelligence].

Samsonite
22nd Jan 2001, 17:42
I think this is an avenue that we the AOA should be looking at. I hear the HK government would be more than happy to agree with us,apparently they are tired of CX ways of treating thier employees on the front page of the SCMP.

BusAce
23rd Jan 2001, 03:36
Thrust: Well done on finding this article. It is the sort of thing I meant in my last topic. Glad you share my view.