PDA

View Full Version : SCMP Article

conan
27th Oct 2000, 06:32
MASS SICK OUT AND STRIKE THREATENED

Cathay Pilots are declaring war on the company, planning a new round of industrial action that could lead to a mass sick out and a Christmas strike
Long running fury over what crew say are unworkable rosters - fuelled by anger at new contracts for retirement aged Captains- is to peak within weeks , with a vote on renewed action .
Less than 18 months after a row over pay and conditions disrupted the travel plans of tens of thousands of passengers, more than 1000 pilots are due to meet on Nov 22 to try to force Cathay's hand in negotiations.
We're about to declare war one pilot said yesterday. Another said "They want to kick us in the teeth and have our goodwill as well. It's not going to happen.
If the votes go through any retirement age pilot taking new contracts will be thrown out of the union on the grounds that they have damaged the of union members and their families. All other union members - about 90% of the airlines pilots will be obliged to avoid flying with those pilots, in the interests of flight safety and to reduce personal stress in the cockpit, a union letter to members says.
In practice, this means that anyone rostered on the same flight as the so called extenders will phone in sick due to stress. Pilots are also expected. Pilots are also expected to resolve that " unless management makes a significant attempt to change their stance", another meeting will be called in December to decide what steps to take next. This is understood to mean a strike ballot , will be sought.
We are not prepared to discount anything . The membership is that frustrated that I wouldn't be surprised to see a call for strike action,but it's far too early to tell at this stage. AOA general secretary John Findlay said yesterday.
There is increasing frustration that nothing is happening. The pilots' rosters are getting worse, not better he said pilots could not plan family lives as their rosters constantly changed and often bore little resemblance to those published at the start of the month.
Mr Findlay said the intention of the vote on flying with extenders was not to cause disruptions through a sick out but to ensure passenger safety.
The intention here is is to prevent any conflict in the cockpit. It cannot be understated just how angry the pilots are that their colleagues are selling them short, he said" There is such a high strength of feeling , such anger, that if they feel that strongly about it they should not go into the cockpit.... that's not conducive to flight safety. Our advice is that they should seek medical opinion [ on how to reduce their stress levels]
Last month the Post reported that 4 retirement aged Captains had signed new contracts paying about 30% less than their old salaries. That number is believed to have since increased to 6.
While the company says the extensions mean crew can be trained more quickly to fit Cathay's expansion plans and will bring better opportunities for all pilots, many see their colleagues as SCABS who are denying them promotions and have sapped their bargaining power.
About 1100 of Cathay's 1300 pilots are already taking a work to rule action in a protest over rosters. Since July they have refused to work overtime, on their days off , or even answer the phone if the Company calls . Cathay hit back by reducing guaranteed days off and putting more crews on standby when they are obliged to work if required.
Cathay spokeswoman Lisa Wong Lai Shan yesterday restated the companies position that extending the employment of crew past the age of 55 on mutually agreed pay rates would not harm anyone and could create longer term promotion opportunities.
The real issue is the rostering practices she said. Both sides have agreed that we'll reopen our negotiations in early November. We'll definitely try our best to resolve the issues.

Written by Jo Bowman

Thanks Jo for an unbiased piece

Here are my thoughts. The company has been promising improved rosters for more than 6 years. They have only ever gone backwards. What makes anyone believe that things will improve in the next few months? They are obviously in no rush to fix things,because they are only going to start talking in November. This is an issue of paramount importance, not a moment should be lost. The problem is that the company would like to fix the rosters, but can't. They don't have enough crew, are expanding and need the crews on side. The sins of the past are coming home to roost. The man management tactics that have been employed for the past 7 years are bearing fruit, all of it rotten, They cannot expand faster than they are because they don't have the crews, and the crews are definitely not on side.What a wonderful way to run a company!!!!
As for the extendees , the central issue is them extending on B scales . Had they been paid their existing salaries there would have been a lot less discontent. One again the Company is pushing through new Conditions of service without negotiation. It's typical, in order to save a few bucks they have managed to alienate the entire aircrew body yet again. The moral of cent wise dollar foolish comes to mind.
In regard to rosters I've had 15 changes so far this month. Personally I don't know why they bother printing one, no one seems to stick to it.
In closing I have to ask why the very senior management of this company are allowing this to continue. Are they not embarrassed by continuing articles highlighting discontent amongst their employees low moral, possible strike action and it's associated passenger disruption . All of this is negative publicity. Are they so arrogant and insular that they feel that they can disregard all of these issues.? We are in a service industry, one where service is our lifeblood. Goodwill from staff is evident in the service provided. There is no goodwill left in the crews anymore. Sure we do the job but our hearts are no longer in it. I used to be devastated if I arrived late at a destination. Now I don't care when I get there, On time! tomorrow, it's all the same to me. I no longer care, and that is a very sad state of affairs. Unfortunately that is what we have become. We have gone from being valuable assets of this company to disposable items. A scale pilots are particularly disposable. The quicker they are disposed of the better. The fact that their experience is going as well doesn't seem to matter.

[This message has been edited by conan (edited 27 October 2000).]

The Resistance
27th Oct 2000, 08:44
To Jo, thank you for a thoughtful, fair and insightful article. Conan, my compliments on your response to Jo's article. I can only second your sadness and frustration. It is truly an industry tragedy that this airline has been allowed to decay from the inside out. It still looks shiny and bright on the outside, but on the inside it is rotten and decayed. If only a journalist could write an article demonstrating how truly devastated this operation has become. How drastically the experience levels have been lowered, and how dangerous is the low morale and anger that exists. This airline is heading for a ruinous end. The only avenue open to the aircrew of this airline to rectify the gross deficiencies that exist is that of a strike. Our patience, health and mental well-being are at stake. I can only state the following: our management know the cost of everything, and the value of nothing..... http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

[This message has been edited by The Resistance (edited 27 October 2000).]

Checkmate
27th Oct 2000, 08:44
Jo & Conan. Well said. Rgds Checkers.

[This message has been edited by Checkmate (edited 27 October 2000).]

InUSAandObserving
28th Oct 2000, 07:38
Here is a brilliant opportunity to take your case to the press. I as a PR journalist have been following this thread and have sent you the info sites for the major news services. You now have a new president of AOA get busy to make a statement of the possible and more likely plausible delays and cancellations of flights from all sectors.
Also there was a very interesting article in Flight Traning Magazine from March 2000 that talked about training and the effects of age on the pilot's abilities. Very interesting read.
I will do a brain and Internet search and see what comes about for other sources where you can get your story published. It is sad that it comes to a place where the factions of the company are so divided.
Will post the results of my search later.

BUSDRVR
28th Oct 2000, 08:26
CX as a company has the right to offer lower salaries to pliot's who wnat to extand and the pilot's in question have just as much right to decline the offer. These extenders are selling all A scale, B scale and Freighter scale pliots out. They should be ashamed, how can they even look at themselves in the mirror. Could they not control their greed and wait for an AOA decision!

It angers me to see this happening, action must be taken.

Is it true two more have extended? This is truly an attack at the membership, IF we allow this to happen we will all be on individual contracts, versus the 17 or so that are currently out there!

Vote for all 6!

10sne1
28th Oct 2000, 12:32
You must remember that an A scale pilot extending on B scale isn't an extension. According to NR himself it is "an entirely new contract". These are DIRECT ENTRY B SCALE CAPTAINS and it must be stopped!

Checkmate
28th Oct 2000, 13:09
10sne1. If you are correct, why hasn't the AOA slapped an injunction on CPA, pre a court action?

jagman
28th Oct 2000, 13:55
I agree with the 'InUSA' man that this is a perfect opportunity for the AOA to get into print and refute the rubbish that comes from Barley when CX affairs are (rarely) discussed in the press. 'A 3 year deal fairly and openly negotiated' - remember that letter from him in the SCMP. Never refuted or exposed as a downright LIE.
Come on Nigel let's get going.
Please don't fly or have anything to do with our disgraceful colleagues who extended.
They are not extenders anyway - they're DE Captains. What a bloody cheek NR has. If we let this go we may as well roll over and play dead.
COME ON NIGEL........

18weeler
28th Oct 2000, 17:32
"COME ON NIGEL"?
Come on AoA members!!!! The end of the year is coming. Has everyone put in their 20 or 30 sick days yet, or are you going for that trump card!! Remember we get 90! What a great tool a 25% sickness rate would be. Lets use it!!!!!