PDA

View Full Version : BA Flights overbooking

G-BBAE
25th Jan 2005, 12:14
Recently looking on the MAN-JFK thread ive heard about this flight getting overbooked quite often.
If this is the case is it better to get to check in early so im not one of those moved onto a LHR flight.

Thunderbug
25th Jan 2005, 13:06
Tactics dear boy......

If you are not in a hurry and if it's looking busy, offer to go via LHR suitably compensated with cash or a try asking for a Club class seat on the transatlantic sector. Dress smart! ;)

Enjoy New York.

T'bug

Jerricho
25th Jan 2005, 13:59
I was under the impression there was some sort of EU directive that was supposed to stop this? Or did I dream that?

The SSK
25th Jan 2005, 14:06
Currently, an EU Regulation (stronger than a Directive) specifies the minimum compensation to be paid to bumped passengers.

As from Feb 17 a new Regulation will increase the amounts of compensation - to all intents and purposes double them - and extend them to cancelled flights and long delays.

Watch this space - things are about to get interesting

G-BBAE
25th Jan 2005, 14:15
My concern is that if BA are getting overbooked on this MAN-JFK route why not upgrade to a 747, i mean they have 57 of them monsters.

MarkD
25th Jan 2005, 14:27
G-BBAE

they might have 57 but that doesn't mean they have enough! Look at the pullout from South America, handing routes to IB.

And shouldn't a 777 be the next logical aircraft rather than 744?

atchlink

G-BBAE
25th Jan 2005, 14:33
Yes but BA dont have as many 777s as they do 747s.
Plus im not bothered what plane i get or company, all i want is NO DELAY, CANCELLATION or Overbooking!!!!!!!!!!
Im just worried by people saying this MAN-JFK gets overbooked and i dont want to be sent down to LHR, because i only booked this flight over a week ago.

redfred
25th Jan 2005, 15:27
It makes no difference when you booked the flight, best bet to avoid disappointment is to get there early, I imagine in MAN they operate the 3 hrs before departure ckin time as per LHR but BA normally do a volunteer scheme which hopefully would leave knowbody involuntarily off loaded.

TopBunk
25th Jan 2005, 15:42
G_BBAE

BA (and just about every other airline) operate an overbooking policy to take account of the 'no-show' passengers. In BA's case the overbooking profile is quite sophisticated and varies by flight number by cabin by day as a result of years of experience. Of course it does occasionally result in a greater number of passengers turning up than there are seats available. The best way to being certain of your seat is to turn up in good time - this also gives you a greater choice of seat, and could see you avoiding the middle seat!

As for no delay or cancellation, well no-one can guarantee that of course, but at least with a company such as BA they can offer alternatives more easily than a smaller carrier.

Enjoy your flight.

MarkD
25th Jan 2005, 15:50
Alternatively BA could reinstate a 767 from BHX (not the 757 which killed the route) to take the pressure off Manchester...

Scottie Dog
25th Jan 2005, 16:44
G-BBAE

I hope you will excuse this question, but it is relevant for any answer. How old are you? You say in your profile that you are a student, and I suspect from some of your postings that you may still be at school, or have just finished.

If this is the case, then the airline may take the view that it would prefer to have you on the direct flight, rather than routing you via Heathrow. Are you travelling on your own?

It is also usual for airlines to offer upgrades to Frequent Traveller members, before opening the upgrade to 'others'. In this case if there is an overbookings, then One World card holders would be offered the upgrade to Club World first.

Anyway, no matter what the class of travel, enjoy the flight. Dress smartly and smile at the checkin staff!!

Scottie Dog

MarkD
25th Jan 2005, 16:48
BA are starting Shanghai with 777 and upgrading PEK to 21/week. This is where the growth is, and obviously where extra/redirected capacity is going to be heading.

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=160676

G-BBAE
25th Jan 2005, 17:02
I am 17 and going with my parents.
Moving on, is it best to ask at check in for a window seat or pre booking the seat, i just dont want to be stuck in the middle.

redfred
25th Jan 2005, 17:21
You can rqst it via telephone sales but its not guarenteed then ask the checkin agent

Final 3 Greens
25th Jan 2005, 17:43
You may be able to check in online, 12 hours before - why not check the rules at ba.com and see if it works for you? You can mix this with refreds steer and increase your probability of a window.

But beware, if you are a party of three, that fits very nicely into the three middle seats if the computer is making an allocation, so I should take some positive action if I were you.;)

fruitbat
25th Jan 2005, 17:48
Go onto Ba.com, click on 'manage my booking', put in your 6 digit booking reference and you can choose your seats from a nice plan of the aeroplane you are flying on. You can even request special meals.

Charming
25th Jan 2005, 19:35
Most airlines overbook on purpose incase someone decides to cancel they still make profit. Now I remember in the summer flying with Malev to Hungary from Toronto it was an overbooked flight and they first offered $100 cash with a one night stay in a hotel where the next day you fly with KLM. After a few minutes they offered a stay overnight in a hotel and the next day you fly with Air France I beileve it was and it was with a first class upgrade. So if its an airline like BA then you shouldn't worry to much about not making it aboard the worst case scenario is you take a flight the next day with some type of upgrade. Enjoy your trip! :ok:

Globaliser
25th Jan 2005, 19:37
G-BBAE: all i want is NO DELAY, CANCELLATION or Overbooking!!!!!!!!!!Trying to break this to you gently: Every passenger wants the same. And every airline wants the same (if you substitute "overselling" for "overbooking").

If you want to improve your chances, your best bet will be to charter an aircraft - although even then nothing is guaranteed.

If you can't do that, the advice that you've been given is very sound.

MarkD
25th Jan 2005, 21:03
If you are an Exec Club member, check in and seat allocation can be done at -24hr, otherwise -12hr. Have done it for myself and Mrs MarkD, straight to fast bag drop, no muss no fuss.

fruitbat
25th Jan 2005, 22:57
Seat allocation requests can be done at any time after the booking is made, I have just done some for May. The system works very well, try it.

lexxity
27th Jan 2005, 17:18
Plus im not bothered what plane i get or company, all i want is NO DELAY, CANCELLATION or Overbooking!!!!!!!!!!

May i then suggest that you try another airline. The MAN-JFK is notorious for all of the above. Getting bumped has nothing to do with when you purchased your ticket. If it is so needed you will probably be asked if you would care to fly another route with suitable compensation. You are free to decline this offer, however this may then force the airline into dening boarding to the last few pax. Get there early and you'll probably have no problems. Little tip, the queue starts to form at about 0530 for this one!

G-BBAE
2nd Feb 2005, 17:34
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm what do they offer as compenstation. It better include a connecting flight to LHR and first class return.

Avman
2nd Feb 2005, 18:04
G-BBAE , are you trying to make this your personal forum? It's getting just a tad tedious now.

Yeah, OK, I'm going...........:bored:

Final 3 Greens
2nd Feb 2005, 18:14
G-BBAE

Nice thought, but there is little chance of you getting bumped into First.

Also, it tends to be full of boring old farts and you definitely wouldn't like the atmosphere, which is very quiet, usually with the window blinds down, 'cos the FTQVs like to sleep enroute.

More likely that you would get World Traveller Plus or maybe Club, if you were very lucky.

However, WT+ is very nice and Club is excellent, so you might get lucky.

On the other hand, if you read your ticket terms and conditions, you will find that this sort of compensation is offered as a goodwill gesture, not a right.

And if you do find yourself offered a deal to travel via LHR, I'd suggest that you talk nicely to the agent, since BA has quite a "soft" culture and responds well to reasonable pax - you want the agent on your side, not agin you.

Globaliser
2nd Feb 2005, 19:38
G-BBAE: what do they offer as compenstation. It better include a connecting flight to LHR and first class return.Dream on, mate, dream on. If you get bumped, you might get a reroute via LHR and a voucher. If you're lucky you might get upped to W. If you've won the lottery you might get into J.

If you get into F, let me know coz I'd want to know your lottery numbers.