PDA

View Full Version : Qantas toys with cheap US flights

Wirraway
25th Jan 2005, 11:55
Wed "Sydney Morning Herald"

Qantas toys with cheap US flights
By Scott Rochfort in Singapore
January 26, 2005

Qantas chief executive Geoff Dixon has talked up the prospect of a low-cost long-haul airline starting services from Australia to the US and possibly Europe.

But the Qantas boss has fallen short of saying whether Qantas would be the first airline to set up such a carrier, given talk Virgin Blue and its founder Sir Richard Branson could announce such a carrier in the next few weeks.

Amid speculation that Qantas's leisure carrier, Australian Airlines, could replace Qantas on longer routes with the low-cost airline already pushing its crews to fly longer sectors, Mr Dixon said: "I really believe that someone would go for a lower cost [long-haul carrier]."

Yet Mr Dixon hosed down speculation that Qantas could spin three of its older Boeing 747-300s into Australian Airlines.

One problem with the older aircraft is that the high expense of maintaining them could tip Australian's marginal profit into a loss.

"The thing with Australian is if you change the model it really changes the cost base," Mr Dixon said.

"But it doesn't mean in the longer term we may not do it."

The Qantas chief, however, has failed to rule out replacing its services to Honolulu with Australian Airlines.

"I'm sure it's on the drawing board for a lot of people," he said.

Con Korfiatis, the chief operating officer of Qantas's Singapore subsidiary, Jetstar Asia, said his airline had no plans to start mid- to long-haul operations (those lasting more than five hours).

Asked why there was a model of a Boeing 747 in Jetstar Asia livery in his airline's offices, Mr Korfiatis said it was mock-up given to the airline when it launched services to Taipei last month.

"Believe me, I have the real model on my desk," he said, noting it was a short-haul 177-seat Airbus 320.

Mr Dixon, meanwhile, launched a fresh attack on Singapore's attempts to pressure the Australian Government to open up the Sydney-Los Angeles route to competition.

"Between 1988 and 1995 it lost $325 million. It turned a marginal profit a couple of years after and it's has made pretty decent profits in the last five or six years principally because we've invested so much on the route."

Qantas makes about 20 per cent of its profits from its LA route, where it only has one direct competitor, United Airlines.

"People have said, 'Gee, Qantas have had this bonanza for the last 30 years'. It was an absolute dog," Mr Dixon said.

===========================================

Mr.Buzzy
25th Jan 2005, 17:49
Im sure somebody likes him........

bbbzzzzzzzzzzzbbzbbzbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzz

Wirraway
25th Jan 2005, 17:58
Wed "The Australian"

No-frills just the ticket: Dixon
Steve Creedy, Aviation writer
January 26, 2005

QANTAS wants to further expand its low-cost leisure operations and says it is looking for additional investment opportunities in Asia and perhaps beyond.

Chief executive Geoff Dixon told an aviation and tourism outlook conference in Singapore that Qantas was looking to hold as well as capture market share in both the full-service and low-cost market segments.

Labelling low-cost offshoot Jetstar a success and noting it would be profitable in its first year of operation, Mr Dixon said 2005 would see the airline doing more of the same, including "looking at further opportunities to apply our low-cost leisure business model".

He did not elaborate but later dismissed rumours Qantas was considering Boeing 747s for its Australian Airlines subsidiary, where management is at loggerheads with flight attendants about removing restrictions on how far they will fly.

But he told the conference low-cost airlines were probably "the greatest thing that's happened to the airline industry in the past 30 years" and had forced legacy carriers to get themselves in order.

He predicted the next low-cost push would be on long-haul routes.

"Where the next attack is going to come is, people will try, some successfully, at having low-cost long haul," Mr Dixon said.

He identified China and India as key markets and said middle-class Asian tourists would be the biggest single factor in global tourism over the next 20 years.

"They will be hugely important to Australia, so much so that Asia will soon provide Qantas with more aviation traffic than the rest of the world combined," he said.

Referring to its Singapore-based low-cost carrier joint venture, Jetstar Asia, and its Bangkok cargo venture, Mr Dixon said the airline would continue to review other investment opportunities in the region "and possibly beyond".

Mr Dixon was positive about the aviation outlook, particularly given Asia's continuing economic growth, and said airlines and tourism would play a significant role in rebuilding communities ravaged by the tsunami.

He said there were compelling reasons why governments should provide the environment for economically viable aviation.

The major issues of 2005 would be those the industry already confronted.

The industry would continue to restructure, crises would occur, governments would adapt to new realities at different rates and with different reservations and competition would be fierce. But there would be tremendous opportunities for those who were flexible and those who were resilient.

Mr Dixon said that the changes would produce businesses ranging from global network carriers to micro airline services for budget travellers on specific low-volume routes and variations in between.

"Already we're seeing some of the budget airlines invest heavily, probably mistakenly I believe, and take on some of the characteristics of the legacy airlines.

"Legacy airlines, meanwhile, are not only adjusting their cost structures to compete, they are making investments in order to continue to compete effectively with other top-tier airlines.

"At the same time a large part of their traditional market is under attack from the new low-cost operators.

"And this has brought unprecedented challenges to find new opportunities to find profitable growth in this industry.

"And the winners will be those who embrace the future. I don't believe the winners will be those who defend the past."

============================================

Kaptin M
25th Jan 2005, 18:57
Please don't tell me he's going to start ANOTHER :mad: airline

I wouldn't put it past him, though!
The opportunity to create a whole new gamut of "managers" being paid substantial salaries + benefits, lording over cheap Aussie ground staff & crews being paid in Baht or Rupee!

rescue 1
25th Jan 2005, 19:23
Where is this going? Surely he is only increasing competition against his own brand and thereby diluting it.

This management strategy was popular in the '80's and proved to be unsuccessful.

Lodown
25th Jan 2005, 19:44
"...has made pretty decent profits in the last five or six years principally because we've invested so much on the route." Bite me!!!

The crisis for this month is how to keep SIA from getting their fingers in the pie.

rescue 1, yes they are diluting the brand, but since Virgin, if you run a competitive airline looking to start up operations on Qantas' turf, GD's making sure you have a snowball's chance in hell.

Ultralights
25th Jan 2005, 21:08
why doesnt he just fold up QF, sell everything and start 5 new airlines.

and who id going to sit 8 hrs or more, with no food in cramped and unclean aircraft?

If airlines make more money per seat with Business class, then wht are all these airlines abandoning it? i fly Business wherever i can, soon Business will be extinct, forced to fly jetSqueeze.

The Librarian
25th Jan 2005, 23:19
why doesnt he just fold up QF, sell everything and start 5 new airlines.

Sadly I think this will ultimately be the plan. Why pay a 744 skipper $300K a year when there are plenty of blokes happy and capable of doing it for $140K. Sad days ahead

Super Cecil
25th Jan 2005, 23:57
With that thread title I thought if I was going on any cheap flights in the states soon I would get a Qantas toy?:8

Lodown
26th Jan 2005, 13:18
and who i(s) going to sit 8 hrs or more, with no food in cramped and unclean aircraft?

I think the same or similar was said about the domestic LCC.

I can picture a plane load of backpackers with their tourist books, bottled water, boxes of Rice Bubbles, sitting cross legged on the seats and singing Kumbaya (spelling) for 8 hours.

Believe Brother
26th Jan 2005, 13:45
After reading these posts, is it any wonder there is a thread in this section titled 'Is anyone actually happy?' With the current crop of upper management in airlines throughout the world, I will personally be glad to see the back of aviation.