PDA

View Full Version : Non JAA approved TR on JAA license ? Help Needed.

Adhemar
25th Jan 2005, 09:58
Anyone can help me on this one ? Thanks!

An airliner in a non JAA member state organises it's own Type Rating Course as approved by their national CAA. Is it possible to have this Type Rating endorsed on your JAA license eventually with a restriction saying that the issue and use of the TR is restricted to the company who's organising the TR course ?

Any comments/suggestions welcome.

Adhemar

miss magenta
25th Jan 2005, 10:35
You need to contact the CAA on this one, just to be 100% sure.
However, I asked them this question not long ago and the bottom line was no.
You need 500 hours on type to attach a non-JAR TR to a JAR licence. Meanwhile (until you had these hours) you would have to put the TR onto a licence issued by the state where you did the TR.

IRISHPILOT
25th Jan 2005, 11:40
No problem, exactly as you described, if your JAA licence is not from the UK CAA. Danish, French, Swedish, Maltese and Irish CAA have done it and still do, depending which CAA your course is done under. However, get the guy in your respective CAA to confirm before, preferably in writing.

Usually your restriction is not for a specific company, but for aircraft registered in that country.

If your licence is from the UK, and it is a question of getting a first job, you may want to consider swapping it?

hope this helps, IP

Adhemar
25th Jan 2005, 12:18
Miss Magenta and Irishpilot thanks for your reactions so far.

I am working on both fronts. That is.... I am trying to get my CAA to accept a TR course organised by a non JAR approved TRTO with the explicit restriction of flying the type for that specific company only. It was done before by our CAA but nobody's sure that things can still work the same way under JAR FCL.

On the other hand I am also working/lobbying on a full conversion of my JAA License into a national license of the country in which the airliner is registered. The Type Rating could than be endorsed on this license. This is, to put it softly, not so easy since we are dealing here with a former communist country.
There are no precedents with converting a JAA license into a national one in this country.

It is indeed a first job opportunity that might fall in the water due to licensing troubles.

I'll keep you updated on my progress, if any.
If more suggestions/precedents/comments... please let come.

For now, thanks !