PDA

View Full Version : Night Rating

Glenavil
25th Jan 2005, 06:53
Can someone please tell me, if you do the IR first after the PPL / Multi, then the CPL, if you are still required to obtain a night rating.

mjc9967
25th Jan 2005, 10:12
YES YES YES!!!!!

You MUST have your 5hrs Night Qualification training BEFORE you commence either CPL or IR skills course, including your 5 solo full stop landings.

LASORS is a bit difficult to read on this, but the CAA want to see the completion of Night training in your log book before any CPL or IR training flights.

I got all the way to CPL and IR tests before getting mine done (my very last flight before licence application was the solo night circuits) and they held up my licence issue while they obtained letters of explanation from every FTO I had been with as to why they had proceeded with CPL and IR training before NQ work was complete.

Do the NQ work first!!

I recommend Atlantic Flight Training in Coventry for this. Prices are reasonable, Alan Mildred is a lovely instructor, and CVT allows night training up to Midnight. Much more practical that other places where they close early.

Keygrip
25th Jan 2005, 11:16
BEFORE you commence either CPL or IR skills course
Close - but not quite. If you have not completed the training for a night qualification before starting the CPL course (assuming you do this before the Instrument rating), then the standard 25 hour training course becomes a 30 hour course and must include the five hours of night training.

Haven't looked at the small print of the I/R to see what it says if you do the I/R first.

mjc9967
25th Jan 2005, 14:24
Yes Keygrip thanks I remember that point now (I stand corrected!) :O

Just to be very sure that you won't have any problems, and to keep things simple, I would recommend just getting the night stuff done in the first place.

I BELIEVE that regarding the IR before CPL, you should have night done before commencing training, but as Keygrip alludes, there is small print in LASORs.

I say again: just do it and get it out of the way (before the daylight starts getting a bit late again) and therefore be sure you will have no problems!

:ok:

25th Jan 2005, 14:47
One quick related question....

Would having a FAA PPL (not current) exempt you from having to get a night rating in order to qualify for a JAA CPL/IR?

Thanks