PDA

View Full Version : What's the A330 like?

Offchocks
11th Dec 2000, 09:30
G'day guys.....having flown only Boeings for the last 16 years and now that we are about to get a swag of A330s, I'd like to ask the question on how you find flying the machine?
This is not meant to be an opener for a "slag off" between Boeing and Airbus pilots.
Thanks in advance.

Thrust
11th Dec 2000, 14:53
A330, Great!!! A340, Better!!!

More info later.

Ace McCool
11th Dec 2000, 18:25
I was trying to pax BNE-HKG recently and took my chances showing up to the airport with 65 spare seats showing. Not a chance, the 'great' aircraft could'nt do it...lets hope that the higher weight models that QF are getting can do a bit 'better'.

Jaded
11th Dec 2000, 20:40
"Personal Opinion"
It goes very well. Carries around 45 ton payload and bats along at 370/390 no probs.
The one out of BNE probably had loads of sea food in the holds.
In the main it is reliable and efficient but a little antiseptic.
The lack of feedback for the controls makes for a less involving experience. Great pilots fly it well, average pilots fly it well, guys who might struggle a bit normally fly it well too.
On the plus side the flight deck is very quiet and the take off performance is outstanding.
FCOMs (manual) are not great, and Airbus apply temporay fixes that go on forever.

[This message has been edited by Jaded (edited 11 December 2000).]

roostertail
12th Dec 2000, 07:17
How does it compare to the 777? Not only in the actual aircraft, but the rostering. Do the pilots of one fleet work harder, or more often than those of the other? Or is there more variety on one type?

I'm told that the integrated patterns aren't as long as they once were.

strobes_on
13th Dec 2000, 05:43
FCOM seems to let most A.I. products down.