PDA

View Full Version : Any info on work in EIDW

kilobravo
24th Jan 2005, 14:28
Hi all,

I would like to work in ops but have no airline/airport experience.
I hold a PPL and I am just starting ATPL's. I have spoken to Servisair and was told they might recruit in March, but why would they give a 36yr old PPL with no experience a job? I am a commercial interiors designer by profession, but for me, the airlines is where it's at. Is this a worthwile cause to chase?
Sure, I would like the rhs in a few years, but at my age it's not guaranteed, indeed at any age!? However I am interested in ops and would love to speak to somebody who could talk me through the job and its possibilities in terms of career progress etc. Is there anyone out in Dublin Airport I could talk to? Ideally I would like to work in flight ops as opposed to groundhandling, but I would start anywhere really, as long as I could train and move up. Is this realistic? What are pay scales and hours like, starting at the bottom rung? It seems to be a bit of a closed shop in the aviation world, so how does one get in? I tried Bolton street but they cancelled the dispatch course. When I spoke to someone in Servisair they told me that training was an inhouse affair. Is a course worthwhile doing before applying for work? Is this a much younger person's job at the start? Any info, or names, especially from those of you working in DW would be really helpful.

Pipergirl, are you trying to do same or are you allready in ops but not happy?(read your post):ugh:

j_davey
24th Jan 2005, 19:22
you should also try Aviance or Sky Handling partner. at the moment SHP are looking for dispatchers(temporary basis i think).

SHP can be contacted via the Air France Ticket desk and Aviance by the BA desk afaik.

from what i gather, these jobs are mostly offered in-house and as you mentioned you seem to have to start at the bottom rung which is where i am .... ground handling.

john.

oh yeah forgot to say, now is a good time to get a job on the ramp because summer is fast approaching ..... loads of aircraft not enough men!

kilobravo
25th Jan 2005, 04:31
I will talk to Aviance and SHP. I did speak with SHP several times before Christmas as they had advertised for people, but never got a call to come in. Is it better to call to the desks or simply to call and send a CV? I'll do both. What is pay like and what hours/shift rotations can you expect? I have no probs working hard, just need enough time to do a few hours study a day!
Cheers
KB