PDA

View Full Version : HONG KONG GET ON WITH IT

KIFIS
14th Jan 2001, 10:03
HONG KONG GET ON WITH IT

Edgar Snow the famous American author and correspondent in his book, “ Glory and Bondage “ makes the following statement .Quote,” I don’t know what it is that makes the average middle-class Englishman, well-behaved and unassuming and likable enough at home, begin to take on these patronizing and gauche airs very often as soon as he finds himself among “ natives “ anywhere, but it is a disease, which permeates the entire colonial bureaucracy, and poisons relations between the British and their subjects in many lands. It is all very well to feel superior to other people if you can dissimulate it as skilfully as the Chinese do, but neither the English , the Americans or the Australians (my addition) are as highly civilized as that. “ Unquote.

The older hands in Cathay Pacific with their provident funds secure will dismiss all this with a shrug. However you “ Griffins “ who are now part of the Hong Kong scene would be wise to take these words on board. Not long after Edgar Snow expressed his thoughts the British were kicked out of India having just been kicked out of Burma. More boot was to follow from both Singapore and Malaya. Hong Kong is dragging its feet just a little (the odour of colonialism still lingers) but mark my words further change is coming and so it should.

KIFIS

P.S. “Griffin” : A new arrival in the Far East

fossil fuel
14th Jan 2001, 13:27
KIFIS,
Just what are you trying to start here?

"the odour of colonialism" like it or not, is what made Hong Kong what it is today. I admit there are some whose attitudes leave much to be desired, but don't tar all expats with the same brush.

Thrust
14th Jan 2001, 13:47
Perhaps KIFIS you refer to your generation. Those times are long gone in my experience.
It's interesting that one airline (besides old school BA) that seems to cling to what you describe is Qantas. Yes Captain / Skipper etc. Most of our dinosaurs are retired or on a Europe base!

What prompted this thread?

AtRisk
15th Jan 2001, 05:52
If KIFIS will allow: I think the point he is trying to make is this; we need to pull our heads out and take a look at the bigger picture here in HK overall. I would guess as more clubs close and other colonial run businesses are closing and labour favourites are changing we will be seeing the HK that the colonials built continue to degenerate just like CX. The mentality of those who rule are not the same, and do not have the same arrogance that built HK, and are certain to let it fall. After all hasn't it been a "plan" to return the economic centre of China to Shanghai. Perhaps the point here is that while we see our fight for this company and our jobs and its "security" he is saying we should take a bigger broader look around, and to do a check on the bigger picture.

KIFIS
15th Jan 2001, 10:56
Thrust:

Criticize my writings if you wish but please don’t connect me with Qantas. I consider myself an elder from the tribe that you presently belong to so I guess that makes us whether we like it or not “tribal brothers.”

In answer to your question about what prompted this thread one of the factors was the “unequal treaties” that you have allowed to become part of your terms and conditions of employment. Don’t you think it’s worth comment that the powers that brought about histories “ unequal treaties “ all along the China Coast are the same powers that are bearing down on you. “Watercheck” in the posting that you applauded is crying out for change. My posting says the same thing but in a different way. Perhaps you and I also agree but before that could happen you would have to concede that the barons of colonialism are still there.

AtRisk:
You are correct in every aspect and your analysis of my comments is spot on. Good to see someone with perception.

KIFIS

Thrust
15th Jan 2001, 13:46
Well why didn't you say so tribal brother. Can't say that I like coded messages.

Yes, perhaps our future in HK is not as rosey as we would imagine. My problem though is the way in which the HKSAR is run as an old boys club for rich local famlies. The biggest problem facing the future of HK is the great social devide between the rich and the poor.

Recent cases of not following through on prosecutions in the courts of the rich and famous or their siblings on the basis of it not being in the public interest is very worrying. In surveys carried out within the last 12 months by some of HK's universities the general populace would prefer to be under the colonial institution just replaced.

Amazing how we are never happy isn't it!

And by the way, Edgar Snow sounds just like a few know it all yanks I've met. What he say's may be true of years gone by but I don't believe they are a case study worth considering of your modern middle class pom. How long ago was this written? I find it very derogatory and of little significance today. This past behaviour is almost as bad as Aussies abroad today! More VB.

May I just ask one more question; what do you want us to get on with? Work or industrial action? This is a HK aviation forum after all. No more coded messages please.

KIFIS
16th Jan 2001, 14:23
Thrust:

Pleased to know we are acknowledged tribal brothers. However sometimes family members disagree. Let’s see if we are any different.

I share your sentiments about the old boys club, the rich local families, the social divide and the apparent double standards in the justice system. However ask yourself does any of this matter to you. I don’t think it does because what you are doing and what you will continue to do in post colonial Hong Kong will give you a great career and you will retire financially secure. Will it affect you if Hong Kong gets rid of its colonial barons. I don’t think so. You ducked the question I asked about the “unequal treaties” and I was rather hoping for your views on this because there lies the core of my thread and the message contained in the title. The title is saying that Hong Kong (this city that is now part of new China) should get on with blowing away the remnants of colonialism. These remnants are still channeling trillions of dollars out of Hong Kong and by your own admission the social gap is widening.

Edgar Snow was a decent American and his writings reflect thought, pity and compassion for the under-privileged people of the East. The quotation was written in 1943 when he was a war correspondent in India and observing the dithering Raj. I agree the words are derogatory but at the time they were true. Shortly thereafter the “Ugly American” arrived on the scene and now we have the “Ugly Australian”. What’s next !!

In conclusion young brother considering Chinese New Year is nearly upon us I send you one more coded message (if I may). I say to you “Ping An Four Seasons”. If you don’t have the code for this then ask one of those pretty Chinese girls you are so very fortunate to work with. If the message continues to elude them let me know and I will decode it for you.

KIFIS