PDA

View Full Version : Working at the airport

whitefox
23rd Jan 2005, 14:08
Hi all,
I will be getting my high school diploma this june and would like to work at the airport.

I am 17 years old and was wondering if I could obtain the red pass even though I am a minor?

Thank you for replies
Whitefox:ok:

Ontariotech
23rd Jan 2005, 14:52
Well. at least your keen. I dunno what a red pass is, but I worked at Pearson for 2 years in 98 and 99. I am sure the system has changed post 9/11 for obtaining clearance. I will not go into detail for obvious reasons but you should have no problem obtaining clearance as long as you have stayed outta trouble as a minor. Second, you gotta be outta your mind to be a ramp rat. All weather conditions, snow, rain, cold damp, cargo holds that smell and stink, the fumes, burnt jet fuel and diesel from the vehicles. I hated the work, Loved the aircraft. If you do the job, I would not do it for long. You will hurt your back for sure. I don't care who you are.

I was with Hudson General, worked at T1 and T2 for Canada 3000, Olympic, KLM, Martinair, C3000 was our biggest contract. It was tough in the winter months, like today, -20, could you go outside right now for 3 hours and un-load and load an aircraft? It's tough. For me, it was rewarding, I saw some beautiful aircraft, chatted with pilots ocasionally. Talked to the maintenance guys. It was alot of fun, but I warn you, a tough go. If you want the job, go for it, but the cold is pain in the rear.

rotateandfly
23rd Jan 2005, 15:09
Hey man,

I can only agree with OntarioTech. I worked lineman at the age of 15.

If you get the job dont let them abuse your eagerness to work. Its easier to hurt your back than you may think. Always good to know a few people around your workplace!

-Dave

lol i meant 16 :}

mymymy
24th Jan 2005, 13:38
whitefox,

the answer lies within.................

http://www.tc.gc.ca/vigilance/sep/tscp/menu.htm

What type of work were you considering?

3my

whitefox
24th Jan 2005, 21:29
hi, thanks for replies.

Customer service agent

What do you think?

hibypassratio
24th Jan 2005, 23:03
There are different colors of passes, and they are airport specific. Red is an airside pass. I know that's the color you have as aircrew. I can't recall right now what color the ramp workers have.

All airports have the security screening done in Ottawa. I believe both the RCMP ans CSIS are involved in the process.

mymymy
25th Jan 2005, 13:42
CSA......not exacly my cup of tea, but if that's what interests you then I can only wish wish you the best of luck :)

I not sure of opportunities at the present time....maybe this will help....

http://www.aircanada.com/en/about/career/services.html

Westjet & Jetsgo also expanding......Check their sites for more info.

regards
3my

Ontariotech
28th Jan 2005, 03:31
Well, now having reread the thread a few times....Purple was airside for the ramp, and on the pass in big letters you had either a D for your D licence, to drive the tugs and you needed a Restricted radio operators permit to talk to ground when you were moving aircraft around the apron from gate to gate. A standard drivers permit for the ramp was an avop. Airside Vehicle Operators Permit. Red was aircrew, Blue was building services, and I dunno the rest. Thas all I can remeber. And I guess, as I have read on the above link, fingerprints for the clearance. They never took prints from me before I was given a pass, I guess that is a post 9/11 thing. Good Luck.

JeePilot
28th Jan 2005, 07:51
Red is now used for all airside personal, including rampers (unless they have a green pass while waiting for their red pass?). At least it is for YEG/YYC. Not that it will be much concern to you though, as far as I know the people in C/S only need airport specific photo id and a background check, as they pass through security each time they come to work anyways.

hazatude
2nd Feb 2005, 23:57
A red pass is required for restricted areas only.

The GA ramp at CYHM requires only a GAP (green pass) with a local criminal records check.

I'm in my 8th year on the ramp and it hasn't killed me yet...I've been on the IR a couple of times though. Much better job in the summer.

Good luck and if you are near Hamilton look me up for an interview.