PDA

View Full Version : Taking partners to final interview???...

mali
19th Oct 2000, 06:12
There seems to be much deliberation as to whether or not it's an advantage to take your partner to the final stage interviews in HK or not.
Sum say it may be a hinderance; while aside from the obvious fact they get to check it out for themselves, others say it could be a good thing. Any advice???

Lerxt
20th Oct 2000, 13:09
If you want to get in do it....provided she isn't negative about it! Give her a good briefing.

fire wall
20th Oct 2000, 21:30
many have fallen foul of the evil cow with her moment on the "stage"....if you query otherwise then ask of the Saudia Capt.....besides...who are they employing...and what is your staff # dear?

yeah just try ....cause I am in the mood!

Oil Captain
21st Oct 2000, 19:07
As you use the term "partner" instead of spouse this alludes to the fact that you are defacto/significant others and not legally bound by a certificate. Therefore what is the requirement to take this person if not legally bound by paper?
I did not really want to go to the CX interview as a wife, but I went and had a great time. I really enjoyed the days alone to travel around HK by myself. It was good for me. I actually like HK and did from the first day there. I went out on my own. I went to places I most likely should not have been to and seen, but it gave me a better sense of the place. I learned about the housing aspect of things as I took the ferry over to Discovery Bay and looked at 5 flats there. Then I went and looked at 4 or 5 flats in Kowloon. What a shock I had about the size of a place for the amount of money they wanted. Talk about sticker shock!
If your "partner" has been less than charming and graceful in other socially important situations then definitely brief this person on the behaviour of "smile keep your mouth shut and speak only when spoken to and say very little then; just smile nod and say uh huh, oh yes and that's nice!" That is if this person has demonstrated total lack of breeding. But if your partner is charming witty and has a good head for polite cocktail conversation then by all means let that person be your front at the party. They (CX team) will only meet your partner at the party they will not ask your partner to describe the differences between a jet and turbo prop plane. They are just watching you and yours. This tradition is still held in many major corporations around the world. Unless they have some psychologist there observing from a corner saying "this one is serious trouble" I doubt you have anything to worry about, but then again, they may have a person doing the I Ching with the glasses you and your partner held to see what the all knowing says about you. Kind of like the dice cup in a game of backgammon you just don't know what the roll will say.
Having been the spouse "partner" that went to the interview I say take them. My husband used me as a sounding board and had someone to talk to after each phase, which can be better for you. It can help you to not worry so much about how you did and keep you from feeling so alone in a very different kind of place.
My husband was horrible in social settings. If ever there was the true essence of faux pas it was he. After the first event we ever went to it was a serious discussion about behaviour and what to and not to say at such events before we went. Perhaps your partner has more experience with being in such social scenes and can truly help you more than hinder you. ONLY YOU KNOW!
Just don't think it really has that much to do with you unless your partner really stands out in some adverse way. If you have doubts and you are not legally married then don't take the person and go alone, but be careful afterwards if you plan to say you want to bring this person after you are hired. The reason for not taking them would be as strong as there is no way we will be together if I am hired and then you arrive there with your bags and partner in tow..not too cool. Another thing is that this is standard procedures for all interviewees and before you even arrive on the scene you are wanting to be the exception. Does this project an image of desire to fit in with their corporate culture? Does this demonstrate the level of your cooporation to bend over for CX? Just some things to ask yourself.
Another thing about the spouse/partner going is that the visas will have to cover the two people or two plus offspring.

Warhawk
26th Oct 2000, 11:10
Remember its not just about social skills. Without trying to preach about realtionships - BE CAREFUL.
CX is wary of 'unstable' relationships causing hassles later on. By unstable I mean lack of total commitment to HK or YOU under any & all circumstances.

Especially with the rise of the 'career woman' it has been known for a partner to split and cause probs for the crew memmber and ipso facto CX.

Make sure she (or he) will give a great performance re commitment and loving HK. Especially at the cocktail drinkies - they are watching her/him as much as you.

wok4CX
28th Oct 2000, 13:06
Warhawk,

On the near future I'll be getting
the cocktail,which I'll bring along
my wife ,do you've any idea the
purpose of the cocktail.
(besides the social life),any comments.

thanking you in advance.

w4CX

[This message has been edited by wok4CX (edited 28 October 2000).]

Warhawk
28th Oct 2000, 23:03
Dear WOK4CX,

Not sure what you're after as I note you already give your profile location as the New Territories. So I'll assume you are not a CX spy.

In reply, my impression of my cocktails deal (was in the old Kai Tak HKAC then)was a chance for you to meet the Mgt (usually DFO, HR Mgr etc) and for them to observe your social compatability with firstly other recruits and with their own expectations.
Often your sim checker will be there too, together with recruitment bods (TP or AL) - so theres someone familiar for U. The offical line was it was not part of the process but anyone with a little savvy could tell what was going on. Friends in the know in Flt Ops have confimed this to me.

Don't drink to excess, don't tell dirty or chinese jokes, and please make sure your wife makes a good job of acting like she loves HK and U - forever! It does not look good to have an overly ambitious partner who looks like she'll dump you at the first sign of a good job offer! (Its happened!)

It doesn't take long - just play it cool and middle of the road. Airlines don't like 'personalities' these days I'm afraid! Be bland but nice & PC and you'll be fine.

Pilot Barbie
29th Oct 2000, 01:02
I hope you guys are only talking about a "performance" from your spouses on the night. Or do you stop off in Mong Kok to get a quick labotomy for "overly ambitious spouses" before you go?

Warhawk
29th Oct 2000, 04:14
Come on Barbie lets go party....

Hey I'm not knocking ambition - just trying to give em the best chance poss.

PS - Does Ken have a blue jump suit?

Oil Captain
29th Oct 2000, 20:40
Since mali does not designate if they are male or female is one aspect, but seeing as how the profile says NSW I figure it is male. Since the word "partner" as opposed to spouse or wife was used I will guess this is a defacto relationship. First of all mali needs to make the decision of whether this is going to be a full legal marriage or remain as defacto. If the relationship is important then there are two choices. 1) Get married as getting visa's to another country for a person that is not married or with intentions to marry in the near future is very difficult and time consuming. 2) If this is not in the picture then mali should say to his partner that he is going without her and if he gets the job he will go with or without her. If you have said on the application that you are not married then there should be no worries. If you said you were there are factors to be taken into account. I am not going to assume what HK rules are for defacto relationships but I can assure you that your defacto would not get a resident visa here in USA. Even though this is a common law country (except two states) the INS doesn't acknowledge common law/defacto relationships. Here it then becomes palimony not a leagal marriage. How important is this relationship and its future to mali is the key question? None of us here can answer that question.
Then again when I went to the interview things went very well at the cocktail party. It was the rest of the interview that my X did not pass. I had personally talked to Tony and Clare many times before we went to the interview. Personally if you want the job mali, then you are the one needing to put the most effort forward, and as a man you should learn to be adroit enough to know how to do a save with a woman in any situation. This should be especially true of a woman with whom you have been in a serious/semi serious relationship with for how ever long. As a woman I have had to do the save many times in social situations with men who were less than properly trained in etiquette. So it comes down to:
What did you put down on the application; married yes or no?
Do you have the intention to make this relationship one with the legalities of the commitment of marriage? (If you aren't already)
If you are married the standard norm is to take the spouse. Are you wanting to stand out as one wanting to be an exception before you ever get through the interview process? Hmm. Consider this; you are one of hundreds and many of that hundred are smooth sailing no problems to the recruiting office. Does/will this (wanting to be an exception) really effect your chances? YES IT DOES!!! YOU are the main one they are looking at not the person you bring with you. Granted they will want to know the level of committment between you and yours etc., with regards to living in and being able to cope with life in HK. However, it still comes down to you.
How you handle yourself in all aspects is the key. If your partner goes and she/he does not present themselves well then how are you managing the situation? Standing back cringing probably won't win you points, and arguing and being a bully won't either. Are you clingy and unable to mingle with those who will be your bosses?
Diplomacy, discretion, communication are the factors that they will be watching, because how you deal with people in such situations can be crucial in a cockpit, or dealing with cabin crews, or an unruly/normal pax. Where and what are your abilities to deal with such situations? Only you know the answers, and only you mali can know whether you should or should not take this venture with or without your partner.

[This message has been edited by Oil Captain (edited 29 October 2000).]

wok4CX
1st Nov 2000, 15:29
Warhawk,

No worries,really appreciate.
thank's.

w4CX

Oil Captain
1st Nov 2000, 17:59
Sometimes men are worthy of being dumped whether a good job comes along or not. I think that game should be two fold there. The men should also act like their wives are important and aren't going to be stranded in HK with having to return home or find a way to live after the hubby has had a few games of skirt chasing. Men and women can spot men like that a mile away. Actually they are much easier to spot than a woman wanting to have a life. I will agree with the don't drink in excess. But the who is the most committed game is a two way street and both parties (husbands and wives) are going to be watched.

wonderbusdriver
3rd Nov 2000, 13:53
Oil Captain:

You have one lucky partner/spouse!!

Havenīt seen so much common sense in a while.