PDA

View Full Version : B Scale Backlash

realitycx
2nd Sep 2000, 03:00
We need to be careful that we look after our B Scale colleagues. The fact that they work side by side doing the same job for a lot less money appears to be firmly on the back shelf where the AOA committee is concerned. As for the company, well, do either KB or NR even remember that 2 scales exist?

Just in case you wonder what I mean, consider the reaction of the average B Scaler to a couple of recent bits of news:

Roster Negotiations, specifically, the credit hour system
Profit share

The connection?
Answer: Both involve a bit of extra money for extra work or work well done. Hurrah!

hmmmmhhhhhhh…………not quite. Because these things are paid as multiple of monthly salary:

Apparently, a B Scale Officer’s extra hour of duty is worth less than an A Scale Officer’s.

- and

It would seem that a B Scale Officers contribution to profits is worth less than his A Scale colleague.

Well, here’s the rub:

The company will tend to roster B Scale Officers for overtime – its cheaper.
B Scale officers deserve more profit share – not less. Just as KB stated recently, we wouldn’t be turning in these results with our pre ’93 cost base.

For NR et al
Quit acting like we are all on one scale (as we were pre ’93 and your predecessors came up with these schemes) and recognise the contribution of ‘B Scale’ staff.

For the AOA
Here is a real way to begin to get us back on a single scale.

The Bottom Line
At the very least we need a ‘ghosted’ single scale (just like C&T have to protect their P Fund contributions)

Then when things like profit share and overtime are worked out in terms of monthly pay, there is some notion of fair reward for fair effort.

jtr
2nd Sep 2000, 05:39
I agree entirely with your sentiment, however I do not believe B scale can expect the backing from A scale. If the mindset was there then B scale would never have happened in the first place. The company has the ideal position of having the ranks split into more divisions than I can count.

realitycx
2nd Sep 2000, 11:28
Jtr

Your are quite right to point out that the A Scale could have stopped all this in the first place. However, that opportunity occurred some time ago and for various reasons we were unable to do so. Perhaps at the time it was lack of industrial experience, perhaps the company was not doing so well then and concessions were easier to extract from us – perhaps we trusted the company then!

Well we have a lot more industrial experience – the company is doing spectacularly well and we know that the company will not do us a favor out of the goodness of it’s heart. We have learned to be as hard nosed as they are.

Times have changed – mindsets should have changed. It is astonishing that the issue of A and B scale has not been directly addressed in this time of bumper profits and soaring share options.

A single ghosted scale for profit share and overtime are is the very least the B Scalers should expect.

[This message has been edited by realitycx (edited 02 September 2000).]

jtr
2nd Sep 2000, 16:28
I would probably choose to start a little nearer to something concrete which will exist in ones pay packet, as opposed to o/t and profit share, which can both be manipulated by the company. The only option that springs to mind is salary...

realitycx
2nd Sep 2000, 17:09
I couldn't agree more.

The suggestion of a ghosted scale for Profit Share and Overtime comes from a sense of pragmatism - they are on the table/topical, therefore IMHO more achievable. Show me the road map to a single pay scale and count me in.

What I am suggesting is that a ghosted scale for Profit Share and Overtime might be the first crossroads en route to a single scale.

jtr
3rd Sep 2000, 03:02
Crossroads? The conditions that have been forced upon crew at various times in the past have occured more like two semis meeting head-on. That <I believe> is the only way any of the current situations can be reversed. I don`t believe we can gently persuade the company into massive changes to any one groups CoS. I don`t think in 5 years time NR or whoever will look back and say...

`Wow B scale is now on 85% of A scale, those sly buggers have been chipping away at us all this time, we shouldn`t have met them at the crossroads.`

If any changes are going to occur I think it will be more likely the we as a body lay a proposal and say..
`Here it is, you have three options 1) Accept it. 2) Come up with something that you like better, and is acceptable to us. 3) Decline it and watch the faeces hit the cooling apparatus. Thanks for your time, see you in one week`

So is it likely that this will happen while we as a group are scattered between A-scale, B-scale, C-scale (CoS), ASL/Freighter, Based/Non Based etc ? Probably not.

Strength comes from unity. Unity is something we do not have. Why...

Jumper
6th Sep 2000, 16:36
And of course, the worst paid of the lot on D scales (VETA freighters) get even less of a share in spite of the risks carrying the **** (chemical rather than the rubber variety) we have to which nearly wiped out a heavy/ dt crew recently.
Payment for working G days on the company scheme proposed, which is likely to be IMposed on freighters as a multiple of salary is derisory.
The profit sharing bonus will work out less overall than ASL,s non-contractural bonus taking into account GBP 2400 loss in allowances over the year. Why doesn't VETA Freighters pay an embedded 13th month as received by VETA pax in the first place.??