PDA

View Full Version : Confused UK Wannabe

iomwill
22nd Jan 2005, 21:02
Right then now i am confused,

Basically being a commercial pilot has alway's been an ambition of mine which i alway's thought was out of my reach! after a recent relationship breakdown with yes a BA Hostie! i've re-evaluated my life and thought right i'd like to chase one of my lifetime's dreams!!

Basically i work in IT and was searching around the various options for integrated training in the US, im in the process of renevating my house which will give me the equity! and found the westwind school in arizona which on the face of it sounded quite good, training / job as an instructor on completion / build up flight time to 1000hrs while attending a local uni to complete an aviation degree while building up flight time!

All sounds too good on the face of it, what's people's thought's, is there anyone on here that's done an integrated course in the US, stayed on as an instructor / done a degree (is it required??) built up flight time etc and then returned to the UK after 2-3yrs and been succesfull? also what's the state of play with job's in the US as this company are quoting 40% off all Pilot's will retire within the next 10yrs is this true? are there more job oppertunities in the US than UK (before you say it i know it's a bigger place)

Any comments appreciated

Cheers.

Will.

Simon_Sez
22nd Jan 2005, 21:58
Hi Will,

Hope the renovating is going well, I know it can be a nightmare. But, as you say, the increase in revenue is a nice return :D

In regards to your own situation, just be careful at taking statements like "instructors job on completion" etc as gospel. Unless you have this as a formal job offer before you start your training (of which there is ZERO possibility, I would imagine), you're definitely not guaranteed an instructor's job.

Is the aviation degree arranged through the flight school or do you have to sort all that yourself? Will this involve a substantial extra investment? Blah blah...ask yourself all the obvious questions and ensure you're fully comfortable with the answers.
If in doubt, keep looking.

Personally, I know nothing about the school so please just take this as my opinion and advice. The degree sounds very good if it's arranged through the flight school, and yes, most (ALL of the major US airlines) require you to have a four-year university degree.

The two basic rules are:

1. Never pay all training costs up front
2. Always have a back-up plan

Simple.

Regards,

Simon.

Simon853
23rd Jan 2005, 07:23
Hi,
I'm in a similar position except I have the mental condition that makes me want to fly helicopters instead. ;)

I'm planning to give up my decent paying career job and sell my house, which should net me £80k of equity. I've just done the medical so the only hurdles I have left are all mental ones. i.e. Have I got the balls to go through with it and give it the best shot I can?..

Couple of points to note about the J1 visa scheme, (of which I've been doing a lot of research lately): It will almost certainly restrict you to instructing only for the remainder of the 2 years validity after you finish training. The school you train at will continue to be responsible for you and have to agree wherever you wish to find work. Many are helpful but some I've heard can be obstructive if you wish to go and fly with someone else, even if they have no work for you themselves.

There are no guarantees. It all seems to be about spending your money constructively. You're investing in your future.

Si

lscajp
23rd Jan 2005, 18:08
Hi there,

40% in the US, I have heard from a colleague its about 18% during 2007 here in the UK. I may be way off the mark as was not listening to him properly.....

Anyone define it better?

Timeout
23rd Jan 2005, 21:31
lscajp - have a look at:

http://www.ctcaviation.com/wings/

There are 3 threads running with many questions about the scheme ansered.

Timeout

wbryce
24th Jan 2005, 16:59
Hello iomwill

I would do a lot of research for all the various paths you can take.

When I first posted and asked about information about learning to fly I too was so deeply convinced that the America route was the best route for me but the more I looked in to this route the more I wanted to just stay in the UK and do modular training. It’s a general trend that I've noticed. Many people who post looking for some advice and guidance normally mention the US route mostly because the user thinks there’s a large saving.

For example once you have completed your training in the US and you wish to work in the UK you will have to convert your FAA licence to a JAA licence (I think the average conversion charges are around 15k?? plus all the ground theory exams)

I would say the best way is a modular route in the UK and if you want to save a few £££ then do one or two ratings or hour building in the states.

Good luck on what ever you decide.

damn spelling