PDA

View Full Version : Helicopter Crew Honored

Heliport
22nd Jan 2005, 20:15
From WBAY News report
Helicopter Crew Honored a Year After Rescue

Bay of Green Bay, Wisconsin -

Pilot George Miller, Lieutenant Shaun Stamnes, and Mike Orlando, the crew of Brown County rescue helicopter will receive the National American Eurocopters Golden Hour Award next month. The award honors helicopter crews who advance the use of helicopters in rescue missions.

This time last year, the crew made a daring attempt to save an Illinois couple who fell into open water on the bay of Green Bay. The couple got lost in blizzard-like conditions on the bay and drove their snowmobiles into unfamiliar territory and into the water.
When one fell into the water, the other went for help and went into open water, too, so they were both lost in separate locations. One was able to call 911 on his cellphone, helping dispatchers narrow their location before losing contact.

After minutes of searching in the whiteout conditions, and unable to set down on the weak ice, the crew of the Eagle III helicopter managed to pull both people from the water and both survived.

One of the survivors, Richard Olszewski, knows he almost died in those conditions but he doesn't recall how. "I don't really remember too much at all."
And yet he can't stop thinking about it. "There is no explanation for why I'm still standing here talking to you, to be honest with you. Nobody really knows, so I definitely got a second chance at life."

That's thanks in part to paramedics Stamnes and Orlando, who had just settled in for a quiet night at County Rescue when Olszewski's 911 call came in: "My snowmobile went under the water. My girlfriend's on ice. Can you hear me?"

Orlando recalled, "That was my first helicopter rescue.

It's probably one of those once-in-a-career calls that you go on," Stamnes, the Eagle III crew chief, said.

Dispatchers listened intently to the rescue operation and were relieved when they heard: "Brown County, the party is on board and we're heading back to Green Bay."

Completing this rescue made them realize it could happen all over again.
"It has given a little more meaning to the training we do. People look back at that one instance and say 'Tonight, I could be doing that,'" Stamnes said. "Just snowmobiles in general, it's in your mind, something that stays with you for the rest of your life," Orlando said.

Olszewski says he gets colder faster and has two badly frostbitten fingers, but he still snowmobiles even on the bay.

The two went into the water about one-and-a-half miles from shore. Olszewski said he still comes out there -- in the daylight -- to see where he was rescued.
"Makes you think a little bit," he said. "If it wasn't for them, I wouldn't be standing here right now."

http://www.eagle3.org/images/p-gurney.jpg

The EC135 Eagle III is allowed to fly over water up to 50 miles away from land, greatly reducing times to communities located on the bay of Green Bay.

http://www.eagle3.org/images/10.jpg
Eagle III over the Fox River in Green Bay

Old Man Rotor
24th Jan 2005, 10:11
I can't for one minute allow this to slip off Page 1, without a comment.

Why do we just ignore this type of accolade?

Maybe we think its over the top, or not justified, or I did the same 3 times last year and no one noticed.?

Or maybe that the organisation has to nominate someone or their 2004 Year Book page 1 would be blank.

I personably believe that these "events" are managed and won by those with the biggest PR team.

How many times have "you" stretched your capability, and for what???...sweet buggger all!!!

And yet hear that some big SAR mob with the biggest and best of everything [including PR mobs] has done something that only they can do.???

Not that this episode relates to some thing big. Maybe news was scarce that day.

Cant help but feel for those many many folks that routinely bust their butts with no thanks at all.

Keep it up folks.

SASless
24th Jan 2005, 12:08
Yet when an amateur with a Robinson R-44 in Utah goes out on his own dime....without any government support or blessing and does good deeds, instead of being called a hero, finds himself called up on the carpet by the FAA.

Jeremy Johnson did such a thing during some flooding recently, went out in some very rotten weather, rescued a family and later gave joyrides to rise money for the family which had lost everything they owned. He took not one cent for giving the rides instead asking merely for donations to the family.

I have written to the newspaper reporter and suggested just what a rotten deal that was and noted that I surely hoped the FAA would understand the value of mercy in Jeremy Johnson's case.

Last night I sent an e-mail to the HAI suggesting he would be a very good candidate for any honours they could provide. I told them that in my view, Johnson displays the attributes of a "Real Helicopter Pilot" by being willing to assist his neighbors and community in times of need.

I would think there are others, who after researching that story, will do the same thing if they agree with the account given by the news people.

:ok:

Lu Zuckerman
24th Jan 2005, 16:00
There were no PR firms involved in the awarding of the American Eurocopter award it just happened that this outstanding flight was in an American Eurocopter aircraft. If they were flying an S-76 or a Bell 412 do you think American Eurocopter would have presented the Award? Most helicopter companies have similar awards but most are awarded as a part of an American Helicopter Society award program.

:E :E

Oogle
24th Jan 2005, 19:43
Chaps, just to remind you that last year's winners (or the year before - I can't remember) were the SouthCare HEMS service based in Canberra, Australia flying a Bell 412. They actually rescued a downed Bell 206 pilot from a lake after this aircraft crashed during fie bombing exercises. I think it also mentioned that a local Govt. Minister who was on board (the Bell 412) decided to get his feet wet and assist in the rescue. No Eurocopter aircraft anywhere to be seen.

Sort of have to agree that many many organisations around the world are conducting similar rescue everyday BUT if you don't shout loud enough you won't get heard.

Congratulations to the crew of the Brown County rescue service. Sounds like a tough job :ok:

gadgetguru
24th Jan 2005, 20:25
if we are the people whom care most what public recognition is attributed to those members of our flying community
then why not begin a thread where the members can post commendations for such occurences they either participated in or are aware of, (either a 'blow your own trumpet' or better still where colleagues are aware of an occurence) that is worthy of mention, put it forward.

perhaps as much as possible use media reports of each (if accurate or not would have to be addressed)

seems we are happy enought to run a thread for all the bad things that happen or the trivial niceties ('best photo' - which i also enjoy :O )

seems the media troll through this site to pickup the negative (Oz Army Gold Coast Indi incident), maybe they might pick up some of the good work that gets done too (nothing like an optimist)

on the other hand, i do recall a lot of debate when photos of some crews performing rescues, that some felt were unsafe/risky/dangerous/etc. (what if...) whereas others were commending the crew for their courage & actions (a successful mission, a life saved).

would it be too much to ask the flamers to recognise the thread for its true intention? (credit where credit's due)

or shouldn't we bother ensuring that the good work is well recognised? :rolleyes: