PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Interviews

Bypass
2nd Sep 2000, 02:02
Anyone in the know,
Are they currently interviewing?
Any hints on the interview?

------------------
Anything as long as it doesn't have props!

brownoser
2nd Sep 2000, 23:30
Been there, done that....work your **** off, fly to China, minimum days off, no life. Are there any really happy Dragonair pilots out there? Not too many I would imagine!

Flap 5
3rd Sep 2000, 20:40
There are one or two management people in Dragon (especially Manager Personnel) who think that pilots, especially foreign ones, are overpaid and make too much fuss.

I see that Dragon are advertising in Flight again. If you look at the airlines that have been advertising for jet jobs in Flight it has usually been the ones that have difficulty in getting pilots and do not offer a good deal. So beware. As an Aussie you will also find the cost of living very expensive in Hong Kong.

Bypass
4th Sep 2000, 12:57
Thanks guys, looks like i was lucky, got thanks but no thanks letter today.

Bla Bla..... But you havn't got any wide body time...... Yeah thanks for that.... That would be why i'm trying to get my first wide body job........

------------------

Jaded
4th Sep 2000, 16:37
Once there was a recession snip, snip, snip.
Now it's over stretch, stretch, stretch.....snap!!!!

An idiots guide to greed.

brownoser
4th Sep 2000, 17:50
Sorry about your response Bypass but not too many years ago they took guys on with just twotter, cessna light twin and HS 748 time. Some of these guys have proven to be and still are valuable members of the pilot community there so why don't you managers with short memories and fat bank balances give these guys a go. Having jet time means nothing if you haven't got what it takes.

[This message has been edited by brownoser (edited 04 September 2000).]

Bypass
5th Sep 2000, 02:09
:)Thanks guys, you made me smile, guess i'll keep on knocking....

sigma
5th Sep 2000, 22:00
I spoke to Mr Mike Kitney in the summer of 1996, if I remember correctly they had a few guys from the UK, Manx airlines on the ATP. 1500 hrs rrequirement.

Jaded
7th Sep 2000, 20:40
Most of the new hires are off King Airs or small twins.

sigma
7th Sep 2000, 21:50
Hong Kong's second carrier Dragonair is studying the acquisition of an Airbus Industrie A330 simulator as it continues on an ambitious expansion course that will see its fleet doubling over the next five years.

General manager of the regional operator's new flight training centre, Capt Felix Hart, says studies into the acquisition of an A330 full-flight simulator have been carried out since around the time a first simulator for A320 training went into service in June this year.

He says Dragonair estimates that it will use the CAE-made A320 simulator for around 3,000hr per year, leaving open another 2,000hr for third-party use which is likely to start soon.

Hart estimates that an A330 simulator can be used by Dragonair for 2,000hr per year, leaving open around 3,000hr for use by other parties.

"I'm confident that we can make a viable commercial case for the A330 simulator," he says.

Hart adds that the airline is open to various methods to acquire one, such as through a sale- and lease-back arrangement, a "power-by-the-hour" arrangement, direct purchase or co-operation with a major crew training provider.

Dragonair currently trains its A330 pilots on simulators at Airbus facilities in both Beijing and Toulouse, as well as at Cathay Pacific Airways' crew training centre in Hong Kong. Hart says Cathay has informed Dragonair that it will not be able to provide time on A330 simulators next year, however, because of its own training requirements.

The regional carrier currently operates an all-Airbus passenger fleet comprising five Rolls-Royce Trent 700-powered A330-300s plus six International Aero Engines V2500-powered A320s and three A321s. Another A320 is to be returned to Dragonair next year after a lease agreement expires with Taiwan's TransAsia Airways.

Dragonair earlier this year detailed a major fleet expansion that will lift its passenger fleet to 26 aircraft by the end of 2005 through the purchase and lease of additional A320s, A321s and A330s.

The carrier was launched in 1985 and now operates passenger services to 26 cities in Asia including 17 in mainland China. It recently started operating all-cargo services to the Middle East, Europe and China using a Boeing 747-200 freighter on wet-lease from Atlas Air, and has outlined plans to acquire more freighters in the coming years.

New passenger flights to Kathmandu in Nepal are also to be launched late in October, while existing services to major cities in China have been upgraded in recent months.

Hart, who has been with the carrier since its establishment, says the expansion plans put a much greater focus on crew training. He adds that he foresees a global pilot shortage in the coming years and this will put additional pressure on airlines to have their own pilot training capabilities.

In addition to introducing its first flight simulator this year as well as cabin crew training devices, Dragonair has launched a cadet pilot training programme and a first class of students has just completed schooling. Hart says three of four students sent to Australia for training graduated, adding that a new class of five is to start training soon.

Source: Air Transport Intelligence news

Bypass
8th Sep 2000, 00:25
Thanks guys for the info.

Any sugestions for a 30 YO Australian
TT 6000
Turbo Prop 1600 Command Multi Crew
Jet 800 Command Multi Crew (Citation)
Check and Training
Bla Bla

It would seem that no one wants to give me an interview, I'm starting to feel a little despondent.

I'll keep on knocking, but i'm starting to feel like i'm to old for 2nd O, as i can't get an interview, and everyone looking for FO wants wide body time......

------------------

Reverend
9th Sep 2000, 05:03
Anyone have some helpful hints on the medical at KA. Did a search query about Dragonair and someone had said that is was 20/20 uncorected vision. That thread was over a year ago.

Any new insight ??? :)

Thanks in advance.........

HIALS
9th Sep 2000, 05:23
Bypass, I had to reply to your unfortunate 'no-thanks' letter from Dragonair because you infer that the letter said you weren't successful because of your experience.

I work for Dragonair and there are, and have been, plenty of guys and gals join with the sort of experience you have. On that basis, I think you should look at your personality and interview manner for the reasons that you are in your present predicament. Experience is not the common factor as to why some get in and some don't.

Additionally, it is my understanding from discussions with some of the recruitment team that reasons are NEVER given for rejection. So why are you so certain that your experience let you down?

I agree with the other people who have posted comments on this thread about the general state of morale here - but we do have one valuable thing. The pilots that make up the group I call my colleagues are a very nice lot. To date, I have to take my hat off to the recruitment process in Dragonair because they have (by and large) picked nice people.

We don't want those who thinks the industry owes them, just because they have some experience. We want those who are competent and nice to get along with. Because this is the only insulation we have against the management.

Jaded
9th Sep 2000, 11:39
Rev
Re Eyesight
For a "qualified" pilot ie a professional licence holder you have to be able to obtain a Class 1 medical.

If you need glasses that's not a problem.

For a cadet the company wants uncorrected vision on the basis that starting at 20ish you'll be around for a while.

FlyingCrew
9th Sep 2000, 18:15
Any chance for people with only 2100 total hrs on business jet and turboprop with EFIS experience to get in?

All advise appreciated.Thanks.

Bypass
9th Sep 2000, 23:59
HIAL i didn't meen to imply that i didn't recieve an interview because of my hours.

I have a gut feeling that's all.

You said it may be my Psy. or personality, i wish i was capable of getting an interview so that i would know.......

I spoke to a very nice guy in recruitment at Dragon, who advised me that they would be only interviewing people with wide time at the moment or time on type.

------------------

Chinos
13th Sep 2000, 02:01
Hi all,
I know they are hiring and I have sent my CV weeks ago. I am 320 rated (FO) with little time on type and tt 6000 hrs. When I dont hear anything is that a good or bad sign?
Do they normally reply if its thanks but no thanks?

Mr Nice guy
13th Sep 2000, 07:44
Hi guys, u know if Dragonair have finished selecting the next lot of cadets yet?

sigma
14th Sep 2000, 21:36
Email
Tim watts via [email protected]
[email protected]

I think the emails are correct.

shimmydamper
23rd Sep 2000, 12:14
Hello

I have an interview with Dragon coming up in October.
i can use all the info to prepare for it.
whats the pay for an F/O?

thanks

S.

Reverend
1st Oct 2000, 04:21
Anyone hear from Dragonair lately ??? :) :)