PDA

View Full Version : More job woes for Zimbabwe

Coleman Myers
22nd Jan 2005, 13:24
Somebody once told me not to comment on Zimabwe until I understood fully what the operators and crews actually get subjected to there.

Does anyone know who the pilots are and if they secured other work ?.

Subject : Fw: interesting article Re: Re: AVIATION INVESTMENT CAUTION

"Aircraft Leasing represents a small group of
philanthropic venture capitalists seeking to develop
aviation intetests in the emerging markets of the third
world, with particular emphasis on bringing on board
local partnerships. In the long term, the local
partners take over businesses without the heavily
establishment capital investment, by way of lease
purchase from Aircraft Leasing Capital.

Recently certain group members underwrote a start-up
air ambulance project, in Harare, Zimbabwe. This was to
be the first time that a local Zimbabwean had fully
controlled a service that had for many years been
performed by foreigners, both operationally and
financially, with little or no long term benefit for
the Zimbabwean aviation industry.

The project got off to a good start by securing the
lease of two very suitable aircraft with a back-up
third aircraft where required. Two of the aircraft were
locally registered, creating an excellent opportunity
for employment of local pilots and engineers.

The viability study showed that with the current
depressed tourism and investment situation in Zimbabwe,
pilots and engineers were seeking employment abroad,
haemorraging the expertise base.

The third and principal aircraft was Kenyan registered,
but the Zimbabwean operator had a commitment from the
lessor in Nairobi to obtain the neccessary permits,
allowing Zimbabweans to validate their licenses and
therefore operate the Kenyan registered aircraft.This
is where Aircraft Leasing Capital came in.

According to our preliminary findings, what happened
next was a clear example of the complete lack of real
committment to furthering of the Aviation industry in
Africa:

1/ The representative of the local civil aviation
authority in Harare responsible for the validation of
the Kenyan aircrafts credentials set about trying to
deport the Kenyan pilot sent to assist with initial
assesment and training of the Zimbabweans. It is
unclear why the Kenyan pilot became the focus of this
action, other than perhaps it was unclear to the
official as to how any positive outcome would be of
benefit to him.

2/ The company on-leasing the aircraft(s) from the
operator had an internal control struggle clearly
founded distrust, apparently about who was getting what
benefit out of the deal. Two warring factions emerged,
one determined to undermine wherever possible, the
others relationship with the operator.

The end result is an aircraft returned to Kenya after 7
hours of revenue flying in a whole month, five pilots
job security in limbo and a bill of over $ 20 000 for
our troubles. It is our intention to publish a
guideline to investing in third world aviation ventures
and this incident will feature, in far greater depth in
that document." INVESTAIRORG JAN2005/1

BAKELA
22nd Jan 2005, 16:51
This sort of brings a certain Airlink Zimbabwe (Flywell Airlines Ltd) matter to mind that I don't think went down too well with the Zim authorities (I'm loath to call them a Government!).

Ballas
23rd Jan 2005, 10:59
Sad to say, but the company in mention is pretty much the only fish left in the pond. Worry not, 5 pilots did not loose work, as far as I understand there was only 1 pilot employed. The rest were being "paid" by the hour when needed.

A very sad state of affairs.

B Sousa
23rd Jan 2005, 13:55
I see these posts here continually. The only thing I dont understand is why are people surprised............

alexmcfire
23rd Jan 2005, 20:22
Here´s more on the struggle in Zim to run an airline,
http://allafrica.com/stories/200501200377.html

Chuck Ellsworth
23rd Jan 2005, 22:35
It's really sad to see such a maginficient tourist country go back to the stone age...

...I wonder what Vic Falls is like now?

How many Zim dollars do you need to buy a coke today?

Chuck E.

lokione
24th Jan 2005, 00:28
America invades for much less than this particular leader dishes out. Shame................guess there's just no oil in Zim. Probably no WMD either!!:mad:

24th Jan 2005, 12:23
Probably no WMD either!!

True mate, and no food either.........no money and eiish, no wek!!

B Sousa
24th Jan 2005, 16:50
Lokione has a Point. I also sort of wish that We would quit feeding Africa. Further that all countries would not loan money to any African countries, its a waste.
So lets see, no money, no weapons, no food for about 10 years and Africa could make it on its own. South Africa did OK during the boycott, tough times yes, but if they had to they could do it again. There just wouldnt be enough cash for the despots to store in offshore accounts.
AND we wouldnt have to see all those stupid T Shirts throughout the continent..
As to Amrica invading,Africa, its not politically correct.
As to WMD, I think they just found them stored in the Military Museums......Major Threat there.
What say you..

tongwe
26th Jan 2005, 11:28
I recently took some clients up to Zim in a BE200, as the connections they required wern't available (FVKB and FVWK). I landed at Joshua Nkomo (FVBU) to clear customs and was told that Hwangi was closed by ATC. The closet being Vic Falls (FVVF). So we bomb off to the falls, and this is the bit you will like.

Bulawayo:
Landing and approach fees US$ 35-00
Parking US$ 10-00

Victoria Falls:
Landing fee US$ 80-00
ATNS and Approach fee US$ 120-00
Passenger tax US$ 15 per person (x6)
Parking fee US$ 25-00 per day

Bus to Hwangi main Camp US$ 20-00 per person (x8)
Entry to the Park US$ 15-00 per person.

No fuel at Vic falls without special or prior arrangement. Requested 2000lbs JetA1, can't help. If they could, US$ 4-00 a litre!!!

Took off and did a cross border into Zambia and landed at Livingstone. The landing and parking fee was US$12 and fuel was US$ 2.80 a Gallon.

Kariba was not much better, but the inconsistancies is amazing. Good luck to any one else going there. Stay out of Vic Falls, go to Livingstone instead.

Coleman Myers
30th Jan 2005, 17:15
Vic Falls are tearing the ar*e out just a bit ?. What ever happened to Spray View or the new strip they were building privately nearer to town ?. The law of diminishing returns is truly lost on these types of countries. As for LIVINGSTONE check this for a rare glimmer of third world hope ...

Aviation Body Wants Positive Policy for Emerging Airlines

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By NKOLE CHITALA

The Aviation Association of Zambia (AVIAZ) has urged Government to come up with a positive policy that will support emerging airlines in the industry.

AVIAZ president Jacob Chisela said in an interview in Lusaka yesterday that government should increase and provide support to the private sector especially in executing an airline policy if the sector is to be enhanced.

Mr Chisela however said the association was disappointed at government selection of a consultant saying 3 months down the line a bank able document was not in place.

'' We expected a national carrier to be in place this year so that it helps in marketing Visit Zambia 2005 campaign but to no avail and the policy seems to be in conflict," he said.

Mr Chisela said the association was disturbed because of lack of political will surrounding the whole process.

He called on Government to ensure that a business plan is a workable document that will see a private sector driven national airline set up.

The Government recently concluded negotiations with selected bidder to come up with a business plan and a contract which was expected to be signed before the end of this year.

SIMBA KALI
30th Jan 2005, 23:06
As a Kenyan pilot, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth about working anywhere in Africa apart from my home base Nairobi. Its a sad tale but where you have an African running affairs especially a Zim, expect to leak his boot to get his spare change :}

Coleman Myers
31st Jan 2005, 11:09
Simba - Jambo - come home .... the flyings picking up !.

SIMBA KALI
31st Jan 2005, 13:53
Hello bwana Myers,
Is that right ? My good friend told me that they have been hiring since last year and had a group of 22 cadets to start off with. Not too bad. Am already have a 737 rating and am working on my first officer progarm wih some freight company out of miami. I will soon try and obtain 767 and 77 ratings. KQ from what I heard is that its tough to get in without enough arsenal especially if you don't have any "family" ties in there. Who do you work for at the moment? They talked of lay offs, does this affect pilots? And how sson are they looking to start Nairobi- Miami routes?

Coleman Myers
31st Jan 2005, 17:40
Habari Rafiki,

Not sure about KQ right now - I know one guy from ALS that got an interview in November, but have'nt heard if he is in yet. A Miami route would be handled by KLM I bet - US tourists are not exactly leaping to our beautiful country right now and I would imagine the average Kenyan gets quite a tough time in MIA Immigration so its hardly a winner - but maybe, hopefully ?.

Well done on your 73 ticket - have you had a look at REGIONAL ?. ALS get their QC back next year from the airline and with JUBA opening up I reckon they will start something solid between NBO and South Sudan. They also just got an ETHIOPIAN registered Dash 8 for the LOKI milk run - a step down for you but a job in the mother country maybe ?.Its such a shame to hear of a talented pilot not in the home market - I bet you a case of Tusker at the Aero Club that you would walk into KQ on merit !. Keep at getting the ratings and good luck !.

Kwa heri

Solid Rust Twotter
31st Jan 2005, 18:52
Ethiopian Dash-8? Wonder if it's the one that used to do the Alliance Express run EBB-NBO-Buj-KGL?

Coleman Myers
1st Feb 2005, 14:18
Wherever it came from its very sweet inside and out - a great plane to fly I am sure ?

SIMBA KALI
1st Feb 2005, 15:11
Asante sana,
Just thought of ALS , I heard they are steadily growing. Of course in kenya for starters , I will take any thing to keep me up to date. Kenya can at times prove to be very frustrating just like my two good friends there are. Came back from the good old U.S.A but have been tarmacking for the last two years trying to get a driver gig. The thing is , jobs are limited to who knows who in kenya especially with