PDA

View Full Version : Freighter Fleet FO

flywrite
18th Oct 2000, 07:43
Any words of advice (or warnings...like don't do it) for a future freighter fleet FO.

I was recently contacted by CX for an interview. They indicated that the position would be in the -400F in ANC. I've not been able to find current pay rates or interview prep material.

I need help. Thanks.

flywrite
18th Oct 2000, 11:49
never mind, after reading the threads, I'll pass on CX and the cheesecake.

goalie
18th Oct 2000, 13:49
Flywrite you are passing up a golden opportunity! I am hoping to get a job on the Freighter with Cathay Freight. Remember you get a full P-1 endorsement on the B747-400/200 depending on location and you have no bond whatsoever! It is against the law in Hong Kong to keep you on a bond, and you are told this as soon as you start ground-school. The money is not very good, and you work very hard, but in 18mnths you should have close to 1000hrs on widebody, with many opportunities in your home country.
I was told after a couple of years you can then move to the main operation of Cathay Pacific in Hong Kong, but this is not looking attractive anymore especially if you have family I'm told as they are really cutting back on the benifits (pay,house,school). You get 6weeks leave a year which is good, but I'm told you can't bid when you take it, and you still work your full month roster if you take leave.
Use it for what it's worth.
Hope to see you there!

BUSDRVR
19th Oct 2000, 08:04
FW, please come, get the job then get the rating then leave! its helps us all out, In fact you could make $$$$ living in HKG whilst sending out resumes to another company then pull the pin and go, sending a clear message to MGMT that the conditions and roster and pay are not industry standard.

As far as leaave, goes, bid over a year in advance for it, Not get what you want, Plan to go when it was alocated, and then have it canceled.!

flywrite
19th Oct 2000, 19:22
Upon further review, I'll attend the interview. Any words of advice for the interview? Thanks B-Driver and Goalie. Cheers.

nudger
20th Oct 2000, 09:21
Flywrite if you already fly "18- Wheelers" It doesn't sound like your endorsement shopping! What makes you think that its going to be any better here? I assure you it won't be!

The Prisoner
23rd Oct 2000, 06:53
Since when were cathay B sacle below industry averages? Quote me an airline (yeah, not united,etc) that pays more? Emirates, Virgin, Singapore, Ansett?? Come on, not many companies would take you Aussie turbo-prop guys onto a 747-400, even as a S/O.Can flying up and down the Goldcoast really qualify you for international flying? I think not.Accept the conditions, remember the tax in Oz, ahh, but you were on a real pittance then, though.

nudger
23rd Oct 2000, 09:55
To: The Prisoner

Get your facts straight before commenting on our B-scales!

We have done extensive research on the "industry standard" not just United but every major European carrier and North American carrier.

If you aspire to working for the lowest of the so called "basket of airlines" welcome to CX B-scales! Don't forget that Hong Kong is amongst the most expensive cities in the world to live.

That factored with the remainder of our conditions (retirement benefits, staff travel scheme, and medical plan to name but a few)puts CX B-scales BELOW INDUSTRY STANDARD!!

Liam Gallagher
23rd Oct 2000, 12:37
Prisoner,

Not sure where this thread is going. However, just so there is no confusion, the thread started out referring to positions on the Freight Fleet. The Freight Fleet are all based out of HKG and are paid Freighter pay scales which are less than B-Scales. CX has devoted considerable time and resources to ensure that the Freighter pay is in-line with what they perceive to be local base market renumeration.

B- Scale is by and large ex-pat pay and to compare ex-pat pay in HKG to what is paid in the person's home town is, in my humble opinion, folly. Bottom line becomes, whether you be a lawyer, accountant or pilot, what premium would you want to be paid to leave your hometown and stake your future career/family life/health/well being in HKG? Ask 3 people and get 4 different answers I would suggest.