PDA

View Full Version : Route to Falkland Islands

tyne
22nd Jan 2005, 07:22
Hi, I am shortly to fly to the Falklands with the RAF...Civvy contractor I understand either BMI or Air Luxor.

We will fly via Ascension Island.

Anyone know what route we will take?

Is it over Europe the N Africa then across to ASI?

Or trans Atlantic to South America then down the coast that way?

It'd just be kind of nice to know where I am in the world.

Thanks

Dan

Zurg
22nd Jan 2005, 10:59
I'm a bit out of date now but there were 2 routes.

North west France, across the bay of Biscay, down through Spain and Portugal, over Gran Canaria and then down the coast of NW Africa over Dakar and back to the ocean for Asi.

Otherwise over Lands end and off out to sea passing well to the west of the Canary islands and down to Ascension.

It is a few years since I last flew the route though! Hope that helps.

barry lloyd
22nd Jan 2005, 11:27
You'll more than likely go with Air Luxor, which has screens showing the flightpath, although they're not on all the time. Being a twin-engined aircraft, the A330 is an ETOPS operation, so the route takes you towards the coast of Portugal*, on to the Canaries, West Africa (the bulge), and then heads out into mid-Atlantic to reach Ascension.
From Ascension, it heads basically towards the east coat of S America (Brazil), and follows the coast at a distance until it reaches Argentine airspace, and then heads slightly eastwards towards the Falklands. Not a very technical description, and I'm sure someone else will come up with something more accurate, but at least it (hopefully) gives you a flavour of it.

* This is in case they have to make a refuelling stop - not unknown. Despite the name, the airline is Portuguese.

tyne
24th Jan 2005, 04:43
Thanks for your replies guys.

BEagle
24th Jan 2005, 07:46
But will it be the same without a choice of 'Black Rain', 'Chicken Run' or that Wayne and Waynetta movie on personal videoplayers with failing batteries - and that horrible 'Lamb Italian' in flight meal? Or breakfast served 3 hours before landing just when you'd finally managed to get some sleep?

The only bad point about detachments in the Malvinas was the journey down; with more modern a/c now being used, I understand that at least there's a much better chance of departing on time!

tyne
24th Jan 2005, 10:04
Leaving on time not a problem. With the Tristars I never acutally got there.

A/c went U/S at ASI, and I ended up coming home in a VC10.

Several days on a hot island, OK but got a bit boring in the end. I read all my books and drank more Castle Beer than was strictly necessary!

Got to say the RAF did a great job accomodating us and sorting those of us out who needed to get back to UK.

Very impressed.

Incidentally, just from an anorak point of view, I'd love to go on an Airbus flightdeck. Do the post 9/11 rules apply to this flight? I guess there's not a cat in hell's chance of having a quick chat with the people up front en-route?

barry lloyd
25th Jan 2005, 12:41
Wouldn't have thought so, but they can't kill you for asking (can they?). The fact that it's being operated for the MoD might weigh in your favour. At worst, you could probably get a quick visit in during the ASI stopover, or arrival in MPN. Not the same I know, but better than nothing!