PDA

View Full Version : R U Happy at KA?

The Scourge
13th Jan 2001, 13:49
Got an interview with KA. Been checking out the posts on this forum, seems to be a lot of unhappy campers at CX. Nothing much from the KA folks though.

Do I assume the lack of negative feedback means KA is good to work for.

Wouldnt mind a bit of info both positive and negative about how the pilots at KA feel about their conditions, contract, management and future prospects.

Thrust
14th Jan 2001, 16:34
Perhaps most of them are working too hard to frequent this forum! Just a thought.

Jaded
16th Jan 2001, 03:41
Ok;
Good people (pilots and cabin staff) to fly with. Very quick commands. No messing about as an S/O.
The house purchase scheme is great and the travel fund a real plus.
Generally the rest of the package is OK. Most people are content particulalry as they won't be in the RHS for long.
The flying runs ar about 750 hours a year. The destinations aren't exactly exotic.
Communication in the company isn't great and
the roster can be tedious. If it gets too tedious they pay overtime.
It's not an outfit that has a sense of identity, we just go to work. No one is pulling for the company, it's purely a matter of professional pride. That seems to sum up the feeling amongst a lot of the staff.
But if you poll the guys most of them would say it's the best deal around at the moment.
On paper it's hard to beat. It's a good job.

[This message has been edited by Jaded (edited 15 January 2001).]

Jaded
16th Jan 2001, 13:41
Try looking on the company website dragonair.com.
It has all the recruiting info.

Haggis
16th Jan 2001, 14:34
Jaded

Would you say their benefits package gives you an adequate lifestyle in HK. I have recently been for interview with them and although the package seemed good, I have not been to HK recently and don't have any idea on how much it would cost for for a house/apartment over there.

I am looking at the Freighter position initially with the option of moving when a Command becomes available.

Jaded
17th Jan 2001, 14:54
It's OK guys with large families struggle a bit at first.
Most people buy flats with the house purchase scheme by way of a provident fund or pension. The housing allowance is more than adequate rent wise.
Single guys or couples do quite well.
After a couple of years things seem to get on an even keel.

[This message has been edited by Jaded (edited 17 January 2001).]

Lewis
18th Jan 2001, 03:26
How many pilots are there at Dragonair? And how many of them are F/O's? How about flying with the local captains? Are they easy to deal with or are they just as difficult as the Korean locals?

Jaded
18th Jan 2001, 12:01
About 140. All of our locals are Gentlemen.
The only one that isn't is a Lady <g>
They are all very nice people and very professional.

shady
18th Jan 2001, 13:05
Dear Jaded,
Oh what a hypocrit you are. I took the time to do a little "search", thease are a few of your posts about KA from just 1 year ago:

"I have been in better organised flying clubs. Can I negotiate a new COO please?"

"All the fire and vim has left the Dragoair side of this forum because we are all dead beat"

"All in all its an airline without direction"

"At least in the beginning it was fun as we were treated as a bit of a joke"

"It's all 2 dimensional, a bit like a film set. Today Wuhan tomorrow the world."

"But the problems are many. Mostly communications/industrial"

Well, I guess someone must have used your pprune id, can this be the same person?!!

Oh, and new guys, please dont forget that the manadatory MPF is to be paid from your gratuity, so dont believe that it really will be 15% in your hand.

Jaded
18th Jan 2001, 16:40
Take the posts in context read the rest of the strings. You will see that they were posted in the middle of a very unpleasant period industrially and economically and many in reply to people who were winding up the line guys. You don't post love letters to the company in the middle of contract compliance.
Since then a lot of things have changed and people are in the main happier.
Also you will note that my views on communication have not changed nor have my views on the people I fly with.
The package is OK since the posts you lists we received a 9% payrise and improvement in other benefits. Communications are still poor.

[This message has been edited by Jaded (edited 18 January 2001).]

Staggers
18th Jan 2001, 17:54
Caveat emptor <grin>

Flap 5
18th Jan 2001, 23:54
Or could it just be that Jaded has progressed to management?

splutter_puff_bang
19th Jan 2001, 15:05
My first post about the company so hopefully it offers a fresh view.

The flying is challenging and rewarding, the pay and conditions are better than I could get in alot of other companies with prospects of quick commands and a good bunch of guys and girls to work with.

Some guys admit the biggest putoff is the busy roster but I haven't found it too bad and it does fluctuate a little.

All in all I'm pretty happy and I know there are worse places to be, but don't even bother if you hate HK.

Happy flying!

The Scourge
6th Feb 2001, 19:07
Thank you all,

Interview coming up soon, I'll give it my best shot and then try and get to HK before the second interview (if any) and have a look around.

Thanks for your help, any additional facts, gossip, rumour, or vile innuendo would be appreciated.

wishtobeapilot
7th Feb 2001, 09:14
Hi guys. It seems to me that all of you are already professional pilots. Would anyone know the chances of being selected for their cadet programme? What are their main requirements they look for? Would really like to join in your professional group. Any tips or ideas appreciated. Thanks

miffed@hk
7th Feb 2001, 12:12
Dear all

Think hard before you leave your domocile guys.This is china now.Things have changed in recent years! while the commands come quickly at present beware of what tommorow brings if the expansion slows!
Management are poor, rosters helish more often than not ,salary is managable if you dont have a family,gratuity reducing by the day with a penny pinching managemaent, house purchase scheme is a nice bonus if you have 300 000 oz(100 000ster)spare for the deposit!!
Chinese company with chinese communication!Only five local captains all of who are good peolpe.If your chinese wanting to return watch out for the local contract its basic without the frills so ask them for an expat one!

Speedrabbit
9th Feb 2001, 01:00
Can anyone tell me how many female pilots are there working for CX and Dragonair? And are they all direct entry? Thanks

The Scourge
4th Mar 2001, 11:03
Thank you all,

Had my interview, got the thumbs down, disappointed, but such is life,

Thanks again to those who provided considered replies to my post.

headset
5th Mar 2001, 02:07
Don't worry about being knocked back, it is a blessing in disguise!

All the posts here from Dragonair guys show what we have become working for this company.

It will be interesting to see what deal is offered to the guys that are acceptaed and what is said/promised, as no deal has been done with the Union, which is not a happy lot at the moment.

6 miles high
6th Mar 2001, 15:46
I have an interview with KA shortly, from the tone of the two strings regarding KA, the freighter setup seems a little nebulous. Anyone got any firm gen regarding conditions, package or where you are required to live.

Haggis
8th Mar 2001, 18:38
The freighter setup in MAN is well on the way. A friend of mine has been offered a position there and I have seen the contract in B&W - starting 1st June.

You can live anywhere you want as long as you turn up to fly out of MAN.

So it is real and it is happening.

recirc
8th Mar 2001, 23:25
Haggis, is your mate going to be a Capt, F/O, or F/Eng?

Amazon man
9th Mar 2001, 01:31
Haggis,

Any possibility of being put in touch with your mate who has secured the job with Dragonair Freight.

I have passed the first stage and any help/advice for the second stage would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

exaac
9th Mar 2001, 05:56
what sort of time span on average are these quick commands that are mentioned

Haggis
10th Mar 2001, 15:34
Recirc, answer to your question F.O.

Amazon man - send your email to [email protected] and he will be in touch.

[This message has been edited by Haggis (edited 10 March 2001).]

Amazon man
10th Mar 2001, 21:36
Haggis,

Many thanks for your help it is much appreciated.

What a wonderful invention the internet and PPRUNE is.