PDA

View Full Version : Logbook spreadsheet for OpenOffice.org

Pantryman
21st Jan 2005, 13:18
Hi,

I have been working on a 1.1080 compliant spreadsheet for my own personal use and would welcome any comments so I can improve it and make it more user-friendly.

It's on

http://www.flyinghours.com

Still in development, and currently only for Windows.

If you have created a spreadsheet as well and would like to post it or have additional functions that you could share, then please do.

I'm currently working on a macro to automatically calculate nighttime. It's almost done, but needs more tweaking.
Also trying to implement the USAF DAFIF airfield database so the logbook will be able to look up any airport in the world.
Not really simple though, as I'm still pretty green on macro and database programming...

Thanks for your input!

Cheers,

P.

dusk2dawn
23rd Jan 2005, 17:50
Seems to be a pretty well worked over spreadsheet, Pantryman. No need to be ashamed of your skills as macro-writer. I've had loads of trouble with the OO macro language.

Would you care to elaborate a little over how to acces the USAF DAFIF database ?
I can't find the page that would allow a lookup of an APT reference point only ?

Pantryman
24th Jan 2005, 16:56
Hi dusk2..

thanks a lot!

Actually, I'm waiting for a response from the USAF tech people since I really don't have time to find some logic in that data.
The structure is not really complicated but halfway through the files (it's compiled of several actually) there is a shift of index and I think it's more time effective to have the people who made it explain that to me instead of me trying to explain it to myself .. :)

The files are at

http://164.214.2.62/products/digitalaero/index.html

I just posted a new version of the logbook to my website.

It now allows for automatic import of older logs and has a really neat find function that I'm actually quite proud of ...:)

I keep testing it, just for the fun of it.

Also, I rewrote some of the macro's as they weren't polished enough.

Cheers,

M.

dusk2dawn
24th Jan 2005, 21:12
Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, the first thing I stumbled over was one of the DAFIF database readmes https://164.214.2.62/dafif/dafif_0501_ed7/readme.txt where you can read:
*** NOTICE: There is an initiative underway to remove all NGA aeronautical products from NGA aeronautical products from the public domain, effective 1 October 2005
Seems as it will be a short lived pleasure to get access....

Anyway, is there a function that one can enable to
a) accept IATA apt codes,
b) set type default to some_type,
c) set PiC default to NN,
d) propagate a total (leg) time to a predefined set of colums ?
e) set no of landings to 1 (one) night ldg ???
f) accept an time input as hhmm (without colon)

Keep it up :)

Pantryman
24th Jan 2005, 21:24
d2d,

that's exactly why I'm getting in gear for that database.. it would be a terrible waste to let that opportunity go by; There are few free databases around and this one is the only really usable and accurate one.

About your functions:

a) that's a good one, shouldn't be too hard
b) I will enable that in the next update, that's easy
c) what do you mean by that?? :)
d) do you mean block off-on -> SE/TOTAL/PIC for example?
e) could you explain that?
f) that's harder. Would require a separate input window and I'm trying to avoid that for now as it's not very easy to program.. don't know enough fr that yet but might come

Let me know what you mean for c , d and e.

M.

dusk2dawn
25th Jan 2005, 08:21
c) set PiC default to NN = I'm the boss, why should I write my name for each and every entry ?

d) propagate a total (leg) time to a predefined set of columns = JAR does not require logging of SE as a separate entry, only ME.
I always fly as PiC, at night, multiengine IFR and in a multi pilot crew. As it is now I have to enter 1:23, 1:23, 1:23, 1:23, 1:23 - my keyboard is very sensitive to repetitive strokes.

e) set no of landings to 1 (one) night ldg = JAR does not require logging of night T/O's so we forget about that, I don't make touch 'n goes (bounces don't count) and 90% of my work is between dusk to dawn :)

f) accept a time input as hhmm (without colon) = you already have an input check macro - now make it accept an input without colon and have it reformat the field as it likes.

Keep it up ! :O

Pantryman
25th Jan 2005, 10:19
aaahhh ofcourse, last night I wasn't very sharp sorry.

All those things are possible, I'm going to think about the easiest way to implement this.
My key issue is that I want to keep it intuitive. I have seen so many logbooks that just aren't made for my logic I guess.

The next couple of days I'm going to be away, but expect something in a week or so.

Thanks a lot for the input; as I'm still flying the small stuff it's good to hear the big-guys perspective.

Marinus.

piesupper
25th Jan 2005, 12:28
What features don't work in Linux?
It loads and seems to run OK on my SuSE9.2 system with OO1.1.4. I've cut n pasted a couple of pages from my own (very simple) logbook backup and it looks good. Cant see anything yet that is obviously broken. As a student PPL I'll need to add columns for SSAT time and Pilot Operating Capacity but thats no biggie.

What Linux testing do you need done? If you can supply some sample data I'm happy to test for you. My own 50 odd PuT hours round EGPK aren't likely to stress anything.

Excellent documentation btw

Pantryman
25th Jan 2005, 16:11
Hi Piesupper,

thanks! I haven't adjusted the manual for the new version yet but that's going to be something I'll work on this week.

I decided to add 'for windows' because of the directory name handling. All file read/write operations are based on windows URL handling. All that needs to be done really is a convert to linux URL's... this actually is a no-brainer but I decided to let that be for now for I have no time.

If you can look at this then please do; I have no access to a Linux system and my HD doesn't have enough room for a Linux partition ;) Otherwise I could test it myself.
Do you have StarBasic skills? If you could implement a linux URL conversion, the credit will be all yours.

Also, you're using logbook.sxc.. I just decided to rename to allow for version control so feel free to give the new flyinghours093.sxc a spin. I added a import function, but that should not work on Linux.
Ofcourse, you can still copy/paste everything.

It also has a find function that you can use to find anything in the logbook.

Cheers,

Marinus.

Pantryman
26th Jan 2005, 11:56
d2d,

http://www.flyinghours.com

At your service..

This works a lot better, I'm quite pleased with it myself..

The IATA codes are next, but that's not top priority..

Piesupper, I hope you like it too.
I'm going to try to come up with a linux workaround.
If you find the URL's work as is, then let me know.

version 094 build 2 now uploaded.

manual updated

M.

piesupper
26th Jan 2005, 19:44
Just in from work and grabbed 094. Looks good, looks very good. The set and save button works fine, the import function doesnt yet AFAICS.
I'll give it a bit more time later this evening

I have very little StarBasic skillz Im afraid, however I had a bit of a hunt about in the code last night and started to get to grips with it but I havent written anything worth incorporating yet.
Im busy till the weekend till I get time to look at it seriously again.
And if the weathers's good I'm going flying :-)

Still happy to stress test it with suitable chunky data.

Oh btw can we have >60 chars in the comments field?
Do you want me to pass this round the Glasgow Linux User Group so it can get tested on various different flavours ? Its our monthly meeting tomorrow and we have a few aviation-minded members who may enjoy playing with this.

Pantryman
26th Jan 2005, 21:03
Hi pie,

my name is Marinus by the way, gave up my privacy already through the license soooo..

I actually added a little more code and changed the protection on the setup sheet as it seemed to interfere with the 'current page' read-only window..
OO still has a couple of things that I don't understand.
The protection is now 'off' for the formulas and results.
But I still get erratic behaviour. Sometimes it gets updated, sometimes not...
If I use a normal cell, it always works regardless of protection.

Please, do pass it around. I'm really curious if it holds up in the other linux versions.
Funny thing is that I'm extracting a URL through a object called ThisComponent.
Now, as this is the basis for the URL and I'm only replacing dynamic filenames for the read/write operation so I think this is flexible enough for linux..

Would be nice.
Thanks for your help; I really look forward to the results of that test round and anything they can come up with.

How many characters do you want?
I can add as many as you like, but if I choose not to use a line break it will interfere with the layout if I go > 120.

Hmm, will think about it.

About stress testing:

maybe you could use a couple of profile presses, copy to clip and then back to generate a bunch of flights up to the absolute last page? This takes me about a minute on windows.
I'm curious how it holds on linux, as I find a large logbook is a little harsh on a PII.
This is because row 8 up to 10000 are pre-formatted to avoid invalid entries.

I am going to add build numbers for tweaks and versionnumbers when there is a real addition to the sheet.

Current build = 4.

Thank for your help,

Marinus.

Pantryman
26th Jan 2005, 22:20
Build 5:

* Tweaked the scrolling and cursor placement.

* Now you can only delete a flight, not the page separators..

* Repaired the 'current page in use' problem..

This works a lot smoother..

Marinus.

Pantryman
28th Jan 2005, 02:25
Build 6:

rewrote clipboard copy/paste macro; this solved error generated by incorrect handling of a full logbook/clipboard.

This was the last build. All bugs should be fixed.

Pantryman
6th Feb 2005, 16:10
Uploaded version 095..

some minor typo's corrected and improved load/save speed.

Also, get currency data for all makes, models and versions connected to one ICAO code (I.e. PA18 for PA-18, PA-19 etc...).

Marinus.

Pantryman
19th Apr 2005, 22:16
Hi!

I just posted version 0.97 Beta to my website.
Been in groundschool for a new type so I haven't had a lot of time lately.

Hope you like it.

Comments and bugs very welcome.

I'm going to try to add a Linux URL conversion this week, that's actually quite easy.

Marinus.

Pantryman
11th May 2005, 19:22
Added automatic nighttime calculation based on LAT/LONG data combined with a database covering all airports and heliports in the world, greatcircle route and civil twilight (sunangle in relation to the horizon).

Hope you like it!