PDA

View Full Version : Dragonair Freighter Pay/Conditions

2XL
12th Jan 2001, 19:27
Curious what the total package being offered by Dragonair on the 747's out of MAN. I've seen the ad in Flight saying £45 + benefits for FO's. What are the benefits. Are things like Super etc extra ?

What number of pilots are they looking for ?

Cpt Nil Further
15th Jan 2001, 01:15
Come on guys, someone out there must know. I have applied but would love to go to an interview with at least some ammunition. Any info. on interviews, routes, pensions, time away from home etc.....Many thanks in advance.

Jaded
15th Jan 2001, 13:24
Sorry we have no idea. There is a notice in our crew room inviting "expressions of interest" from current crews.
There is no mention of terms and conditions.
We'd love to know too but no information is forthcoming.

rollercoaster
17th Jan 2001, 14:12
I have an interview on 2nd Feb for F/O slot. Primarily I'm looking for a better quality of life (currently LHS 757 charter).

Would appreciate any info regarding:

Time to command
Routes
Days off in UK
Income tax position.

Many thanks in advance.

Jaded
17th Jan 2001, 14:58
Time off depends on the roster: usually busy.
Leave 6 weeks plus 8 days.
Time to command anyones guess min 2 years max 4.
Routes:
China mostly, Japan, Kinabalu (Malaysia) and Phuket with the odd Banagaldesh. OK but not exactly ":flying down to Rio"
Tax is basically 15% on salary and 15% on 10% of your housing if you rent.

Couldn't comment on how it would comparework wise.
HK lifestyle is definitely a bit more exotic.

[This message has been edited by Jaded (edited 17 January 2001).]

2XL
17th Jan 2001, 22:49
I must have rushed on the first reading of the Flight International ad and did not notice one small word. "Contract".

What is the significance of this? Are they 3-5 year renewable contracts on the B747? Are the pax pilots(A320/321/330) on "contracts" as well? Could somebody shed some light ? Any ideas Jaded?

[This message has been edited by 2XL (edited 17 January 2001).]

Jaded
18th Jan 2001, 12:03
Sorry can't help. The freighter is a mystery to all of us in that regard.

spannersatcx
19th Jan 2001, 01:38
Dragonair freighter will also be flying HKG-DXB-MAN-SPL. They will get 2 ex SIA combi's in service aroung August to October time.

Starting 4
19th Jan 2001, 11:37
Captain's will be hired on contract. Can't have direct entry captains taking the slots that should be available to those already on the list. Sound familiar???
Currently when the Atlas wet lease freighter flies to HKG it goes via AMS and DXB. Next route rumoured to be to KIX (then N. America???)

Cpt Nil Further
22nd Jan 2001, 17:51
Thanks guys, all info. warmly received. Will check back periodically for updates....

2XL
23rd Jan 2001, 00:28
I refer to my original post on 12 Jan, does anyone have any updates on "conditions" with the EGCC 747 Classic positions?

I appreciate there are plans for expansion etc, any ideas on time to Command?

penguin
25th Jan 2001, 04:19
Jaded:

Did you and I have a conversation about the US sterile cockpit rule (i.e., no small talk below 10,000')? Just wondering if you are the one that offered me the jumpseat to ZBAA.

jetblues
27th Jan 2001, 17:43
Has anyone heard if there will be crews based in Australia like AirHK/Cathay Cargo?

Has anyone heard any more news or had an interview yet?

Jaded
30th Jan 2001, 15:16
Hi Penguin
No not me.

penguin
31st Jan 2001, 22:04
Jaded:

Too bad it wasn't you. I was going to buy you a beer at the Lido Holiday Inn.

jetblues
2nd Feb 2001, 13:08
Whats the go people. I know there are heaps of punters being interviewed by the big dragon so whats the tips on the interviews?

Has anyone been offered an Australian base now or in the future? Are they permanent positions?

shady
4th Feb 2001, 12:55
The freighter will be a contract position, all though you will have seniority within Dragonair, starting at the bottom. The more senior "A" scalers are quite interested in the Manchester base, but the company wont let them have a bash at the moment.When that will be is anybodies guess,it all depends on how many guys they train to replace them on the Airbus fleets.But as the contracts come up for renewal, expect to make way for the current Dragonair boys.

The company are in negotiation with the pilots union, as pay and conditions are not yet finalised.Dont hold your breath, I expect the company to roll roughshot over the union, and inposethe "C" scale, with shortish contracts (3yrs).

rollercoaster
4th Feb 2001, 15:46
The interview>

Standard stuff. Guy from Flt Ops, lady from personnel, both very pleasant. Starts with a Dragonair freighter "briefing", then a "tell me about your career", Then a "why do you want to join Dragonair", then a "why should we employ you". A few technical questions thrown in, not particularly difficult questions, but they catch you unawaress. If successful there is "technical" interview followed by a sim ride, both at Gatwick.

The Job>
Based in Manch. Operating to Hong Kong via Amsterdam and Dubai. Slip in Hong Kong, then bullet to Shanghi, slip in Dubai on the way home. Left seat will be, in the main, BA retired. Out of base around 10 days per month. 15% per year gratuity, paid after 3 years service. They were a little vague about the income tax position, but they were quite clear that they wont be paying crews gross. Join the bottom of the Dragonair seniority list. Time to command estimated at 3 years. Quite possible that a command, when its offered, would be on the Airbus, based in HK.

2XL
8th Feb 2001, 10:45
How many of you got offered a choice of 747-200 at MAN or 320/330 at HKG? This seems to have been a common conversation point. It looks like the life on the 747 at MAN would only be until they could convince you to move to HKG?

headset
10th Feb 2001, 11:53
Dragonair Pilot's Association website.

Information on freighter and mainline employment appears in the notices section.

Makes interesting reading!!

headset
10th Feb 2001, 11:58
oooppps!

try this....

www.flying.to/dpa (http://www.flying.to/dpa)