PDA

View Full Version : Contract flying

VanderVlietm
21st Jan 2005, 10:57
Hi there,

I am just coming up to my second season flying in the Okavango swamps and considering my future plans. Contract work, aid work has always interested me. Is it hard to find that kind of work at the moment?

Having real problems just trying find some charter companys that operate over those darkest places of africa. Any one who could give me a few names that I could check out would be greatly appreciated. Would it be worth getting hold of a C208 rating or PC-12 rating?

Thanks,

Mike

tongwe
21st Jan 2005, 11:12
It will help to have an initial turbine and some twin time for contract work. Mike the problem is that the contracts are few and far between. One out fit is taking children at $50 a day and conditions are not pleasant. If thats your thing, lurk around Lanseria for the day and I am sure you will find them.

Stay in swamps for another 2 seasons minimum, get above the 1000 - 1500 mark, write ATP and doors creek. Don't open but creek is good.

VanderVlietm
21st Jan 2005, 11:18
Thanks Tongwe,

Have got 1200hrs tt mostly on the C206 and wanting to move on two twin or single engine turbine. Would love to find work flying PC-12's or C208's to get some initial turbine time up.

Do you know if federal air have much work going on contracts?

Cheers,

tongwe
21st Jan 2005, 11:23
King Air Services have space if you pay for your conversion, but Federal is tight. They are doing Ok but times are tough here. You might also want to gaze west to Windhoek. I heard that Bay Air may be looking for 406 drivers for their night freight ops to JHB and back. can't confirm, but let me know.

VanderVlietm
21st Jan 2005, 11:25
Cheers mate,

Could you tell me a little more about King Air Services? How much would i be looking at for a King Air rating? Where do they operate? Do you have some contact details for them?

Thanks for your help,

Mike

Gooneybird
21st Jan 2005, 17:14
A small fortune. Check out Foster Aero.
BTW King Air Services used to mostly operate C208s on contract.
Are you from Zim?

VanderVlietm
22nd Jan 2005, 08:23
Nope not from Zim gooney bird,

Anyone know where King Air Services operate from? There contact details?

Cheers,

Mike

Gooneybird
22nd Jan 2005, 11:33
Try calling Lanseria airport, which is where their sister company King Air Charters used to be based.
Ask if they have a forwarding number.
BTW this is Foster Aero's training page complete with prices:
http://www.fosteraero.co.za/training.htm
They also may be able to help you locate King Air Services.
Alot of the contract companies handle their own conversions but King Air Services don't (didn't use to)for the initial turbine. Also, getting CRM and dangerous goods certificates may help.
Good luck.

Bravo190
22nd Jan 2005, 11:40
email them at [email protected] for details, they were looking for guy's end of last year.

Kernel
23rd Jan 2005, 09:23
King Air Charter +2711 701 3288

It helps to be already type rated on a C208 before dropping a CV, a P2 will need about 300 TT and after doing a few tours and getting the time up to about 1500TT your command will be considered.

masseygrad
26th Jan 2005, 18:14
Just to change the topic slightly....

Does anyone have any infomation/insights on the likely impact that the Asia Tsunami will have on contract flying in Africa this year?

2005 was supposed to be the year that the world would focused on the problems in Africa. I.e. lots of contract flying for aid NGOs, aid agencies etc.

But now so much money has been diverted to Tsunami relief.

Are there any contract operators that have already felt the pinch or had contracts cancelled?

fireitup
29th Jan 2005, 12:45
vandervlietm...

KAS just taken 6 new crew on C208 and BE20...but are always looking. 1200HRS in the swamps is the time that a lot of the co-jo's joined, so you'd have a good chance.

Great company to work for, rating about 5K depending on vans available down there. main operation in Kuktoom,Sudan but A/C in Kabul and Kin****ehol.

Office in Lanseria, top floor to the left.

www.kingair.co.za

Fire:}

P.S masseygrad...all aid will continue to africa, oxfam stopped it's tsunami appeal in the last couple of days at 70mil pounds and are hoping to continue to raise the same amount for africa. The limelight has shifted from Africa but the problems will be here for years to come and contracts will continue, just depends who get them.