PDA

View Full Version : Using £ sign on PPRuNe

WHBM
20th Jan 2005, 16:51
Why when I post on PPRuNe with a £ sign does it come out as a £ ??

BUT when I went in just now and edited the umlaut-e to a pound sign again it came out properly ! And going in to edit again I see the edited sign was replaced with an ampersand-pound statement. But not the original.

For those needing an explanation this is a UK pound sign (shift-3) being typed on a UK keyboard to a website with a UK server.

Keef
20th Jan 2005, 16:56
Looks just like a £ to me. Not a €.
But I have the UK character set enabled.

WHBM
20th Jan 2005, 17:01
To explain

1 £
2 £

1 was entered as a UK pound symbol and is unedited. I now see e-umlaut for this

2 was entered the same but then edited back to a pound symbol again.

On going in to edit for a second time 1 is still e-umlaut (the same as I see when viewing the post) but 2 was changed by the software to ampersand-word "pound"-semicolon, which views on the post correctly as a pound sign.

Keef's two characters are showing as an e-umlaut and a hyphen respectively.

UK character set here too. Internet Explorer 6.0.

Background Noise
20th Jan 2005, 17:21
It seems to be you WHBM - I see all pounds and a euro from keef.

I do know that if I select view, encoding and some area other than Western European I get strange characters. Don't know if that will help?

PPRuNe Pop
20th Jan 2005, 17:33
Suggest you go into Control Panel and then 'Regional and Language Options' and then 'Customize' - there you will find all you want to change to whatever.

WHBM
20th Jan 2005, 17:59
Thanks for the comments chaps; regional and language settings is showing a pound sign quite correctly. I'll do some more investigating with our tech guy.