PDA

View Full Version : Delta diversion to NCE when ZRH/ATL - why NCE?

Zones
20th Jan 2005, 12:10
From www.justplanes.com:

Delta flight diverts to Nice Jan 20
Delta Air Lines flight DL067, a Boeing 767-300ER (N174DN) en route from Zurich to Atlanta was forced to dump fuel over the Med on Wednesday before diverting to Nice Airport following a fuel leak.

Not a big deal, I agree - but why NCE, when flying ZRH->ATL? Not exactly en route is it? Anyone know the details?
Just curious.
Thks in advance.

The Greaser
20th Jan 2005, 12:33
Maybe Paris didnt want an aircraft leaking fuel all over its airport, also ATC strikes planned for today in France, maybe this played a part. Nice is after all a Delta destination too.

None
20th Jan 2005, 14:04
Have you taken a look at the NAT structure for Wed? I flew Frankfurt to JFK on Tuesday, and all of the tracks were way south. I imagine it was the same yesterday.

Flightmech
20th Jan 2005, 14:21
I,m not sure if this is linked but last night our Mad-Dod freighters to MEM out of CDG and FRA were both late as they needed revised flight plans to avoid Brest airspace due to an ATC strike. As a ground engineer i,m not sure if this is linked at all but may offer some explanation??

slingsby
20th Jan 2005, 14:58
Sorry, nothing dramatic, a lot of French services (public and private) were and have been on strike the past couple of days, so it's logical to go where the eng. guys are working.

Also it could have to do with fuel dump areas, the French may not have been too happy with 40T or more fuel being dumped over populated areas (i know it evaporates b4 anyone says anything) so if dumping over the sea would mean a logical diversion to NCE

PondLifeMan
20th Jan 2005, 16:21
Hi,

I think that Delta flys into NCE a couple of times a week... At least they used to when I worked there a couple of years ago...

Anyway, I guess it would make sense to divert to a station that you normally operate to.

PLM

abra
21st Jan 2005, 07:32
Good choice..where would you prefer to get stuck?...Zurich?I'd choose Nice anyday.

Zones
21st Jan 2005, 08:16
I realise DL flies to NCE, but I would have thought it wasn't as well set up eng. wise. -> thought somewhere like FRA or LGW would have been more capable of dealing with the trouble as they would surely have more staff / facilities / spares due to higher frequencies....

I'm not opertaional, so didn't realise NAT system was south about currently, but even still NCE is a fair way south from ZRH, even if their initial heading was westerly over France, but then again they did have a lot to burn off & dump. And I guess dumping over the Med might be a Frenchy quirk...

As I said, no big deal, just curious as I thought it slightly odd...

squeaker
24th Jan 2005, 09:14
There is a perfectly simple explanation:
Capt looks at map display and says "Well, we'd best divert, I guess, where the hell is LFMN?"
F/O looks it up and says "erm, that would be...Nice!"

Well, you know what they're like at pronunciation!

Basic T
24th Jan 2005, 12:11
Thought about the fact that Delta fly from NCE to ATL as well? , maybe transfer of pax on that flight to let them continue their journey, saves an already hugh hotel-bill. By the way, I don't know what happend to them but I saw the aircraft this morning parked at NCE missing engine 2 and a new engine next to it ready to be mounted.

:D

The Greaser
24th Jan 2005, 12:33
Delta don't fly NCE-ATL so that scuppers that thought! Their only route from Nice is JFK.

Eva San
24th Jan 2005, 12:57
I'm not opertaional, so didn't realise NAT system was south about currently, but even still NCE is a fair way south from ZRH, even if their initial heading was westerly over France, but then again they did have a lot to burn off & dump. And I guess dumping over the Med might be a Frenchy quirk...

Sorry, but dumping over the Med is not a french quirk ! In that case that was an american one... as the pilot did not advise ATC that he was dumping fuel :uhoh: or the leak was so important that it looked like dumping :ugh:

Basic T
25th Jan 2005, 12:54
Apologies greaser, my mistake they indeed only fly to JFK.
That screws up that idea.....

:O

JW411
25th Jan 2005, 16:30
I would have thought that the answer was pretty obvious. Any engine shut down or major problem on a 2-engine aircraft calls for a landing at the nearest suitable airfield.

Assuming that they were on a southern track and were out of the hills when the problem occured, then Nice, at close to sea level, would be an excellent option.

I cannot believe that anyone in their right mind would head back into the Alps on one engine! Even if they were that stupid, their licences would be pulled before they hit the ground!

I freely admit that I might be out of date having only flown 4-engine aircraft for the last 42 years (apart from 8 years on 3-holers).

The Greaser
25th Jan 2005, 17:00
A DL 767 is still in NCE having work done on it on a remote stand. Saw it in the snow today.

JW411
25th Jan 2005, 17:50
The Greaser:

I can't understand what your last post has to do with the discussion.

The question was "why did Delta land at Nice" and some folks have tried to answer the question.

If the fact that the Delta 767 is still on the ground at Nice is of world-shattering importance then maybe you should start another thread such as "Delta's inability to do a rapid engine change".

Alternatively the whole thread should be moved to Spotters Corner for it has no place here! (It is no longer News or a Rumour).