PDA

View Full Version : Qantas Rubs Salt Into Virgins Wounds

TIMMEEEE
20th Jan 2005, 07:37
From the ABC newsroom:

Qantas rubs salt into Virgin's wounds
5:57 PM January 20

Qantas stock has gained ground after the airline declared its full-year profits will beat last year's result.

The comments came a day after Virgin Blue warned that its full-year profit would drop as much as 15 per cent.

Qantas shares advanced after the nation's dominant airline said 2005 profit would exceed last year's pre-tax profit of $964.6 million.

The stock ended the day five cents ahead at $3.56, a rise of 1.4 per cent.

The managing director of the Centre for Asia Pacific Aviation, Peter Harbison, says Qantas has trumped rival Virgin Blue, which yesterday issued a profit warning.

"It's a nice little dig or rubbing salt into the wounds of Virgin Blue after yesterday, but also more seriously to assuage any concerns of the markets that Qantas's performance has decreased," he said.

The airline is due to report full year earnings next month.

Source: ABC

Beer Can Dreaming
20th Jan 2005, 21:28
Timmmeee.

Whats the go with breaking news recently?
First VB shares nosediving and now this.
Yiou trying to put Wirraway out of a job?

Super Cecil
20th Jan 2005, 21:34
Quaintarse has more people to sack and make the bottom line look good.:(

Beer Can Dreaming
20th Jan 2005, 21:41
Very true Cecil but the way they do it is to take a leaf out of the book of other so called airline gurus.

They "sack" staff but re-employ them as contractors on reduced wages and without all the frills that go with a full time job.

Watch aircraft cleaners, baggage handlers, check-in staff first.

Hell, even Cathay Pacific set up their engineers in HAECO (a seperate company).
QF could do the same and maybe call them "QES - Qantas engineering services".
It would not be a direct part of Qantas as such but would have their own budget etc.

I believe even Ansett in its dying years had part time Flight Attendants employed by another company.

Watch this space!

DJ737
22nd Jan 2005, 07:49
Ho Hum...

It doesn't actually matter that DJ may not be doing that great in OTP stats at the moment, that the stats are published are good enough, that is all DJ wanted, nothing else, i can't recall DJ saying they were going to be on top of the OTP all the time....

Anyway the roo is well and truly rooted, soon there will be two domestic airlines again JQ & DJ with AO operating the international routes along with either DJ (P) or SQ.

QANTAS will only be a holding company for Jetstar, Australian, Jet Connect & Jetstar Asia.

Time to look at the cold, hard facts guys & gals, "The light at the end of tunnel has been switched off" :E

Time to move on and stop living (or trying to preserve) the past.

I wish all good luck in the future, you are gonna need it. (Not that there is much of a future anyway)

DJ737

The Roo Rooter :E :ok:

schnauzer
22nd Jan 2005, 09:05
DJ, I have generally found your posts to be reasonable, but that one is really poor.

You might just have said "Yair well, we're farked but so are you. So nah nah ne nah nah!"

Very childish, mate.

The Enema Bandit
22nd Jan 2005, 09:38
DJ737, you're a twit. You have no credibility, look at your previous comments on pay. You seemed to like undercutting other peoples pay. Personally I don't give two hoots about Qantas nor Virgin, so long as they keep employing people, that's all I care about.
I hope your mentality doesn't reflect on your fellow workmates.And do us a favour too. Get rid of that stupid signature. I keep getting these horrible visions of you chock a block up the rear end of a kangaroo!

Mr.Buzzy
22nd Jan 2005, 09:44
Personally I don't give two hoots about Qantas nor Virgin, so long as they keep employing people, that's all I care about

Never truer words spoken in todays climate!

bbbbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzbbbbzbzbzbzzzz

DJ737
22nd Jan 2005, 09:57
You might just have said "Yair well, we're farked but so are you. So nah nah ne nah nah!"

That's what i mean't to say, but i'm a person of few words:p

DJ737

The Roo Rooter :E :ok:

(I happen to like my signature, even if you don't)

neville_nobody
25th Jan 2005, 04:09
DJ737 might have to change his tag soon as its the Roo that's doing most of the rooting at the moment. Pity those who bought Virgin shares at float. What a disaster!!

Three Bars
25th Jan 2005, 05:06
Maybe QF/J* should now be called the Virgin rooters

:E :E :} :}

hoss
25th Jan 2005, 06:55
Buster Hyman has beat you to it:ok: .

Kornholio
25th Jan 2005, 12:57
Careful......... he'll go insane in the old membrane......http://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/angryoldman.gif

Enema bandito who are pointing your bone at??? How do you think the rest of us feel trying hard not to visualise you with an enema hose fed up your coit and a big satisfied smile on ya dial??? :yuk:

Good to see the national carrier doing well. Some people won't be happy until Qantarse is doing a "Delta". Or worse..... being bailed out like the sheep-shaggers were not long ago.

Virgin have to accept they are the blow-ins. They pushed thir way in at the expense of an incumbent and NO ONE likes them. Except the ugg-booted ferals they haul around.

Facts are facts.

:hmm:

:bored:

:*

:zzz:

Mr.Buzzy
25th Jan 2005, 17:47
NO ONE likes them. Except the ugg-booted ferals they haul around.

Hey Kornhole,
read the other threads in this forum and tell us all who is not liked and who is providing the "happy camp".
Jealousy is such an ugly look!.....hhahahaaahah

bbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzbbbzbzbzzzzzzzzz