PDA

View Full Version : Saving default .. er.. Default saving ..er ..

sprocket
20th Jan 2005, 01:24
The title, although perhaps not clear, does reflect the frustration I have when searching for a help topic in Windows to help me with computer adjustments etc.

Maybe someone can direct me to the default setting in my computer that I can change when saving a file to the hard drive?

Usually when I hit the save button for virtually anything, the "My Documents" (Drive C) list comes up as the first choice. I then have to find my way through the maze of folders/file trees to get the item saved where I want it to be saved.
My HD is partitioned as Drives C and F.

The Question is: How can I get the save window to default to a folder in drive F, instead of My Documents in C drive?

I am running XP Home, MS office, IE6 etc

Loose rivets
20th Jan 2005, 06:11
Surely, the options to save in a certain location, are part of the application not the operating system. Not much help cos I use word perfect, but from the WP toolbar, this is --- tools, settings, files.

gizmocat
20th Jan 2005, 07:15
Hi Sprocket,

In Word, select Tools>Options>then the "File Locations" tab. Highlight "Documents" (Top of the list) and click the "Modify" button on the right under the list. Navigate to your new default folder and click "OK". Try to save a new document, and it should automatically go to your new location first.

Bests
Martin

sprocket
20th Jan 2005, 08:00
Thanks for the hints.

I have now managed to change the Word default save setting, but it only works for Word ...... when I try to save from Explorer or IE it still defaults to the My Documents folder in drive C. :sad:

willby
20th Jan 2005, 16:28
Hi Sproket,
In IE click on "File" ( top Left corner). From the drop down menu select " Save As" ( not "Save") and from the drop down menu you will be able to choose any target you like.
Willby

Bre901
20th Jan 2005, 16:38
sprocket
Looks like another feature in IE :* :yuk: :*

Firefox defaults to the last folder into which you saved, which makes some sense, another reason (if needed) to dump IE

willby

RTFQ, what sprocket wants is to change the default folder.

ZH875
20th Jan 2005, 18:31
By default, Windows opens My Documents when you press "Save As" within a MS application. Here is a tip to change that location to whatever directory you want, including a network share or mapped drive.

1. Open REGEDIT and browse to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ Explorer\User Shell Folders Edit the string value "Personal" and change the data to whatever directory or other location you want. No special syntax is needed.
3. Now press the F5 key to refresh. If that did not work, close all open programs and hit F5 again.

This will work for most MS applications (i.e. Office Suite), including Windows itself with a few exceptions (Internet Explorer has to be changed through its own registry key.)

rotorcraig
20th Jan 2005, 18:44
... or move your "My Documents" folder to your F: drive if that's the larger drive and you're trying to keep C: for System and Programs.

Right click "My Documents", then "Properties" and "Move..."

RC

sprocket
21st Jan 2005, 01:48
I avoided directly changing my registry (due to ability to understand that area of the PC), but I moved My Documents folder as suggested by rotorcraig.

For some reason copies were made of some of my folders already in F drive and it became a tad confusing as to what was going on. I decided to restore back to the MS default setting but in the process My Documents vacuumed up everything already in F drive and took it all with it to C drive. (Almost put the hard drive out of balance) :=

Panic set in and I moved My Documents back to F drive. I then proceeded to delete the extra copies and left it at that. I think it’s working as advertised now.

Thanks for the input people.