PDA

View Full Version : Remaining focused & motivated after training.

flystudent
19th Jan 2005, 22:19
Hi All

I wonder if I could ask a relatively simple question regarding life after you get your fATPL ? The question is.....

"How the heck do you stay Motivated when looking for work?" I haven't been out long now, only a few months and I appreciate that's nothing compared to some others.

I was warned this would be the toughest bit of my training and without doubt it most certainly is, however the drive that I have been trying to maintain is slowly wearing thin. Any tips/advice would be appreciated from persons who have been in these shoes.

FS:bored:

MVE
19th Jan 2005, 22:28
Try instructing. Keeps you in current practise and builds your experience and try hiring a sim for a bit of practise and I'm sure you will re-kindle your enthuisiasm!

orangesky
19th Jan 2005, 23:29
instructing is a good suggestion from MVE, but may not necessarily suit your current situation.

i think we all experienced what you are describing, my suggestion would be try networking as best you can, with your peers and other people you meet along the way ..... what also helped me was a quick trip to EGLL, standing at the end of 27L and smelling the A1 and they thunder overhead - NICE :cool: .... you dont even need to wear your favourite anorak ;)

good luck

sk4644
20th Jan 2005, 10:06
Flystudent, I understand where you are coming from, I am in the same situation as you and have stopped getting excited when a new email arrives or the postman knocks!

If you are near your training school then take time to go and see them for a chat, it just renews the enthusiasm to go and send another batch of letters.... We just have to keep going and revising as you never know when that interview will come.....

haughtney1
20th Jan 2005, 10:39
I have to agree with orangesky...watchin the big boys operate very very motivating, it is however important to try and keep current.....beg, steal, or borrow the chance to keep yourself active...you will be surprised that plenty of GA operations value enthusiasm almost as much as experience......get in the car....moped....mountain bike etc....and knock on a few doors, again you will be motivated when you get a positive response like "oh yeah we might need a pilot in a month or two".....get out there and do it!

My 10 pence worth :)

flystudent
20th Jan 2005, 11:40
Many Thanks all for the replies thus far

Since finishing I have been

[list=1]
Studying tech subjects
Flying on MS Flight sim to keep scan up to speed
doing 1-1.5 hours a month in 737 sim as Pilot Flying and 1 as PNF
sending letters
[/list=1] The problem is I can't keep throwing money at the sim (the most expensive bit) as it costs the best part of £200 for an hour ontop of the course fees one has already paid.

I said I'd give myself till end of January and if nothing by then I will have to commit to going back to work, 1 for money and 2 becasue I'm going insane being at home.

I like the idea of actually going and doing some big plane spotting, see if I can get as close as possible and get myself caught up in wake vortex :eek: like in that film about the ATC'ers (Joke obviously:))

FS

topunicyclist
20th Jan 2005, 12:06
was wondering what else people do apart from instruct in the period between completing training and starting a flying job, e.g.

(i) temporary work in some unrelated field (e.g. white van driving);
(ii) returning to their profession if they had one before starting flying training that is unrelated to air transport;
(iii) seeking work for an airline as a way of "getting a foot in the door" (e.g. operations, marketing);
(iv) seeking work in aviation in some other capacity (e.g. an airport operator, ground servicesagent etc).

As I've recently completed my IR and have yet to do my MCC, I am not in a state of despair yet, but can understand people who may are in that situation.

jamestkirk
20th Jan 2005, 12:39
I know how you feel I am in the same rocky boat.

I went round my local airfield yesterday and asked the schools if they would ley me put a poster up saying 'need a competant observer/safety pilot' (FOR FREE) just to get some flying in.

All asked me if i had an instructor rating. I am banking on the view that i may need to borrow money for a type rating. Or should i borrow money for a FIR and hope that I will get a job where my TR is paid for.

It's like having a bad case of piles every day, all day!

My opinion is try not and too depressed as you will just 'add insult to injury'.

Only job prospect of the week:

I auditioned for a part as a Military Policeman in an Army training video. £150 for a days filming.

How much farther from an aviation job can i get.

Stiff upper lip and all that

JTK

RowleyUK
20th Jan 2005, 12:58
J Kirk...

Im in exactly the same situation!!

Dont really know what to do!!

For the rercord i work in a ground ops type job......I need more hours desperately but cant afford and FI rating!!!

buzzc152
20th Jan 2005, 12:59
I've returnd to banking after gaining CPL/MEIR (actually i never really left it) to save up for an FiC.

It's depressing. In fact, just TODAY I have received 2 'thanks but no thanks' letters from airlines.

Don't give up, you'll get your big chance one day (but get a job in the meantime you bum !!;) .

EGAC_Ramper
20th Jan 2005, 13:27
Just to add guys I've known a guy who left after completing his CPL/ME/IR over a year ago,then over the new year there he all of a sudden got 2 job offers!!:D Lucky beggar,hope to follow in his footsteps so keep trying guys and don't give up!

Regards:ok:

flystudent
20th Jan 2005, 13:55
topunicyclist

you hit the nail on the head, with your options, to cut n paste

(i) temporary work in some unrelated field (e.g. white van driving);
(ii) returning to their profession if they had one before starting flying training that is unrelated to air transport;
(iii) seeking work for an airline as a way of "getting a foot in the door" (e.g. operations, marketing);
(iv) seeking work in aviation in some other capacity (e.g. an airport operator, ground servicesagent etc).

Financially I see all options as very similar, they will generate revenue and pay towards keeping current, e.g. sims, MEP, IR, medicals etc and one has to find time to keep studying also when not working.

(iii) & (iv) very similar also - This is something i was looking at today, various jobs on company websites, from ops, to cabin crew to head office admin staff. Again remembering to find time to study and keep current.

Pros & Cons of each.

Pro's of both - money comes in, I'm a person of principle and since finishing I havent claimed Job Seekers, I promised myself I'd never do that.

Cons of (i) & (ii) less time to keep up to date with everything going on especially as not working in the aviation sector (other than a peak at prune from the office, lol)

Pros (iii) & (iv) Obviosuly getting that foot in the door could make all the difference when said airline comes round to recruiting, and the ear is a bit more to the ground

con (possibly, I dont know) If you were established in a position with an airline (not as a pilot) would it be easy to get out of that position with the airline i.e. would it cause them more stress to let you go (assuming you are very good at the job you do for them) so they have to hire someone else.

Another thought would be the tact if going for iii or iv -

Q, So then I see you are a qualified pilot why do you want to work here ?
A, (truth) becasue I see it as a possible way to become a pilot
A, (Fiction) Well this is something that has always interested me and will give me a better understanding of what is involved in aviation rather than just from the pilots prospective.

Obviosuly I think either way from a CV they know what your goal would be and are you just messing them around by using them as a stepping stone, if they are looking for an "employee" rather than someone for the short term would it really suit them ?

Any thoughts welcome, especially people who have the T shirt.

FS

ritchyh
20th Jan 2005, 16:13
Hi Flystudent

I am in the same situation as you at the moment. i Just have a quick question. Where do you hire the 737 sim?

Thanks
Ritchyh

P.S. Just got a rejection from Astraeus as i was half way through this reply:(

Craggenmore
20th Jan 2005, 17:38
Why not get a job as a ramp agent at Heathrow, then you can kill 2 birds with one stone by watching planes and actually getting your hands on them too!

It might look good on your CV and you will certainly experience another side of commercial aviation which will make you (1.) better informed and (2.) will give you certain ammunition in an interview over someone in the same position as you who has simply retreated into their old job.

Keep at it...

Craggs

lscajp
20th Jan 2005, 20:44
flystudent

where did you do yout training?

flystudent
20th Jan 2005, 21:04
Hi lscajp

Where I undertook my training really isnt relevant - This topic as I understand is something that nearly everyone I speak to goes through at some point after their training (integrated, modular cabair, Oxford , Jerez, etc etc), to land straight into a job and not experience them I would imagine to be extremely rare. I keep reminding myself about the whole cycle of things throughout the year too, that the airline industry like others has quiet and busy seasons in terms of recruitment. I fully expect to have work as a pilot soon and some of the ideas on here today have helped to re-motivate me, (thanks all :ok: ). So it's onwards and upwards from here on. I think 6 months from my finish date I will be be moving big throttle quadrants around :-) I'll let ya know

FS:ok: :D

edited as initially perhaps sounded a little rude.

topunicyclist
20th Jan 2005, 23:54
The following comment is directed solely at him who trained at the same establishment as me and will be fully aware who he is: was the reference re getting a job directed at me by chance? I have a full time job which is being a "Professional Flying Job Seeking Operative". Seriously though, I will try and get some temp work after the MCC next month to take my mind off wedding planning :bored: :yuk:

Interesting replies. I was looking on the BALPA members area on the airline factsheet and one very small outfit (they have one aircaft) specifically states that they do not offer ground-based positions as a way of getting a flying job with them!

In my situation, options (ii) and (iv) are one and the same as I used to work in aviation (but not for an airline). I am therefore interested (albeit vaguely) in non-airline but aviation related jobs but fear the ineviatble question (see flystudent's post above): "I see from your CV that you have your ATPL. Why do you want this job then?" Another poss answer could be: "Opportunities for newly-qualified pilots are poor at the moment blah blah blah".

buzzc152
21st Jan 2005, 10:56
Actaully, is was directed at the post originator, but it applies doubly to you, as you definately are a bum (and a wind up artist...... I believed you when you said you were being head hunted by Virgin..... grrrrr, I'll get my own back).

:D

jamestkirk
21st Jan 2005, 14:10
Trying to get dispatch job.

A friend of mine said he might get me a position at LGW although this seems to be fading.

GOOD NEWS THOUGH

I got that acting part for the Army training video and its actually £300 for a days filming.

How many hours flying as an instructor would i have to do to earn that.

flystudent
21st Jan 2005, 15:47
I'm thinking shy of something in aviation, something in Customer services may be the ticket, working with Jo Public rather than a better paid office Job.

e.g. Bar Work, not very well paid, but sociable job. What do you think ?

As for the Flying Instructor side of things, I really dont think I can part with the money for that when I am of the impression I'm going to have to pay for a type rating too.

FS
:p