PDA

View Full Version : UK CAA - appealing a decision

Martin1234
19th Jan 2005, 18:08
To say the least, I'm pretty unhappy with how the UK CAA interprets the JAR-FCL. Can anyone give me a clue of the procedure to appeal a decision?

Blinkz
19th Jan 2005, 19:02
Not sure about the exact appeal process but if you talk abit more about your problem we may be able to give advise on that. I've found the CAA on the whole to be pretty reasonable.

Martin1234
19th Jan 2005, 19:30
I was partly training in another JAA state and got a statement from the UK CAA that they will recognize valid ATPL theoretical passes made in that other state.

Now, 9 subjects later, the UK CAA won't recognize my passes due to 1.485 (all examinations are to be done in one JAA state).

I can, according to the UK CAA, only transfer the exams if I complete all 14 exams. This is not really an option since I won't have any use for POF(A), Performance etc since I intend to apply only for a helicopter certificate.

This case should provide for exceptional circumstances since I otherwise need to re-take those exams I already passed. I suspect that the UK CAA haven't given me an impartial judgement. This is due to the strong opposition of the UK "interim arrangement" from the other JAA state involved. Naturally, the UK CAA don't want to deterioate the relationships to other JAA states. If my case is tried outside of the CAA house those tacit elements would likely be of less importance.

RVR800
20th Jan 2005, 08:33
JAR is obsessed with airline pilots (fixed wing) and pays
much less attention to Helicopters and light aircraft.
The light aircraft instrument rating has few takers within
the PPL community having less then 25/year out of 30,000
pilots successfully passsing (most go on to get ATPLs)

They have also split up the theory for CPL and IR subjects,
The two exams have many many overlaps. So many in fact
that the total number of exams for an CPL/IR exceeds that
for an ATPL! Well that is according to the JAA website anyway.

They also love to expire the exams as that forces you
to spend your money quickly... If you dont then you will
have to re-pass those exams... Its good for cash flow....

No wonder they call them the Campaign to Abolish
Aviation... (CAA)

They probably just want your money for all 14.....

:rolleyes: