PDA

View Full Version : Ted Crispin (Royal Navy)

mustfly1
19th Jan 2005, 15:32
From the Royal Navy Aircrewmans Association:-

We regret to announce that Ted Crispin passed away on 18th January 2005 at the Countess Mountbatten Hospice in Southampton.

Ted was an Ex TAG, Founder and Life Member of the Air Crewmans Association and was an active member of the Committee in the Association's early days, serving as Chairman from 1981 - 1983 and Secretary from 1983 - 1985. He was also Chairman of the Goldfish Club, a member of Illustrious Association and on the Committee of the Fleet Air Arm Association.

We send our condolences to Ted's Wife Carole and his family.

He will be sadly missed by all who knew him.

God Bless Five Pints

Nigel Osborn
19th Jan 2005, 21:14
Sorry to hear about Ted's demise. I knew him very well in the RN, 707 Squadron. In fact I stayed with him and his family after I left the RN to sell him my car before setting out for Oz. He was involved in a very tragic mid air Wessex Mk1 accident on approach to Nanga Gaat in Borneo where he was the only survivor out of the 10 on board. He was wearing his crewman's harness and not his seat belt when the 2 Wessex hit. The G forces of the rotation flung him out of the main door and as he felt himself blacking out, undid his harness and dropped into the river. In the process he lost 2 fingers, his hair dropped out but grew back and later he lost his voice and virtually had to learn to talk again. The loss of his fingers never hindered him in his crewman's role and he always maintained his sense of humour.
My condolences to his family.

Mr Toad
22nd Jan 2005, 14:09
Farewell Ted Crispin and my grateful thanks go with him. He is plastered all over my early log-book.

This was a formidable character; the finest of a very fine breed of forthright naval aircrewmen. He taught me so much as a young Wessex pilot; above all, how to be humble - especially after I had dipped the nose scoops into the Indian Ocean at 110 kts and ripped them off. He ensured the dangers of over-confidence were well hoisted in.

Many of us will remember him long after his passing. My sincere condolences to his family.