PDA

View Full Version : What hard drive is best??

tired-flyboy
19th Jan 2005, 11:09
Hi guys,

I'm thinking of installing a new HDD into my comp but i'm a little stuck on what make to get.

I've narrowed it down to Maxtor, Hitachi or Western Digital.

Looking for about 80Gb to act as a secondary HDD.

Anyone know which would be the best manufacturer as i've heard horror stories about them all!

cheers in advance

Bre901
19th Jan 2005, 11:52
I happen to be looking for the same stuff (exactly).

There is some information already available on that forum, use the search button.

A thread mentioning WD drives (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=1643693&highlight=Western+AND+Digital#post1643693)

Flybywyre
19th Jan 2005, 12:48
I've installed and used all of those makes and never had a problem with any of them. Difficult to put one over the other, however I do like the tech support on the Maxtor website.
In fact I have just ordered (yesterday) a couple of Maxtor 80Gb to set up as RAID 0. The choice of which make was soley based on price and delivery time.
Good luck with what ever you choose,
Regards
FBW

Lost_luggage34
19th Jan 2005, 16:50
From personal experience I would go with Maxtor.

Been running them quite exhaustively for the past 7 years with no problems.

As has been mentioned, their support is excellent. If you do go Maxtor, they have some excellent diagnostic utilities available for download from their website.

goates
19th Jan 2005, 17:11
I haven't had any trouble with Maxtor or Seagate. My Seagate drives are a little quieter though.

goates

Fat Dog
20th Jan 2005, 13:49
Would strongly recommend a Hitachi 7K250 - have a look at sites like http://www.storagereview.com/ and you'll see that they are pretty much the best ide drives around (barring WD Raptors which are a bit of a different ball game). Got 2 in my rig - a 250Gb and a 120Gb, both have perfomed faultlessly since their installation.

Regards
FD

Bre901
20th Jan 2005, 21:25
Thanks for all the replies.

Guess I'll give a try at the Seagate 80GB 7200rpm (available, same price as the others and silent). I'll keep you posted.