PDA

View Full Version : Economy plus and United

Cargo_ramp
19th Jan 2005, 09:54
Just booked a flight with UA from EGLL to SFO and was wondering how does one get an upgrade to economy plus? I tryed to book a seat in that class but net or travel agent doesn't allow it. I read on UA's website its just for pax who might not have enough miles for first...Can i pay somewhere at the airport? any tips? (other than just pay full fare..and go first) cheers

PAXboy
19th Jan 2005, 12:32
You mention that you tried to book a seat in this class but you also ask about how to get an upgrade. Which one are you seeking, as the two are mutually exclusive! ;)

san diego
19th Jan 2005, 14:37
Economy Plus is the first 5 or so rows on the 777. These seats are allocated to those paying full economy fares, which to SFO would be around £1000 and members of Mileage Plus FF scheme, the higher the level, the greater the chance of sitting there.

If you haven't flown UA before, you are unlikely to qualify but it is worth joining the scheme, assuming they are going to make it out of bankruptcy, if you intend to fly regularly across the Pond. Economy Plus is not an upgraded service or better seat, unlike BA or Virgin, it is just extra legroom which on the SFO route would be very welcome! These are seats that cannot be bought in the sense of paying your way into them, and if you have bought the cheapest economy seat for £250, then enjoy row 42!

NZLeardriver
20th Jan 2005, 02:25
I have flown United a few times between the US and Japan. Usually economy plus is more than the first 5 rows. The first time I sat there I was originally assigned a seat way at the back by the window. As soon as the checkin lady gave me the boarding pass I repeated my request for an aisle. The new boarding pass was an aisle in economy plus.
Another time out of Chicago I just asked when checking in. I did have an AirNZ Star alliance card tho. But it was no problem.
All my flights were with the cheapest possible ticket.

PAXboy
20th Jan 2005, 02:40
san d: Thanks for that, I had not heard of this variation. I have only done United once and that was SFO~HKG in (thinks ... 1994) that was in coach and all aspects of the service were ghastly.

Ground staff (you could not call them 'welcoming' staff) set the style and it was downhill all the way. Whilst the flight was smooth enough and no operational problems, it was probably the worst sector of my life. the seat, the food, the fellow pax (mainly their noise) the staff, just EVERYTHING. Phew, I had forgotton how much I hated that trip until then! :(

--------------------
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you any different." Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Cargo_ramp
20th Jan 2005, 11:01
Thanks for all the advice...I'm already a millage plus member so I guess i'll just check in as usual and hope for the best.

Globaliser
20th Jan 2005, 17:47
san diego: Economy Plus is the first 5 or so rows on the 777. These seats are allocated to those paying full economy fares, which to SFO would be around £1000 and members of Mileage Plus FF scheme, the higher the level, the greater the chance of sitting there. Only higher tier members of the Mileage Plus scheme, or (I believe) of Star Alliance partner FF schemes, have pre-allocation access to Economy Plus other than by paying a full economy fare.

However, if there are unallocated Economy Plus seats still available at check-in, then as I understand it everyone gets a chance of getting one.

Having a look at some random dates for LHR-SFO in September, the 777 seems to have rows 17-26 as Economy Plus, and 30-43 as normal economy.

Land After
21st Jan 2005, 13:32
Star Alliance Silver and Golds also get these seats on preallocation.

BRUpax
21st Jan 2005, 19:02
What surprises me is that people actually still fly on United! Their service and (owing to poor morale) their personnel are presently among the worst in the industry. I used to be a regular (and to be honest they weren't that hot then either). But now, no longer. I feel sorry for the UAL workforce, but on the other hand generally (there are of course exceptions) their attitude does not encourage passenger loyalty.