PDA

View Full Version : AME freelance contracting questions

MD11Engineer
19th Jan 2005, 03:07
Since i might quite possibly have to join the international contracting circuit, I´ve got a few questions.
For myself, I´m holding a JAR B1 licence issued in Ireland with a type rating and a FAA A&P licence. I´ve done JAR 66 B1 type courses in Germany (7 weeks theory plus 2 weeks OJT) and FAA approved type courses (5 weeks theory). I´ve got some offers at hand, but don´t want to sell myself below value.

a) What is a typical hourly (weekly) rates for a licenced engineer (certifying staff), in Ireland, the UK and overseas (Far East)? What can I expect concerning night shift and weekend work?
b) How are travel to work and accomodation usually handled?
c) How does someone incorporate in the UK or Ireland?
d) How is medical insurance handled for overseas jobs?
e) If I provide my own tools, who is going to pay for the shipping of a heavy tool box?

I´ll be thankfull for any answer!

Jan

Bus429
22nd Jan 2005, 18:32
Hi MD,

Most of your questions depend on the agency you are with and the company with which you are placed.

I'll try to answer your questions in order:

a) 40 - 60 hours + a week currently the norm
b) If you are contracted to work outside the UK, the agencies I've been with generally arrange travel, recompense you or subsidise. Accommodation is also generally paid.
c) I'd recommend using an umbrella company such as Orange Genie - let them sort out all the details. Don't bother setting up a limited company.
d) Take out a multi-trip business insurance policy. Mine costs £150/pa. Arrange a loss of earnings policy (Scottish Widows run a reasonably priced scheme)
e) Some agencies will recompense excess baggage related to tools. I've never been charged excess out of the UK with a toolbox. I always get charged if flying out of Germany!