PDA

View Full Version : CD rom or books + support for ATPL, that is the question??

Spike001
18th Jan 2005, 20:22
Hi all,

I'm looking at doing distance learning this year, and Bristol and OAT are on my mind.

I see Bristol does the ATPL groundschool in CD rom format, and OAT does it in books.

This is really for those of you who have already done the course or doing it now.

What do you think of the CD Rom material, good enough, or should I look at studying with books?

I can see some draw backs studying with a CD Rom, what would one do if the power fails for a long period of time or the computer goes down; at least with books they are there infront of you in black and white, they are ready to read when you wish + portable! ;)

Although a CD rom would be very handy for explaining the workings of an engine with animations etc, along side reading.

How do you find the support with Bristol and OAT, good?

Is having a website adequate enough to answer questions, or is there a phone number that one could call for one to one chat (one of the disadvantages of distance learning I know)?

Am I also correct in thinking there are 12 month courses only?

Cheers

Charlie Zulu
19th Jan 2005, 06:54
Hi Spike,

I think you are missing some crucial information.

The Bristol Groundschool course is also provided by means of course books / folders that you work through. These books are backed up by a CD-Rom that contains animations, text and I also believe progress tests that are marked instantly (I may be wrong there though).

Oxford Aviation provides their course in books as you say but I don't think they have a CD-Rom as part of the course.

However Oxford also author and distribute a few good titles for ATPL studies including, "Aviation Meteorology", "VFR Comms", "IFR Comms", "ATPL Question Bank", etc etc...

Usually one completes the ATPL studies in a year or so. However there is not really a time limit and it can take you longer if you so wish. However the CAA state that all of your exams must be passed within the 18 months after your first pass at ATPL level.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.

Spike001
19th Jan 2005, 09:39
Many thanks for your help.

Quite a bit of that info I didn't know.

I've got Bristol's telephone number off their site, as the site itself isn't exactly helpful. OAT's site seems to be very user friendly, with all the relevant information on courses there to view easily.
Looks like one has to join the Bristol.gs forum to find out the information, because it sure didn't have any such info on the front page (I couldn't find it anyway) - good thing there is a telephone number.

Cheers

tu154
19th Jan 2005, 09:50
The bristol cd rom contains all the course material, so you can do it via that, or the text which you are also supplied with. As stated, the cd rom does have animations and a bank of progress tests that you do, then uplink the results to the school via the interwebthingy. You do get your results immediately.
I also used the oxford weather cd, it's very good, but as it contains the whole met course, you may not have time to do it twice.
There is no time limit other than that imposed by the caa from the time you take your first exam to the last. You study at your own pace, then when you think you may be ready for the revision course you book that, I would plan that a couple of months in advance. Also book accomodation well in advance, the closest ones to the school get booked out very quickly.
The website is very good for having questions answered. The instructors are quick to respond, and usually plenty of students too.
Best of luck with your decision.

Frank Furillo
19th Jan 2005, 10:53
Hi Spike
Have a look at Bristols Forum here: http://jals.co.uk/forum/
That will take you to it, without the need to register. I have just finished my Ground School with Bristol, I could not rate them better.
Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
FF

trevelyan
19th Jan 2005, 11:54
If you phone bristolgs they can send you an CD with all the info on it, including examples of the course notes, and examples of the animations that youget on the full blown version with the course.

Id recommend them without hesitation, the course material and the CBT are brilliant.

Good luck with your choice,

:)

jimbo jet set
19th Jan 2005, 16:36
Fully agree with the above. Nearly finished first module and very imprssed with clarity of notes and ease of use of CBT

Jimbo

:D

Jinkster
19th Jan 2005, 20:54
I can definately recommend:

The Oxford Met cdrom, brilliant.

I doubt you will be able to get hold of the Bristol CDROM unless you enrole on a course.

Oxford manuals - great, although very expensive and IMHO goes into too much depth.

Jinkster

Spike001
19th Jan 2005, 23:53
Many thanks all for your help. I'll know who to ask if I have any further queries.

Just to let you know, I've actually already phoned Bristol earlier today, and a CD rom is on the way, containing everything I need to know about the course.

I'm impressed that Bristol offer the CD rom along side books, a good plus when it concerns learning in my opinion. :ok:

I'll look at the Oxford MET CD when it comes to it, thanks for the recommendation. Ah Met, my favourite and best subject :ok:

Ok, waiting for the CD to arrive to evaluate.....

I feel 2005 is going to be a good year! :cool:

G SXTY
20th Jan 2005, 12:02
The BGS manuals and CD-ROM complement each other very nicely. The manuals are ideal for reading on the train to work, while the CD-ROM’s animations are particularly useful (I was even starting to understood gyros once I’d watched the movie a few times). ;)

The CD-ROM’s facility for instant marking is also extremely useful. In short, I work from the manuals and use the CD for tests, or for when I’m struggling with a particular subject – very flexible indeed.