PDA

View Full Version : Hk airlines going to get beat

Samsonite
5th Oct 2000, 18:44
Well as the pilot groups have tried to show the public over the last few years what these airline management groups are like i think we can now step down. We all know by now that their is a new air service agreement between SINGAPORE and HK and guess what,our 2 airlines of HK can't do anything as there is no person in either airline unless you have a possible mangmnt bonus at the end of the rainbow that wants to do more then they are reqrd to do for either airline. Sing air is going to come in here and do HK-Houstin,HK-Seattle,HK-San diego and twice a week HK-San fran on the freighter but we are all going to stand around because both of our mangmts haven't had enough insight. Well then the people of Hk might welcome another airline that has better FIRST AND BUSINESS CLASS service which CX caters too and charges a premium.Now the Hk airlines will say their operating yeilds are lower becuase of high Pilot costs but actually SQ's are 7% lower than ours and you can check that by looking at Air Transport worlds SEPT or aug issue which compares the yeilds of CX & SQ directly.So WHEN are the Swires and CNAC'S going to realise that they should do what most airlines do in the world when they know that they have to change things to keep up with the pace of the rest of the world. Lets put CEO'S in that have run an airline before and knows how to make an airline run like a clock and with people happy and make money. I was just down in OZ riding on ANSETT in the jumseat and one of the pilots said he would't work for CX for a MIllion OZ dollars.He Knows our managemnet and hasn't even worked here.These HK airlines do make money but they have had no real competition,where esle in the world do you say to your competitor,i will do international and you guys do China,No where. Well these managers from swire bottling companies don't have a clue on how to run an airline and now HK might have a new airline with as good of service and cx. The managements have spent to much time bunting heads with their pilots rather than the airlines of the rest of the world.Then our competitor walks in from next door and ready to take advantage. Someone give these boys the boot they need to wake up.They are still thinking hubs are the way of the future when everyone else in the world has realised that people would rather travel point - point with no connections.Another good one for the people of HK is that CX is wants to get positioned to the farthest gates (64 and such) their reasoning is that 40% of the pax connect onto other CX flights.Well thats fine but you are going to piss off 100% of the pax that board in HK as they will all begin to know that everytime they take CX they will have to take an extra 15 min to get out to fathest bays because thats where they want to park to cater to their CONNECTING pax.Yes i am a pilot of an HK airline but i feel we don't have to have a sick out to show the people and the government of HK what these management groups are about because it is all beginning to show. Sing air is going to show them what competition i and we can just keep working according to what our contracts say.

Tom Tipper
6th Oct 2000, 09:32
Phew, all that in one breath!
Good points there, but I wouldn't take too much notice of the Ansett pilot. Their brilliant management has seen their 60% domestic market share whittled down to 40% and with the arrival of Impulse and Virgin it's going nowhere fast.

Regarding the gates in HK, CX has little to do with gate allocation, they're given out by the HK Airport Authority.

Samsonite
7th Oct 2000, 07:31
From what they told us at the last business brief those are the gates they are going to get hence the reason for building a multi million dollar lounge out there in the boonies.

Kubota
7th Oct 2000, 07:47
...paid for by a further round of pay cuts to be announced in the fall...

BlunderBus
7th Oct 2000, 08:50
Don't be too sure about who authorises gates and why. Take a look around CLK and ask yourself why each operator parks where they do. Do you see KA southside? CX has a great deal of clout with HKAA and they will generally get what they ask(and pay) for. A la manila..they must have pissed off the airport manager(poor lowly fellow that he is travelling first class CX frequently on shopping trips with his wife!) as CX now 'parks around the back of the house'.

Rolling Rock
8th Oct 2000, 16:21
Just curious what kind of aircraft a trans-Pacific airline would use in San Diego (Lindbergh fld) with all of 9400 feet of runway for take-off and, due to displaced thresholds at both ends, less for landing. Whatever the airplane, make sure you have a good alternate. There is only one piece of concrete and the only precision approach is to RWY 09, the one they never use.

SAN DIEGO INTL-LINDBERGH FLD (SAN) N32°44.01' W117°11.38'

RWY 09-27: H9400X200 (CONC-ASPH-GVRD)
RWY 09: MALSR. TDZL. Thld dspicd 700'. Tree.
RWY 27: MALS. TDZL. PAPI(P4L)-GA 3.5° TCH 66'. Thld dspicd 1810'.

BUSDRVR
8th Oct 2000, 17:49
It is San Diego, the weather is always nice!

Take Off would be a problem and I would guess the route distance to to HKG would be another 50-100 nm more than LAX

But rights and whether you fly the route are two different things. IE HNL, CX has had rights there for years but we still don't go