PDA

View Full Version : As if we did not have enough to worry about...

SecurID
17th Jan 2005, 19:31
Dubai: A British politician warns that his country's expatriates could be hit with heavy tax demands by their government back home.

Conservative opposition lawmaker Howard Flight said he feared the UK's Labour government was planning to introduce a US-style citizenship tax regime.

This would cost many of the estimated 100,000 British citizens in the UAE tens of thousands of dirhams a year.

US citizens living abroad have to file annual US income tax returns, so Americans living in the UAE do not benefit from the country's tax-free regime.

British citizens in the UAE do not have to pay taxes to their home government, as long as they remain out of the United Kingdom long enough to be classed as non-resident.

During a visit to Dubai, shadow finance minister Flight said this system was at risk of being scrapped, so that British expatriates would have to pay up to 40 per cent of their UAE income to their home country.

"One thing the government is looking at is the residence and domicile rules. The fear is that they will make changes to taxation to a worldwide citizenship system," Flight said during an interview with Gulf News.

"I do think there is a chance this could happen. The Labour government is scratching around to increase revenue and they would see this as a fairly painless way of doing just that.
"It would really hit people [living in a place such as] Dubai. Most British citizens here would find themselves paying the higher 40 per cent tax rate on some of their income.

"If the government does anything, I would expect them to do it shortly after being elected, because it would be a nasty thing to do close to an election."

Tony Blair, the Prime Minister, is widely expected to call a general election for May, and is expected to win a third term in office.
Flight, a deputy chairman of the Conservative Party, said it was important for British expatriates to exercise their right to vote in the forthcoming poll.

British citizens who have been on the electoral register in a UK constituency in the past 15 years are able to vote in their country's general elections.

"Expatriates should want to vote to protect their own interests. Particularly in somewhere like Dubai, expats are working hard to save some money and return to the UK," said Flight, who has been regularly visiting Dubai on business for about 30 years.

boiler
18th Jan 2005, 05:12
While it is true Aericans have to file tax returns even if they live abroad, they do not pay taxes as long as their salary is below $84,000/year. This number generally increases about $2000 every year.

Asian Lancer
18th Jan 2005, 10:59
should nt worry most Emirates pilots are sub threshold anyway. Hey may even be able to claim for supplementary benefit in view of low income

Eddie_699
18th Jan 2005, 12:25
Hiya SecurID

May I know where did you get this news from ? If it's from a website I need the link please, I need to forward the link to come friends.

DON'T VOTE FOR BLAIR ...

Cheers

Eddie

Rosbif
18th Jan 2005, 13:43
This has been the situation for Canadians for a long time. I think it is likely that Canada would be used as a model, since we have a similar legal system.
You are considered resident here even if you have a car registered in your name, let alone a house. Being out of the country for x days a year is not enough.
Some Canadian pilots have divorced their wives so that their kids can go to school in Canada, and the money they send home is alimony (not taxed).
I am sure this is very scary for Limeys.

Bart O'Lynn
18th Jan 2005, 14:12
Oh youve got to giggle

Ghostflyer
18th Jan 2005, 14:31
Alternatively you could take the view that it is a load of blustering from a minor politician with an election nearing and really a none story. He isn't in the Government and is trying to make voters switch to the Tories by scaring them.

It would not be in the local's interests to either have the ex-pats leave or to have to have to pay them more money to keep them.

In the unlikely event it came to pass, how do you get around it? Firstly, it is very hard to police, forget the airline pilot, imagine the bar owner in Bangkok. Secondly, if someone is approaching the threshold, you change the way in which the money is accounted for. Make it an allowance rather than base pay. Its called tax avoidance, is perfectly legal and explains why most of the US armed forces have Florida rather than California as their home state.

Ghost:zzz:

ZFT
18th Jan 2005, 23:54
Ghostflyer,

Don’t concern yourself over BKK.

We already pay 37% income tax!!!!!

PS … and NO, I don’t own a bar more’s the pity!!!