PDA

View Full Version : Pre-ATPL studies

G-SP0T
17th Jan 2005, 16:27
Currently trying to get back into the maths and physics that i've not touched since college. Ive been using the BBC bitesize web site. but im not sure what is worth going over and what isn't. Any surggestions? or links to other useful sites, good books would be appreciated.:confused:

CAT3C AUTOLAND
17th Jan 2005, 17:09
GS,

I finished my ATPL's just over a year ago, and had similar thoughts to yourself prior to starting the course.

I found it extremely beneficial to come up to speed with what you learnt on your PPL course. Go over each an individual subject and make sure you are comfortable with the subject matter. For me it formed some solid building blocks to tackle the ATPL course. Remember that the ATPL subjects are not rocket science, however, the sheer volume of material may scare you, but don't let it, you will get through it as long as you put the work in.

With respect to the mathematics and physics involved, once again, its not really beyond GCSE level. Bring yourself up to speed on things like, pythagorous, triginometry, speed distance time calculations, newtons laws of motion, and basic thermodynamics. For you own benefit too, get hold of a CRP-5, and start using it to solve NAV problems, you need to know how to use this dam thing inside out for the General Nav exam.

Good luck, and enjoy it!

liverbird
17th Jan 2005, 19:07
Yo!! GS

boy i mentioned this two weeks ago..

If you contact Barry Hamblin a lecturer at Bristol ground school, he has put together a great little manual called mathematics for aviation. It’s all you need to get through the atpl exams.
:confused:
:ok:

High Wing Drifter
18th Jan 2005, 09:21
Agree 100% with CAT3C. Other bitesize things you may want to brushup on are transformations and factorisation. To reinforce the comment onthe CRP. I think I can state that if you are not 100% comfortable with the CRP, you will not have enough time in the exam.

wbryce
18th Jan 2005, 14:03
liverbird, is the notes available for purchase? Or are they hand out notes?

If so any contact details to get a copy of them?