PDA

View Full Version : The standard of RT

CRAZYBROADSWORD
17th Jan 2005, 16:15
Now this does not go for the majority of airfields just a few around London that I visit alot, but why do we have to put up with grumpy, unhelpful and some times rude guys in the tower. If an aircraft called up some where and started shouting and curseing people they would most likely be asked to foxtrot oscar, but if the guy in the tower does it and I won't mention anyone at Elstree nobody says a word.

It can be very hard to get confidence into students and new pilots about useing the radio as it is, but if they are terrified they might get shouted at for saying something wrong surely this presents a flight safety issue?

you only need to go to an airfield that has a frendly and professional person in the tower to see how much better things run, why can't we just kickout the bad ones.

kind regards CBS

Jonp
17th Jan 2005, 18:15
I think the standard of RT at ATC in the UK is pretty good. However, the standard of some pilots is quite unbelievable!

I have to say, that most of the poor RT comes form Fixed wing guys, and I find it appauling as to the number of occurences of Airspace conflicts I witness, only doing 300 hrs a year in a helo.

I agree, there are some miserable sods, however, if you use RT enough, you can usually end up with the last say - lets face it, they are there to help you. I have nothing but praise for London Inf, and the RIS you get from Military around the UK

Jon P

CRAZYBROADSWORD
17th Jan 2005, 19:24
I am beginning to see your point maybe there is a reason why they are grumpy tis london after all

Old Skool
17th Jan 2005, 19:58
after coming to the US i have found the ATC to be on the whole much more helpful and friendly. In fact the whole setup appears to be geared towards getting you into the air unlike the UK which feels the opposite.

Vfrpilotpb
18th Jan 2005, 08:13
There used to be a lady ATC.er at EGNM, she only did RT part time.... her full time job was training Rottweilers to attack!
Vfr

helicopter-redeye
18th Jan 2005, 13:46
maybe there is a reason why they are grumpy tis london after all

All the friendly ATC are up in God's own county. Enjoying a slice of Wensleydale with their tea, a sure formula for happiness.

I use another London airfield a lot and there is a gumpy towermeister (locally, Yorkshirespeak, "TowerMester") there as well.

American ATC generally quite relaxed and casual ("watch out guys, there's a chopper commin' thru"). Australian, too quick to follow... Say again.

Billywizz
18th Jan 2005, 15:25
Last year one of the high st aero publications did a survey and came up with the grumpy old men of ATC.
The winners in no set order I seem to remember were at Elstree Denham & Redhill.
They were all very helpful guys when I met them personally,
remember ATC have one hell of a job to do. you should give it a try just to find out what it is like on the other end of that headset.

The annual heli club flight over london with the Heathrow controllers is great for both sides to understand what is going on when we're using the heli lanes.

Give the guys a break, there are a lot more useless pilots blundering around on the airwaves

Gomer Pylot
19th Jan 2005, 05:19
Squirrel, I'm glad to see that there are rednecks over there as well.