PDA

View Full Version : Unaceptable Rosers in DECEMBER

777_Driver
16th Nov 2000, 16:18
Lets find out here who is up for Industrial action as these christmas Rosters are A DISGRACE

All those in Favour say 'Aye'

lets give Nick a fright to see how many of us are United here.

CATHAY PATHETIC
16th Nov 2000, 16:25
I'm all for it. Preferably a sick out over Christmas and new year. That will improve all the rosters.

Cathay Pacific will only improve our COS if we take firm industrial action and cost the company money.

HKer
16th Nov 2000, 18:06
Aye, come on guys let's let them know!!

cheklapsap
16th Nov 2000, 20:09
Don't bother here in this Forum. The message will come loud and clear from the correct and legal process of debate and ensuing vote at the meeting of the 22nd. See you there, or make sure your proxy is there.

Enola Gay
17th Nov 2000, 08:12
Mr Roster is F%#cked too - total disgrace.

I say 'Aye' and vote for Industrial Action NOW

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Checkmate
17th Nov 2000, 08:45
The Dec roster is only bad if you work it!

hailstone
17th Nov 2000, 09:00
as 'sympathetic' SLF, i would be interested in knowing what the F@#*$@ - up rosters look like.

care to share ?

Archaeopteryx
17th Nov 2000, 12:32
Hailstone. How about 7 days off (We call them G Days)in a period of 35 days, commencing 1 Dec.

Don Patrol
17th Nov 2000, 17:00
7 days off? LUXURY! We used to dream of 7 days off :)
Hey, what's a SLF?

Don Patrol
17th Nov 2000, 17:05
Slutty Looking Female??? :)

Checkmate
17th Nov 2000, 17:11
Self Loading Freight

hailstone
18th Nov 2000, 12:19
Archaeopteryx,
does that mean that you'll be flying on 28 days between dec 1st and jan 5th ?
how many hours / workhours does that translate to and how does it compare to a 'good roster' ?

Don Patrol, we also go by the term of passenger.

Checkmate, thanks for claryfying that one.

Archaeopteryx
19th Nov 2000, 12:46
It is a bit too complicated to explain here, but simply put my roster over that period is like this.
I have 7 days which I can guarantee to be with my family, and plan social events etc.
I have a period of 14 days on a block of stand-by during which I must be available at short notice to go anywhere, much of that will be used by the company.
The rest of the time is allocated to trips around Asia, and North America. They will probably be changed around at short notice.
All my rosters are the same these days, so I guess a good one is, if I get 9 G Days.

Guru
19th Nov 2000, 14:25
Archaeopteryx: how are your G-days allocated? are they 7 days straight in a row or scattered around the month? and the 14 days when you're on call? are you going to be in HK during those?

hailstone
20th Nov 2000, 08:05
Archaeopteryx,

does that mean that in a 35 day period you have 7 days that are scheduled 'OFF' days and another 9 'G' days that you get as 'compensation' for being on call, etc ?
that would be 16 days 'OFF' out of 35 days.

am not saying that is too much, in the contrary for the responsibility that you carry if you are cockpit crew, but in 35 days (make that 5 weeks), i have alternate saturdays off and every sunday (that's 8 days) - my normal workhours are 0800-1800 (but that usually stretches out to 0800-2000/2100, plus i am 'on call for information and clients 24 hours a day, 7 days a week) - i do have a familiy (wife and two kids) as well.

a neighbour of mine is captain on SQ and i can understand your seeing that kind of rostering as f$@#*@-up - all kidding aside - SYMPATHIES

Archaeopteryx
20th Nov 2000, 11:08
Hailstone/Guru. I have 7 G days off scattered all over my roster. No more, no less. The rest of the days have some form of duty assigned to them. As for stand-by I could end up anywhere on the network.
I hope you do not think I am being rude, but as I said, rostering is a complex subject. It is easy for the layman to misunderstand, as you appear to have.
Thank you, if as you say you are a passenger, who is sympathetic to our cause. I hope I have the pleasure to take you from A to B, safely and on time, once our rosters are sorted out.
Guru. A word of advice. You seem like a keen young man, but you should spend more time on your studies, and less time on PPRUNE.

[This message has been edited by Archaeopteryx (edited 20 November 2000).]

hailstone
20th Nov 2000, 14:48
arache.....
is that then 7+9=16 days off in 35 days or only the 7 days ? really got me curious, now.

Magenta Line
20th Nov 2000, 15:07
Hailstone,
I think what arca-somebody is trying to say is that he gets 7 days off (aka G's) period.
That's not a lot if you, during most of those working days, don't get home at all.
Another problem is that the roster is very unstable and changes at short notice. You might be schuduled for a morning turn-around to MNL or TPE at 6 am and expect to get home in the early afternoon. So you make plans for the evening or late afternoon. But guess what....the day before they change it so you end up getting home at midnight and all your plans go down the drain. That's ok if it occurs once in a while but when it becomes the norm, then......you get pretty sick of it.

Strimmer Trimmer
20th Nov 2000, 22:32
Seems a pretty bad situation. Is it the same across all fleets, or do some guys get it worse than others? How about the freighter guys - do they get mucked around as well?

unabungler
21st Nov 2000, 07:01
Strimmer trimmer,
Can't speak for the freighter guys, but practically ALL on the Pax fleet are getting shafted as often as possible.
Sometimes a rostered flight changing 3 or 4 times before it's actually flown.

Maybe rostered for an early morning Manilla turnaround, planning to be back in HKG by early afternoon. Then that changes to an overnight in Narita, or Singapore, changed then to a late split duty for Taipei, only to end up doing a 4 day Vancouver or San Francisco.

Crew are getting mighty fatigued, and CATHAY PACIFIC MANAGEMENT POLICY is setting this company up for a major accident/incident.

Probably what they would call "Acceptable Hull Loss"

Sad isn't it??

hailstone
21st Nov 2000, 15:38
ML,
thanks for that clarification - as previously posted, i symphatize with you and your cause (if you are 'sicking' out during the holidays, even if that will pi55 a lot of us SLF off and we will have to fly with alternate carriers)

albatrossuk
22nd Nov 2000, 20:14
with rosters like that , is it worth the money ???
u only have one shot at this 'life' and it sure is worth more than being a slave to cx and having no time/control over it....
if your all loaded enough with dosh...try some pocket money with 'virgin'...only 4 trips per month and at least 14 days off per mth on the -400..a few have tried it and love the relaxation...its good socially too..

SOPS
23rd Nov 2000, 01:39
Well, I know you wont believe it, but Im off for my standard, full pay, 15 weeks annual leave. Tried to work for CX once but they said no, and yes I dont earn the money, but hey, there are other advantages. After 15 weeks off (remember on full pay) I still have six weeks oweing, and then another 11 allocated on 1/3/2001. Life could be better, but its not that bad.