PDA

View Full Version : exodus at emerald???

straightnotlevel
16th Jan 2005, 20:03
has it started??

Mobster lover
16th Jan 2005, 20:06
Yes...........Could the last one out turn off the lights.

straightnotlevel
16th Jan 2005, 20:14
are the emerald pilots going to brunei??

Mobster lover
16th Jan 2005, 20:21
Not that I know of, I think the ATP lot are going to Monarch, I think the Shed guy's are off to Netjets, but not being on their fleet I'm not 100%.

There was a bit of hooha about some Brunei cadets coming to Emerald, is that what you are referring to?

straightnotlevel
16th Jan 2005, 20:37
hooha at emerald?? surely not?

Mobster lover
16th Jan 2005, 20:39
Never seen one myself, what colour are they?? Are we talking about the lesser spotted HooHa? Or just the standard everyday one?

jafo33
18th Jan 2005, 01:49
Well, it's started with a vengeance! Ten down and more to go soon no doubt.

Despite our best efforts MOB is determined to trash the company. Still, shouldn't have joined if you can't take a joke!;)

Pontious
18th Jan 2005, 01:55
Which bit of a hoohaa? The legs? The beak?....

:ok:

Mobster lover
18th Jan 2005, 10:32
No it's A**e!
Jafo, it seems from my sources that there are at least another 7-8 who are about to disappear, they just haven't told the company yet!

It'll be sad to see the mob all alone in the portakabins (sorry offices) with the lights off shouting "I'm still right and you're all wrong...... Hello anybody there......?"

cavortingcheetah
19th Jan 2005, 16:09
:O
Anyone want to use the flight services of an old, old 748 pilot.
I know where the GPS is located. Somewhere, I think, near Rwy 17(?) at LBA! The Chevy.
:eek:

RVR800
20th Jan 2005, 12:52
http://flyjem.com/ea_old/trto.htm

Possum3
20th Jan 2005, 12:57
cavortingcheetah, on a similar vein I am a 62 year old ex. ATP captain and would consider any offers from Emerald re. employment, a jobs a job for a' that.

Possum3.

banditsat3oclock
20th Jan 2005, 14:39
Can anyone explain the root of the problems at Emerald????

Bottom Feeder
20th Jan 2005, 15:04
Three letters buddy, MOB. ;)

banditsat3oclock
20th Jan 2005, 15:28
Sorry can you expand - I am considering doing something with Emerald - but cautious as it requires us to lay out some large capital....

I have no experience of Emerald ........

jem star
20th Jan 2005, 15:33
will 2nd that B F,

apparantley we couldnt even get someone to operate GPU this morning at Ronaldsway, what hope is there exactly!
MOB is far too concerned with what other airlines are doing when he should be consntrating on running Emerald, Im personally sick and tired of trying to work for a joke of an airline.
Good luck to the new boys on line there gonna need it

pilotbear
20th Jan 2005, 21:59
Yes please, I would like to know more about this company before I consider an investment:cool:

Canada Goose
20th Jan 2005, 23:29
What investments ? Financial ? ............. ohh no, please not another airline expecting recruits to pay for type ratings surely ! Nuff money spent already !!

:{

B772
21st Jan 2005, 02:04
If it helps I saw an advertisement recently for ATP pilots on flightdeckrecruitment.com by President Airlines

Mobster lover
21st Jan 2005, 23:56
£13K for an ATP rating!!!!!! With all the movement going on at the moment throughout the industry, it may not prove to be a smart move, but it's your cash...... Waste it how you wish.

Current employees are being offered a move to the ATP at the bargain price of £11K. I'm still absolutely speechless at the gall of it. Strangely enough, there haven't been many takers. Odd that.

jafo33
22nd Jan 2005, 02:03
To all of you wanting to know more about Emerald - suggest you spend a few minutes doing a search here on Pprune.

God knows we've posted enough stuff for you to see what a mess the company is in!

helibitz
22nd Jan 2005, 02:28
Are there any good points about working for emerald?

Mobster lover
22nd Jan 2005, 12:40
Apart from the people you fly with and many of the other staff, no not really.

cwllpl
22nd Jan 2005, 16:48
is the slow death finally coming to emerald

ops 69
22nd Jan 2005, 18:26
you may be right cwl the death of emerald is close but what a shame as there are a lot of good guys there and its being dragged down by a certain individual

banditsat3oclock
23rd Jan 2005, 11:43
Is this not just some management manoeuvring to keep costs down? Seems Emerald has always run on a tight budget - but always returned profits - and in fairness to its drivers and crew the services are usually reliable?

Mobster lover
23rd Jan 2005, 13:11
Tragically I don't think so. Things are so bad that we are seriously annoying customers, by not having the aircraft or crews. Our punctuality is pretty abismal, as is our serviceability rate.

We have a few crazy situations, such as taxis being sent up to LPL and CVT from Luton, simply because the Coventry and Liverpool taxi firms won't supply us since their bills haven't been paid for months. How much money does that waste?

Having spoken to some of the Shed crew, it also seems as though one of the handling agents on one of their routes are expecting to be paid upfront now, again as their bills haven't been paid. This is embarrasing for all involved.

I don't think this is actually a case of not having any money, or that the company is on shaky ground, more to do with the sheer incompetance of the management "team."

banditsat3oclock
23rd Jan 2005, 16:32
Mobster

You are right - it does really sound good or add up - How much of the companys' income and profit was lost with the loss of the mail flights....they paid well and on time...was this the turning point?

Nothing makes much sence as having ousted ChanEx in Channel Isands there are now 3 aircraft doing what one did....how can this be cheaper for the customers...more crew - more a/c more fees - more fuel......

Mobster lover
23rd Jan 2005, 17:10
The loss of the mail flights was a blow initially, but the company seems to have plenty of work, with new contracts starting all the time. How well these are paying I have no idea.
The problem is, that whilst we have more work, we have less crew than ever before and aircraft are also not getting the routine maintenance that they need, so they are going tech down route, costing far more than just looking after them properly in the first place.

However this is nothing compared to the complete chaos caused by the utterly botched introduction of the ATP's. Money has been poured away on those basket cases. With all sorts of rumours of nest feathering in Blackpool. (A certain someone owning the recruitment company that supplies all the contract engineers.....) and total stuff ups and non-compliance to CAA requests.

The Budgies and Sheds are still doing the business under apalling conditions, poor old ops/crewing are doing an amazing job trying to keep the show on the road under unbelievable pressure, but is there any light at the end of the tunnel?
Every time you think it cannot get worse, it does and I hate seeing this company that I do care for going to rack and ruin purely because of one mans greed, arrogance and stupidity. (spleen vented, rant over, C.V's in the post.)

banditsat3oclock
23rd Jan 2005, 18:50
OK another dumb question but what is the history / track record of Mr MOB....?

cwllpl
23rd Jan 2005, 20:06
track record:

sack
sack
sack
it's all their fault
i'm always right
:*

Mobster lover
23rd Jan 2005, 20:15
Delta, I wish I knew the answer to that.

Our esteemed leader? I believe he started as a loader many moons ago, how he reached his current level I'm afraid I have no idea. Though I understand that he has no formal training or qualifications to run the business (not a pre-requisite I know, but useful none the less.)

His track record? See cwllpl's response.

74Freight
23rd Jan 2005, 21:37
MOB has a good track record for squeezing profit out of the company and for going out and finding contracts which is probably why he is in the job.
Until the ATP introduction, emeralds profit as percent of turnover was one of the highest in the industry.
Unfortunately running things this tightly often upsets staff, taxi companies and customers and may be counter productive in the long run.

Mobster lover
23rd Jan 2005, 21:54
Short term his tactics may work, but not over any decent period of time. Any idiot can run a business into the ground and cut costs everywhere. A good business man realises that staff relations in a smallish company are vital. You are never going to please everybody, but to destroy morale and profitability like this is criminal.

If there were shareholders involved, they would have been baying for his blood by now after this year.

In some cases I know that our customers are seriously unhappy. MOB may be alright at getting contracts, but that is what he should stay doing, not mucking about with things he has neither the wit nor intelligence to bother trying to understand.
Such as:
No maintenance = broken down aircraft. Murphy's law then states that this will happen as far from support as possible.
Aggravate your staff = All decent staff will leave when the opportunity arises, also crews can make and break an outfit. Treat them like idiots and a few will get all militant on you, causing small problems to become far greater. Start getting really nasty and you'll realise just how big some pilots ego's are. I've heard the phrase "f**k 'em!" far more often recently. Good will has disappeared and the constant threats he makes to the fleets "now I've got the sheds, I don't need you lot" and I'm sure vice versa just makes us despise him even more.
Discretion, what's that???? Threats aren't likely to make me want to use it on principal.

jafo33
24th Jan 2005, 11:37
I should imagine the CAA and others will be looking even more closely at Emerald after one of our Sheds blew a tyre and left the runway at EIN last Friday. Glad to say the crew were unharmed, if shaken, and it's probably down to them that more serious damage was avioded.

However it begs the question as to what other faults an aircraft that was laid up for over 4 months prior to an engine change could be hiding?

Penny-pinching might be good for profit, but wondering if you will be allowed to leave an airport because the handlers and landing fees have not been paid is not good for morale.

The company has always been good at making a profit in hard times. However, it has never been the size it is now - the fleet is 3 times larger than it was in 2002 and the route structure goes further into Europe than the company have gone before.

Unless down-route support is provided for critical European contracts, to repair tech aircraft quickly, customers will be going elsewhere.

Mobster lover
24th Jan 2005, 11:55
Glad to hear they are O.K. Who was it if you don't mind me asking? Which aircraft? Was it the 330 that's been stuck down in Coventry for an age?
A PM would probably be best.

Amen to your other comments.

Fangio
24th Jan 2005, 11:59
How can you make such statements about MOB.
He is a caring, understanding man. He is only concerned about the the welfare and wellbeing of his staff and makes sure that his aircraft are fully serviceable for you to enjoy your well organised roster. Keep smiling!

Mobster lover
24th Jan 2005, 12:08
Absolutely!! You either smile or cry about all of this!

fragul
28th Jan 2005, 10:02
:confused:
On a related topic, an access hatch from one of the budgies was apparently left on the runway at EMA this morning......

whitingiom
28th Jan 2005, 14:48
I've just booked a ticket for next Thursday.....will there be someone left to fly me?

Impressive_Wingspan
28th Jan 2005, 17:07
Jafo33

I should imagine the CAA and others will be looking even more closely at Emerald after one of our Sheds blew a tyre and left the runway at EIN last Friday. Glad to say the crew were unharmed, if shaken, and it's probably down to them that more serious damage was avioded.

I'm sure the CAA will go rushing up to EIN, this must be the first burst tyre in history, and it's certainly the first i've heard of:confused:

Sorry Jafo, thumbs down for that one mate, cut Emerald a bit of slack, tyres burst. However if what you are driving at in the post is substandard maintenance of aircraft, i would arm myself with VERY solid facts and put them to the CAA!

As for the exodus at Emerald, (and this isn't aimed at you jafo, but Emerald whingers in general) is there not threads running about an exodus at Flybe and Eastern. They (Emerald) are a turboprop operator and people go to get experience and move on. They have given you the experience to get a better job, paid you, and you are now slagging them off as people move on. That is so juvenile it really is amazing.

jafo33
28th Jan 2005, 20:30
Wow, you've never heard of a burst tyre before - must have led a sheltered life;)

So what you're saying is that, simply because you may move on in 2-3 years (the average at the moment in Emerald), whilst you are there you don't have the right to complain about poor maintenance, illegal rosters or any other problems?

A little sad really. Especially considering the two incidents in the last 7 days. But by your remarks, we should accept the fact that we don't get rosters until after they have started, because, "hey, you just have to do the time". Is that right?

It's a little like the argument the school bullies used to use - The new kids get bullied by the older kids, because they got bullied when they were new, and so on. Just keeping the tradition going. Don't break the cycle. So at Emerald you keep quiet about what goes on, legal or otherwise, even if the lives of your friends or colleagues are put at risk, because that is what everyone has done before you.

Pretty despicable really. But so easy to preach sitting comfortably in your Airbus or Boeing.:(

Mobster lover
30th Jan 2005, 00:16
I_W, sorry, but the situation at Emerald is far beyond the realms of normality. Maintenance is appalling, I can furnish you with numerous examples that would scare the pants off you that the CAA are aware of but as such have taken no action......yet.

As JAFO has mentioned, it is getting to the stage where something very bad is lurking just around the corner. Trying to equate Emerald with FlyBE or Eastern is nonsensical. We aren't even close to them and from what I understand, that is saying something!

Unless you are working for Emerald or have done in the past, then you can have no idea what it is really like. We had the awful situation of a 748 captain being suspended as he refused to take an aircraft that had been damaged by a ground handling unit. Is that acceptable? Not really.

Try Emerald and see how you like it, I'm sure there'll be plenty of jobs available soon.

UFGBOY
30th Jan 2005, 02:55
Are they not owned by Air Contractors now?

Mobster lover
30th Jan 2005, 09:39
No, BAC express were bought by ACL not Emerald. Though a change of management would be welcome!

74Freight
30th Jan 2005, 12:25
It was apparently SSWA (the only Shorts330 "flying" in Europe) which burst a tyre at EIN, I think some undercarriage damage was done as well as it is still parked there.
This happens occasionally and cannot really be put down to poor maintenance unless it was caused by a sticking brake or something similar.
it is worrying when flights have to be cancelled or go very late as a lot of peoples' jobs depend on these contracts, most of us want the company to succeed, although not the best employer it does give a good start to new pilots or a career for those of us a bit older.
hopefully we will soon be over the problems of ATPs draining all the profit.

ops 69
30th Jan 2005, 21:13
its a real shame that emerald are on there last legs as there are some really hard working good guys and girls there but when the mob admits they are dying a slow death that really must mean the end. the atps will be the end of emerald

Ransman
30th Jan 2005, 21:42
Any BAC Express guys out there, we still have a cabinet in the (old) IOM crewroom belonging to you guys, not much in it, just a few forms etc. Can we bin it?

Ballymoss
30th Jan 2005, 21:56
Firstly, to those who may have read my three posts which were removed from this thread; From beneath my cloak of anonimity may I as publically as possible offer my sincere apologies for any offence caused. To Danny..Thanks for lifting my temporary ban on posting on this thread!

Now, as I was saying:mad: :mad: :rolleyes: :confused: :} :yuk: :ugh:

Oh well, I've had to censor myself. To all you guys and gals working for the MOB, there is greener grass beyond LPLJL Intl airstrip. Hang on in there, he'll eventually disappear up his own:mad: :mad: reading MOL's micro guide to staff relations.

Rgds
The Moss

Fangio
30th Jan 2005, 22:23
Ops69

What proof do you have about Emerald being on its last legs?

Do you have access to their current trading account?

Do you, or have you worked for them in the past?

helibitz
31st Jan 2005, 19:33
Anyone know anything about the course on the 748 supposed to be starting on the 7th feb?
What about their recent ( last week ) seminar re new pilots for atps/ 748

Mobster lover
31st Jan 2005, 20:52
One of our crewing bod's is supposedly starting her 748 course on the 7th. About time too. It's a travesty how she's been treated. It'll be a shame to lose her from crewing though.

Oh and another resignation today.........

Noise_Jammer
1st Feb 2005, 11:43
Looking at using the LPL - IOM route in July 05 (self loading cargo);) Is there likly to be a service?

torquetube
1st Feb 2005, 12:10
YES THERE WILL!!
I'm sure Emerald will see over any short term problems with getting all the ATP's on line and they should start paying real dividends.
I for one give Emerald my vote and think that they have a really good group of people working for them.:ok: :O

REF: OPS 69

I think he is talking cr@p.
The ATPs will start to turn a profit after all refitting is completed.
There is no better machine for these short routes and windy locations.
I know.
the a/c burn 100kgs LESS an hour than the 748,carry up to 72 pax max, at higher speed(although not that fast!!) and ARE reliable.
Good luck to Emerald, putting on RJs on similar routes could prove costly and can't compete.
It'll all come out in the wash.:ok:

Doctor Cruces
1st Feb 2005, 12:34
ATPs may be reliable, but then again so are 748s if you service them properly.

Having worked for them I have to agree with Dada's frequent saying a right shower (cleaned up a bit). That is the management, not the workers. The guys and gals at the coalface are the only reason Emerald is still afloat. Without their goodwill (and God alone knows how the mobster keeps it) it would have been down the pan years ago.

Doc C

Phileas Fogg
1st Feb 2005, 12:52
(One of our crewing bod's is supposedly starting her 748 course on the 7th. About time too. It's a travesty how she's been treated. It'll be a shame to lose her from crewing though.)

So the rosters can't have been that illegal then!!!

Mobster lover
1st Feb 2005, 13:22
What Illegal rosters? Mine is always late, but I don't remember seeing anything on it that could be deemed illegal.

Anyway the lady in question doesn't write our rosters.

Krystal n chips
1st Feb 2005, 14:21
Torquetube---er, ahem. Sorry to butt in here. Re. your comment "ATP's are reliable"----er no, they are not. They are also expensive to maintain plus time consuming.

I have / had a long association--non of it good !--with the beast and I also have a good knowledge of the maintenance costs--and they are high to put it mildly. Sorry, but you are wrong in this instance.

Mobster lover
1st Feb 2005, 14:50
I never thought I'd hear the words reliable and ATP in the same sentence unless reliable was preceded by UN.

I cannot think of an a/c less suited to Emerald's way of operating. Anything as maintenance intensive as the super Budgie is going to be a complete nightmare.
Just how many ATP engineers do we have on staff? Is that none? Oh yes it is. All contractors at the moment. They are really going to want to be heading off into the field at O dark 30 to fix a misbehaving ATP.

The ATP is fine if you throw tons of spares at the thing. Not the way we work currently.

eurobitch
1st Feb 2005, 15:18
ops 69 quote:

YES THERE WILL!!
I'm sure Emerald will see over any short term problems with getting all the ATP's on line and they should start paying real dividends.
I for one give Emerald my vote and think that they have a really good group of people working for them.

REF: OPS 69

I think he is talking cr@p.
The ATPs will start to turn a profit after all refitting is completed.
There is no better machine for these short routes and windy locations.
I know.
the a/c burn 100kgs LESS an hour than the 748,carry up to 72 pax max, at higher speed(although not that fast!!) and ARE reliable.
Good luck to Emerald, putting on RJs on similar routes could prove costly and can't compete.
It'll all come out in the wash.

[Last edited by torquetube on 1st February 2005 at 13:32]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Im not going to rant and rave and bitch about emerald, no need
MOB doing a good enough job and dragging emerald down without any help!
As for the RJ....LOL... come out of your dream world...Emerald wont be around long, cant compete against an RJ...If your honest what would you rather fly in?

:)

Mobster lover
1st Feb 2005, 15:53
A 737 or A320!! I don't think a Jet makes any kind of sense with a stage length like IOM to LPL even if it is an RJ. f run properly, a turboprop will ALWAYS be more profitable on a route that short.