PDA

View Full Version : Outlook Express 6

Bigwings
16th Jan 2005, 19:15
Hi all, I've just started to experience a bit of a weird problem. I'm running OE6 under XP Pro SP1 and up until a couple of days ago there were no problems.

Last night I tried to both add and amend 2 email addresses. OE6 allows me to do this, but when I close it down and re-open it both emails have reverted to the original addresses.

I've had a look at M$ knowledge base but didn't manage to find a resolution to the problem.

Any help very much appreciated

Thanks in advance

Bigwings :ok:

Flybywyre
16th Jan 2005, 21:11
Hello Bigwings............

What proccess did you use to "add and amend 2 Email addresses" ?

Regards
FBW

Bigwings
17th Jan 2005, 09:50
Hi FBW and thanks for the reply. I choose the name from the contacts, (address book), select properties and then I try to change or add the email address. This is the way I've always done it and up until now it's always worked.

Unfortunately this no longer works, the mail address changes but when I re-open OE6 the new address has gone and it has reverted to the original.

Bigwings :confused:

maxell
17th Jan 2005, 10:28
Take it you are using the edit tab.

Address book/contact/properties/name then edit change addy then OK should lock the change in place

Max

Bigwings
17th Jan 2005, 10:38
Cheers for that maxell, afraid to say it doesn't work. The other strange thing I've just noticed it that I can't even delete the email address or add a completly new one either...

Bigwings :confused:

Bigwings
18th Jan 2005, 11:25
Any more suggestions guys? I've searched and searched and can't locate a solution anywhere.

Bigwings :{

maxell
18th Jan 2005, 14:08
I wonder if you have somehow made your address book a read only file.
Try looking in program files/outlook express folder for a .wab file or address book file right click on it then properties see if it has a tick in the read only box if it does remove it click ok and try again

Max

Bigwings
18th Jan 2005, 17:22
Go to the top of the class Max. It was read only, took the tick out but the problems were still there. I then had a thought. I used to use M$ Outlook, the one that comes with office. Removed it via control panel and all is now fine, (apart from the fact that I've lost my address book).

Never mind :eek:

Thanks again mate for yours and everyone elses help.

Few Cloudy
19th Jan 2005, 14:48
Erm - if you are on XP Pro, it might just be worth while to do a system restore to a date where your address book was available, copy it as a csv file and then do your thing again.

Then you can reload the addresses.

Bigwings
19th Jan 2005, 23:28
Thanks FC, did that, all works well. Happy lad again.